IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2011, 04:42 PM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Video of the BRZ GT300

I may be naive here but, I hope their marketing plan is to offer a basic platform with oodles of after market possibilities to build it up. My opinion is, it looks great, better than the Toyota kid racer.
Great promo video BTW.
Gene

Trying to not getting flamed.
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)

Last edited by bwb3; 12-03-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:51 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwb3 View Post
I may be naive here but, I hope their marketing plan is to offer a basic platform with oodles of after market possibilities to build it up.
the only problem is, what aftermarket possibilities can they offer? exhaust and air intake, to increase the hp in the single digits? or a TRD supercharger that will cost more than what its worth? if the engine isn't designed for forced induction, the boost will have to be pretty low anyway to keep it from blowing up. hell, recent Subaru turbo engines have been blowing up, and they were designed to be turbo'd. i'm such a hater.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 12-03-2011, 06:42 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
the only problem is, what aftermarket possibilities can they offer? exhaust and air intake, to increase the hp in the single digits? or a TRD supercharger that will cost more than what its worth? if the engine isn't designed for forced induction, the boost will have to be pretty low anyway to keep it from blowing up. hell, recent Subaru turbo engines have been blowing up, and they were designed to be turbo'd. i'm such a hater.
You know there will be tons of parts available from STi... just like they offer and have offered for the Impreza. There will be a whole catalog of parts for enthusiasts and professionals to build cars. Sort of like Group N Impreza's and parts that STi has supported for years.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:19 PM
Hater

Yeah, aside from license plate frames and STI battery tie downs, what will increase performance on this thing? Like i said before, you'd be lucky to get 10-15hp with exhaust and intake.

So you'll spend $600-1000 on these items for a more rumbly sound and barely any gain, or you could spend $600 for an Accessport on a turbo engine for a really dramatic increase.

I doubt they will offer a stroker kit.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:55 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Yeah, aside from license plate frames and STI battery tie downs, what will increase performance on this thing? Like i said before, you'd be lucky to get 10-15hp with exhaust and intake.

So you'll spend $600-1000 on these items for a more rumbly sound and barely any gain, or you could spend $600 for an Accessport on a turbo engine for a really dramatic increase.

I doubt they will offer a stroker kit.
Have you ever seen the full STi catalog? They do have full rebuild kits, pistons, turbos, suspension, clutches, dog leg transmissions, drive shafts, brake kits, bushings.... all sorts of fun stuff for competition all the way down to light dress up...

http://www.sti.jp/e/competitor/index.html

Last edited by dbarnblatt; 12-03-2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:05 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

I don't need a race car. I like the BRZ, I am disappointment that it is not AWD, but it is a car I will consider when I need to replace my DD in a few years.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007

Last edited by Sean486; 12-03-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:25 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnblatt View Post
Have you ever seen the full STi catalog? They do have full rebuild kits, pistons, turbos, suspension, clutches, dog leg transmissions, drive shafts, brake kits, bushings.... all sorts of fun stuff for competition all the way down to light dress up...

http://www.sti.jp/e/competitor/index.html
JDM parts? You could buy a new Porsche for what you'll pay for that stuff.
Mostly for car forum pissing contests, i've seen people do that on the Legacy GT forums. Some of these goons spend more on accessories than what their car cost new.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:03 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
JDM parts? You could buy a new Porsche for what you'll pay for that stuff.
Mostly for car forum pissing contests, i've seen people do that on the Legacy GT forums. Some of these goons spend more on accessories than what their car cost new.
I was just saying that they do a lot more than license plate frames and other stuff like that. The STi parts listed are not for show, they are really for competition... as they support a huge Group N racing competition field with many teams.

The dudes in the forum pissing matches do buy the flashy stuff, sure... but STi really only makes high end stuff and top quality and you pay for it.

For the BRZ, STi will have a catalog of competition parts for Super GT and a whole smaller catalog for the forum dudes to dress up their cars!
Old 12-03-2011, 09:32 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnblatt View Post
I was just saying that they do a lot more than license plate frames and other stuff like that. The STi parts listed are not for show, they are really for competition... as they support a huge Group N racing competition field with many teams.

The dudes in the forum pissing matches do buy the flashy stuff, sure... but STi really only makes high end stuff and top quality and you pay for it.

For the BRZ, STi will have a catalog of competition parts for Super GT and a whole smaller catalog for the forum dudes to dress up their cars!
I wasnt even talking dressup parts, i meant performance stuff like big brake kits, bigger turbos and intercoolers, transmissions, light weight wheels, etc. Ive seen knuckleheads easily spend $20-30k just in parts for their LGTs. Good luck selling it, as something that heavily modified probably kills resale.

The EVO forums are even worse, because its much easier to get them to stupid levels of power, and the aftermarket is even bigger. Maybe im old, but i dont need 600awhp on my daily driver.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:47 PM
work in progress

Send a message via AIM to LastSVXintheChi
Registered SVX

Quote:
they are fun! unfortunately, the SVX and other Subarus i've owned have spoiled me in the winter months. you CAN drive RWD cars in the snow with some good snow tires, but it gets sketchy sometimes. once you go AWD ......
Yeah I think I have gotten spoiled by the AWD too cus I love my car when the snow is out...my gf doesnt even want to driver her car anymore in winter cus its not AWD

1992 dark teal SVX LS
Old 12-03-2011, 10:46 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastSVXintheChi View Post
Yeah I think I have gotten spoiled by the AWD too cus I love my car when the snow is out...my gf doesnt even want to driver her car anymore in winter cus its not AWD
Even more spoiled with AWD and snow tires. Lot of hills around here, and i get out of work late, so the roads can be a mess.

RWD in snow = nervous and cautious.
AWD in snow = fun time! (im still careful, though)

Old 12-03-2011, 10:57 PM

Registered SVX

I still love RWD in the snow. AWD there's too much control and not enough unknown.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:38 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
I still love RWD in the snow. AWD there's too much control and not enough unknown.

I almost went off the side of an embankment in the 928 in the snow. Freak snowstorm in April. Driving along slowly, then whole car SPINNING........i was on the way to buy my SVX!

Old 12-03-2011, 11:44 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
i'm staying, and as my opinions about certain newer Subarus in the Off-Topic portion of this site make you so butt-hurt, why don't you make like a tree and get the **** out of here?
Aren't we lucky! Tell me oh sage of the car world, what "newer Subaru" do you approve of if your incessant whining pertains to only "certain" newer Subarus? Wait...let me guess...the Forester XT...right? The only Subaru you drive is the one that is wildly popular with....nevermind.

What is funny, and sad, is that you are totally blind to your "issues". Anyone that buys a "newer" Subaru is a dope who bought an underpowered car, unlike your Evo, and every Evo or Subaru owner that modifies their car for more power is a dope because they spent money for too much power. You car is perfect...you made the perfect decision and bought the perfect car. Still don't see it? Yeah, I didn't think you would.

Let me try to put it another way. Anyone that makes a different decision than you do must be an idiot or jerk and you actually take it as a personal challenge that they would do something differently. This drives you to constantly feel compelled to argue with them about their choices. In case you have never taken a psychology class, this is known as having an inferiority complex and is due to a deeply rooted insecurity. Why not just enjoy your car instead of doing what you constantly do around here? Still can't answer that question, can you?

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 12-04-2011, 12:15 AM

Registered SVX

FYI, I wouldn't buy any subaru newer than 96 other than a 97 SVX and an 02/03 WRX. I think that head gaskets should last longer than 100k miles, and prefer not to have noisy timing chains. We'll see how reliable the newer engines are, but if there is one thing Subaru has proven, is that they are expecting people to buy their cars based off the reliability they built up through most of the 90's. It certainly can't be their styling selling the cars as it looks like everything else. (The BRZ is an exception)

I have also steered quite a few people away from buying newer subaru's when looking for a used car because of their lack of reliability.