Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2003, 02:45 PM
SVXMAX

Post First Car?

Hey, I think that the SVX is one of the weirdest, cool, and unique cars ever made. I'm only 15, and I found one on a lot that I am in love with. Its a good price, and in good working order. Would you guys recommend this as a good, fun, durable car? I have heard of some problems with the transmission over heating, and the bearings going out all the time. If you would drop me a message and tell me what you think! Thanks!!!!!

~Any help will help~

Last edited by SVXMAX; 01-05-2003 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-05-2003, 02:52 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Remembering what I did with my first car, I wouldn't recommend the SVX.

I'd say that the SVX fits all of your criteria (good, fun, durable car), but that depends on your definitions of those words. The car is remarkably reliable for what it is, but it also doesn't take kindly to abuse. Neither does any car, but the SVX's repair prices are considerably higher than most.

It's a great car, and it'll take care of you if you treat it well, but don't expect to slide sideways around corners and drag race with it.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 01-05-2003, 03:21 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
The SVX is my first car. My recommendation is dont buy it unless you can afford to maintain it because it probably will need wheel bearings and brake rotors like mine does. Otherwise its a great car that does well in everything you name. It has really good acceleration, very comfortable to drive, has a lot of features most new cars dont have. If I had a second chance to get my first car i'd still pick the svx. Just be prepared so you arent too shocked if you need to get something repaired.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 01-05-2003, 06:34 PM

the SVX was also my first car and i love it.....w/ the exception of the fact that two weeks after i got it the tranny went. but everything has been good since then.

1998 Acura Integra LS 74k Sold 1/07
2007 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner SR5 .04k!
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab, 4x4 TRD Sport
Old 01-05-2003, 06:58 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Remember, trannies cost money. As much as some SVXes themselves. So... Just know what you are getting into.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 01-06-2003, 08:15 AM
hotshoe50

an SVX at 17???

Lwin, you are absolutely right!!!

My svx was 1300usd and the trans job was 3500cdn.

Actually it cost $4200 but AAmco lowered the price because they had NOT been authorized to spend this much of my money... They were supposed to install the ImprezaRS package I had and said that the trans rebuild on such a great condition auto was the way to go....

Live and learn...

As a first car for a teen ager, never!!! You need deep pockets and these are not cars that can be nursed along with lots of mechanical glitches: be smart and buy a Civic Si

Thats me and I'm just goofin around!!

Hotshoe
Old 01-06-2003, 08:59 AM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Unhappy Mixed Emotions....

With the limited number of SVX's out there I'm saddened that another one is going to such a young driver. Please don't flame me about being critical of younger drivers. The statistics show that a 16 year old will be in an accident within 12 months of getting their permit to drive. I've quietly been watching the reports of accidents and wrecks reported here in the boards and to my jaundiced old eyes I just see another SVX being turned into a parts car.

I wish there was something we could do to drive the price up so that the 3000-6000 USD that a young person needs to come up with was a little higher and out of their reach.

SVXMAX, please understand that this is not a slam at you personally. I was 16 and a Sophomore in High School when I got my license and my Uncle sold me a beautiful '52 Merc Monterey with red and white tuck and rolled leather seats....for a mere 250.00 USD God, I loved that car..... Flat 8 with all the (at the time) bells and whistles..... I plowed that beauty into the back of a little old lady's Pontiac on the way to a football game (we had 12 kids in the car!!) That same car today just went on auction for 29,000 USD!!!

If you do buy the SVX put on blocks and restore it as a project.... buy an old Justy or a 4WD Station Wagon (Subaru of course for safety's sake) get that first accident out of the way in a car that can be replaced....... Then when you turn 25 or so... break out that SVX and enjoy!! I know ten years!!! But trust me.... you will wreck your first car.... or it will be wrecked by someone else not really your fault. With age, and 10 years of experience you just might be able to avoid one of the other idiots out there on the road and protect your car....... I'll climb off my soapbox now and wish you lots of luck and joy driving what-ever you end up with!
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 01-06-2003, 09:19 AM
Alcyone SVX LSL

I must say Mitch is right in some ways and not in others...
The SVX is my second car and i will be 17 this month, my first car never has been in a wreck I would sugest the SVX if you really are into cars, if you dont have the fund you either better know how to fix stuff yourself...me on alot of stuff, and if you have fair bit of the green stuff you will want to be able to pay for some shop time for sure. I personaly wouldnt suggest it for your first car, maybe a $2,000 car to start off with, that is what i did and now that car is worth more than blue book beacuse of my time and effort that made it like new almost. I am a guy who is very safe, yet i have been bumped once in each car. A wreck in a SVX means either you will be putting loads of money into it or you will just have it totaled meaning one less SVX on the road...none of us here want that. I believe most of the people here really really have a passion for this car you must have that to want to own one.
Old 01-06-2003, 09:27 AM
scottswaaley

I am 18 and attending college. I am poor and have limited time. However, I seem to keep my SVX in great shape. The only thing you need to consider is how much effort and time you are willing to give. If you are dedicated...get it. If it is borderline, go get a Honda Civic or something. Or a volvo, that is a good first car...it's invincible.
Old 01-06-2003, 09:47 AM
scottswaaley

In addition to my previous post - you might want to own a couple diffrent cars in your lifetime. If you get the SVX, you'll never like any of the others.
Old 01-06-2003, 10:17 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Hi SVXMAX,

Be real nice to it and it will last. Drive it like you want it to last. Of course check out all possible problems before you buy:
Timing belt, tie rods, bent rims, CV joints/axles, tranny, last tune-up, electric problems, tranny mount, working AWD, rear diff bushings, rusty exhaust, rusty rear strut mounts, leaking tail lights. Wheel bearings haven been a problem on my car so far. Brake rotors are usually needed on any car with 80K mile plus.

Good Luck
Old 01-06-2003, 11:20 AM
SVXnCO

First car

I am still only 16, so I don't have the experiences of a lot of the people here. My first car was an Acura Legend. It was reliable and nice to drive ( and could still outrun the ghetto Hondas with intake/exhaust). This was a very good car to start with since it got very good gas mileage and could easily be fixed. Then I moved onto the SVX. I would say get something a little more reliable and easily fixed for your first car. But, like MT maniac said, if you are really into cars, the SVX is good for you.
Old 01-06-2003, 11:24 AM
Jay_Walker

My first Car was not a car, but actually a truck. I got it while I was a senior in HS. Which was only a couple of years ago. A 1970 Chevey c10. Oh that was the greatest hunk of junk I ever saw. You could see the ground through the floor, pieces would fall off while I drove, it got 10 miles to the gallon. It had driven so far that the odometer had actually rolled over and read under 100 thousand miles again. It finally blew up with me at the wheel on my way to pick up a date for winter formal. My SVX, as you can see, was a huge leap in quality and performance. but sometimes I still miss my old beater. Unfortunatly the SVX may have ruined me for other vehicles. Mine tranny went a while back and the circumstance got so bad that I even made it out to a car lot. But I could find nothing that even compaired to what I was used to. Well for an attainable price anyway. So I gave up and took to walking for a few months, scrimping and saving the whole time. I'm getting my syren back next week. And here I am, already buying new things to put in it. They need rehab for this.

- Greg
Old 01-06-2003, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by scottswaaley
Or a volvo, that is a good first car...it's invincible.
no car is invincible...some are just better then others. a svx is a lot of power for a first car. just be careful. it is also expensive to maintain, i know this .....bearings to be done on Wed

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 01-06-2003, 02:17 PM
$VX

Tell you what man, here's what you need to do: Purchase the biggest baddest 1970s huge ass boat you can find for under 600 dollars. V8, auto, luxo features, and rwd. Then beat the living crap out of it, run into things, etc etc etc. Once you get all that outta your system, sell it, and THEN get an SVX, and baby the hell out of it.

- Ca$h