IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 01-03-2014, 07:17 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Re: Advice Needed - Living in America

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 SVX View Post
I would stay far away from southern, or any part of California. The Taxes will be extreme, the state is doing everything it can to pull in money.
I have not had a chance to talk to my neighbor yet, but I do recall him saying he pays about 1500 per year in property tax he has several acre's though.
That's a friggin bargain! I pay 6k a year in property tax!!!!

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 01-03-2014, 07:22 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
I totally agree with Marisa. The area around Austin, Salado and College Station is absolutely exquisite; I would move there in a minute! I visited my sister, who has a very large cattle ranch in Salado, back in May. My niece was graduating from Texas A&M, so I got the tour of the entire area. Low crime, affordable living and the friendliest people I have ever met. Lots of culture and a great educational system. Plus people there really know how to drive. A large and diverse population, yet it doesn't feel crowded.

I guarantee you will be greeted with genuine warmth and respect. As my sister says, "everyone who lives here is a Texan, some just don't know it yet"

How did she like Texas A&M? That is yet another school on my son's list. Nate is trying to convince me it isn't that cold in Madison WI. This kid's choices are literally all over the map.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
Old 01-03-2014, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Did I mention that Texas has NO state income tax?

Only one of seven states. The others are:
Alaska
Florida
Nevada
South Dakota
Washington
Wyoming

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 01-03-2014 at 11:05 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:37 AM

Registered SVX

Now if we could combine that with NO SALES TAX that would be great. lol
Old 01-04-2014, 01:48 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Danny,
I would look at the crime rates in FL
before you make a decision.
It only takes one bad encounter to change your outlook look on life.
FL however does allow concealed carry!
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 01-04-2014, 07:58 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

You might want to check this site out:

http://outflux.net/weather/noaa/

Texas has a pretty wide range of climates. The climate varies rapidly as you go from Houston to College Station to Austin and they aren't very far apart. Still, even Austin gets really hot and humid in late summer. And forget Florida if you want to avoid humidity and extreme weather.

None of these places compares to central to southern CA for weather. It is actually quite shocking when seen on a graph.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:01 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:

Alaska
Florida
Nevada
South Dakota
Washington
Wyoming

You forgot Tennessee.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:17 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Everyone pays eventually. If you have no income tax you will pay some other way. The question is, how. Maybe it is property tax. If not, maybe your schools suck and you need to send your kids to private schools, if you care about that. At every stage of our lives we want to live in a different state with a different tax structure. For example, if you have school age children, you want to pay property taxes as that is what makes the schools good but you want low sales tax and maybe even low income tax. If you are retired, you want to live in a state with low property tax and high income tax and sales tax.

If he has kids he needs to look at the quality of the schools and not worry so much about property tax. As he has said, taxes on small businesses is what he really needs to be low.

I have been gathering college data for my son and I ran the climate search on cities closest to the schools he is looking at. Here they are:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Merged Climate.pdf (69.1 KB, 336 views)

Old 01-04-2014, 01:17 PM

Registered SVX

Tony one thing about Southern California is the cost of living. Everything is very expensive from Gas to Groceries from what I can tell. Rent/housing price will be very premium priced, And also from what I have read many business's are debating leaving the state because of the cost of doing business, in fact I read that compliance with the laws, for example handicapped accessible were getting so expensive it was less expensive to close up shop and move.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:15 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Wink Re: Advice Needed - Living in America

Quote:
Tony one thing about Southern California is the cost of living. Everything is very expensive from Gas to Groceries from what I can tell. Rent/housing price will be very premium priced, And also from what I have read many business's are debating leaving the state because of the cost of doing business, in fact I read that compliance with the laws, for example handicapped accessible were getting so expensive it was less expensive to close up shop and move.

Just wait 'til Cali decides they need transgendered handicapped poopers, & floor level urinals for dwarfs. Sorry - I mean height challenged individuals.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:40 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

There is a reason it is expensive. The weather is insanely nice. It is our mediterranean.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:14 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Quote:
I would stay far away from southern, or any part of California. The Taxes will be extreme, the state is doing everything it can to pull in money.
I have not had a chance to talk to my neighbor yet, but I do recall him saying he pays about 1500 per year in property tax he has several acre's though.
California is nice, but living in an area known for earthquakes (and could vanish on the face of the map anytime) is not what I am really looking for. I love watching science stuff on Discovery, National Geographic and so... Japan and California are "Naturally Threatened" places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
What about Canada? Eh?

If you don't mind 4-5 months of snow it's amazing here.

Also almost no guns like our crazy southern neighbors.

No poisonous snakes like Down Under.

In the Ottawa area where we are from there is a huge Lebanese population. My wife has worked for 4 or 5 Lebanese families at their restaurants and the owners of the grocery store where she works now are Lebanese also. She even speaks quite a bit of Arabic from all the exposure.
Do you have any family in Canada?
LOL... yeah I know that Lebanese are abundant in Canada, and the latter facilitates things for immigrants to its territory.
We do have relatives and friends there. But living in cold and snow is not what we are looking for.
It would have been the perfect place and I wouldn't have started this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryIII View Post
Northern Delaware is a nice quiet place to live.
Will look it up, thanks

Quote:

Alaska
Florida
Nevada
South Dakota
Washington
Wyoming

Thanks for the info, will consider them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
Danny,
I would look at the crime rates in FL
before you make a decision.
It only takes one bad encounter to change your outlook look on life.
FL however does allow concealed carry!
Yeah that was one of my concerns in the first place, mentioned it twice before. The major reason I am looking to leave is for safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
You might want to check this site out:

http://outflux.net/weather/noaa/

Texas has a pretty wide range of climates. The climate varies rapidly as you go from Houston to College Station to Austin and they aren't very far apart. Still, even Austin gets really hot and humid in late summer. And forget Florida if you want to avoid humidity and extreme weather.

None of these places compares to central to southern CA for weather. It is actually quite shocking when seen on a graph.
Great link, thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
Everyone pays eventually. If you have no income tax you will pay some other way. The question is, how. Maybe it is property tax. If not, maybe your schools suck and you need to send your kids to private schools, if you care about that. At every stage of our lives we want to live in a different state with a different tax structure. For example, if you have school age children, you want to pay property taxes as that is what makes the schools good but you want low sales tax and maybe even low income tax. If you are retired, you want to live in a state with low property tax and high income tax and sales tax.

If he has kids he needs to look at the quality of the schools and not worry so much about property tax. As he has said, taxes on small businesses is what he really needs to be low.

I have been gathering college data for my son and I ran the climate search on cities closest to the schools he is looking at. Here they are:
Well... a sacrifice has to be made somewhere, I have no doubt. Settling in first is what really matters. We can do adjustments later.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.

Last edited by SilverSpear; 01-05-2014 at 12:26 AM.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:32 AM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

This has been running through my head ever since I first saw the thread posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHqUipinDyw
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 01-06-2014, 05:49 AM

Registered SVX

[QUOTE=SilverSpear;730918]

LOL... yeah I know that Lebanese are abundant in Canada, and the latter facilitates things for immigrants to its territory.
We do have relatives and friends there. But living in cold and snow is not what we are looking for.
It would have been the perfect place and I wouldn't have started this thread

Winters are much milder in this part of the country (Canada), and far enough from the coast so as to not be naturally threatened, if that is all that worry's you. Taxes are quite high as we usually say BC stands for Bring Cash but worth looking at. I even saw a SVX last time I was in Kelowna.

http://www.okanagan.com/
1992 Teal SVX parts car
Old 01-06-2014, 11:23 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Have you looked into the pacific northwest? It gets warm during the summers but not too extreme. We dont have much in the way of snow in the valleys and the humidity is nice and low (coming from NC ). The people tend to be friendly and the costs aren't terrible. Oregon has no sales tax and Washington has no income tax. If you dont mind some rain (light for the most part) its a great place. There is the coast that is close and mountains if you desire close as well. If you want more specific information and have questions feel free to message me. Might add that the drive from where I am to the coast is about an hr and to the mountains is about an hour and a half. It is nice and green year around.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles

Last edited by Wikedjuggalo; 01-06-2014 at 11:25 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: