Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects

Old 05-07-2013, 02:56 PM

Re: Turbo SVX

Those are WRX/STi coil packs. Mounted to a custom bracket with spark plug wires to the plugs. It's easy to wire them into the car, just have to find somewhere to mount them and a spark plug wire set for them because they DO NOT fit on the head over the spark plugs where the OEM are. The mounting holes on the head are in different locations for the coil pack bolt (ask me how I know).
Old 05-07-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackWoodsBob View Post
Cam profiles... I want them!

Also, how do those 272 cams perform while NA, before boost.
The engine is currently stock. I'm hoping to take it to the drags and get a time before I swap the good 272 cam'd engine in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'E' View Post
Bazza I think you might need a set of my 6 pot brembos
I tend to agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireiron View Post
Those are WRX/STi coil packs. Mounted to a custom bracket with spark plug wires to the plugs. It's easy to wire them into the car, just have to find somewhere to mount them and a spark plug wire set for them because they DO NOT fit on the head over the spark plugs where the OEM are. The mounting holes on the head are in different locations for the coil pack bolt (ask me how I know).
That's correct. However I think they can be fitted to the head - guys with the RS Liberty (same era as SVX) often drill a hole in the other side of those coils and make them work somehow. Something I found with the stock coils is they won't go above 2-3 psi and when we tested the spark gap they'd jump it was only about 3-4 mm. The GDB STI coils jumped 25 mm and then we gave up testing... they work

A few issues I've stumbled across. The stock ecu runs the air con and I like the air con so I'm hesitant to remove it. I was going to create an adapter loom so I could connect my LinkPlus G3 ecu (the Link is currently running my turbo EG33 in racecar) but this air con issue stops me.

I am thinking that I may just have to splice into the loom and control simply fuel and ignition as the stock ecu does a good job with idle and air con and thermo fans at present - although ideas are good - anyone got any? For interest sake, my car is idling rather well thus far... no niggles as of yet.

Also one other thing, I cooked my speedo sensor as I got the wiring wrong. Here is the correct wiring. This is 02 STI but same for 02-06 STI 3 pin plugs.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:02 PM

Would you recommend that standalone for a tuning newb?
Old 05-07-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Would you recommend that standalone for a tuning newb?
Yes, I have the LinkPlus G3 - the new G4 is available. Very easy to use and I can setup a base map for anyone to get going.

I'll also document what needs to be done to get it into the car nice and easily in this thread. The goal is minimal wire cutting / splicing, ease of installation and we must ensure all the original functions still work.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
Yes, I have the LinkPlus G3 - the new G4 is available. Very easy to use and I can setup a base map for anyone to get going.

I'll also document what needs to be done to get it into the car nice and easily in this thread. The goal is minimal wire cutting / splicing, ease of installation and we must ensure all the original functions still work.
I would seriously love you for all eternity. I've been re-considering goign with LANs chip, for the 555 sti side feed injectors. But want to be able to tweak things, or even the AEM FIC8, but Im unsure it will work due to our multiple crank sensors.

Please make a how-to, or short explination so that others can follow in your footsteps to a 350+whp EG33 powered monster.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:26 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
The engine is currently stock. I'm hoping to take it to the drags and get a time before I swap the good 272 cam'd engine in.

I tend to agree

That's correct. However I think they can be fitted to the head - guys with the RS Liberty (same era as SVX) often drill a hole in the other side of those coils and make them work somehow. Something I found with the stock coils is they won't go above 2-3 psi and when we tested the spark gap they'd jump it was only about 3-4 mm. The GDB STI coils jumped 25 mm and then we gave up testing... they work

A few issues I've stumbled across. The stock ecu runs the air con and I like the air con so I'm hesitant to remove it. I was going to create an adapter loom so I could connect my LinkPlus G3 ecu (the Link is currently running my turbo EG33 in racecar) but this air con issue stops me.

I am thinking that I may just have to splice into the loom and control simply fuel and ignition as the stock ecu does a good job with idle and air con and thermo fans at present - although ideas are good - anyone got any? For interest sake, my car is idling rather well thus far... no niggles as of yet.

Also one other thing, I cooked my speedo sensor as I got the wiring wrong. Here is the correct wiring. This is 02 STI but same for 02-06 STI 3 pin plugs.

My stock coils are good at 11psi!?!
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 05-08-2013, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post

My stock coils are good at 11psi!?!
Prolly more back pressure due to driving the turbine - not sure. We weren't interested in making something unknown work after they failed so early on - dyno time isn't cheap so we stuck with what we knew would run a lot of power with no issues. Made 580 bhp that day - dead stock engine lol, so it worked.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:22 AM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
Prolly more back pressure due to driving the turbine - not sure. We weren't interested in making something unknown work after they failed so early on - dyno time isn't cheap so we stuck with what we knew would run a lot of power with no issues. Made 580 bhp that day - dead stock engine lol, so it worked.
Could be.
I'm running a way too big true dual (at 2.5" each) untill a single 3" after the rear end.

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 05-08-2013, 09:03 AM

What the hell. How do electrical ignition parts have a pressure value...am I missing something here lol
Old 05-08-2013, 10:43 AM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
What the hell. How do electrical ignition parts have a pressure value...am I missing something here lol
The higher the combustion pressure the harder it is for the arc to jump the gap.

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 05-08-2013, 05:51 PM

I've never heard of air pressure affecting electrical ark before... Interesting.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:11 PM

I can't tell from this pic obviously due to the angle, but what did you use for spark plug wires from the STi coil packs to the plugs? I don't know of any wires off hand that would connect to the coil pack, and seeing as I have 8 of these coil packs floating around and 6 brand new connectors, I am interested in the last few details needed to make this work.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:14 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
I've never heard of air pressure affecting electrical ark before... Interesting.
The higher the compression, and the leaner the mixture, the higher the resistance, for the spark to overcome.
It is the lean mixtures that we have today with Emissions, that demand the wide plug gap, and the much higher voltages that we have to use now. If we use normal mixtures, we can use normal small gaps, and normal voltages.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
Could be.
I'm running a way too big true dual (at 2.5" each) untill a single 3" after the rear end.
Could also be due to running E85, adds 30% more fuel and burns faster than octane and is harder to light (burn rate as proven by about 50 SAE studies, EPA etc) - you do certainly find more misses with E85 than normal fuel.

We also find that the richer you go the more likely you are to have a miss due to spark and we run mine rather rich as it's stock pistons. The leaner you go the engine just stumbles as there isn't enough fuel to turn it over etc.

With the coils - I simply removed the original rubber boot, inserted the original spring (which falls out when you removed the rubber boot), add any $5 lead from auto shop and cable tie the lead on with spring connecting the lead to the screw in top of coil. I haven't really liked this method and always wanted to improve it but it never let me down so I've never got around to making it better.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:02 AM

Thanks for the explanation guys!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: