Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under

Old 08-24-2011, 05:37 PM

Re: Upgraded Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
Haven't read throught the whole thread so its been mentioned sorry.
The most import thing you can do to up grade your brakes is to remove the dust shield form the front brakes.
One of the biggest problems our brakes have is heat build up and that is because of poor airflow. Removing the dust shield helps with that problem. I also run slotted & drill rotors. Before every one jumps in I drive on dirt mud sand and every thing you can think of and I have never got rocks in the pads.

Thats my 2 bobs worth.
Tony
Thanks for your comments on the removal of the brake shield for improved cooling.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:23 AM

Registered SVX

Out of interest what does the dust sheild look like?
I havnt see rims off a SVX for such a long time.
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration
Old 08-25-2011, 09:46 PM

Smile Re: Upgraded Brakes

Well, after much web research & feedback from forum members, my brake upgrade replacement project comprises:

- Rotors from dba in OZ (solid rears with after market slotting, vented & slotted fronts)
- Bendix pads (General CT)
- SS braided lines from Dayle at Motor Sports Warehouse (7-day delivery from the USA!)
- DOT 4 brake fluid
- Removal of dust shield from front rotors

All the above work is being done at the Continental Cars Services - Ferrari/Maserati workshop in Newmarket (I have a friend who works there) next Wednesday morning after which I will bring you an update on how it all panned out.

Thanks again for your feedback. Best to learn from others & do it right first time.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:58 AM

When you look behind the wheel the dust sheild is the plate on the inside. The problem is that they cause the disc to worp due to airflow on the wheel side and no air flow on the inside.
You will be happy with the changes.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKiwiSVX View Post
Well, after much web research & feedback from forum members, my brake upgrade replacement project comprises:

- Rotors from dba in OZ (solid rears with after market slotting, vented & slotted fronts)
- Bendix pads (General CT)
- SS braided lines from Dayle at Motor Sports Warehouse (7-day delivery from the USA!)
- DOT 4 brake fluid
- Removal of dust shield from front rotors

All the above work is being done at the Continental Cars Services - Ferrari/Maserati workshop in Newmarket (I have a friend who works there) next Wednesday morning after which I will bring you an update on how it all panned out.

Thanks again for your feedback. Best to learn from others & do it right first time.
Well, the brake upgrade was completed last Wednesday & after 700km I can report that all is as expected.

The initial firmer bite & pedal feel is soooo much better. Hard braking from open road speeds is fantastic & confidence inspiring. The previous soft pedal feel is gone & there is so much less pedal pressure required to achieve the same/improved braking performance. Even without any scientific data, I will be so bold as to suggest that the overall braking distance has been reduced.

In summary, the total cost of parts & labour was NZ$1,617, which I consider to be very good value for the benefits achieved, esp. when safe & assured braking is so very important.

Thanks to all those who contributed their feedback.

Next up is the QSK followed by some suspension improvements (tbd via another thread).

Last edited by RedKiwiSVX; 09-04-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:14 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKiwiSVX View Post
The initial firmer bite & pedal feel is soooo much better.
That is the SS lines. Feel a lot better, right?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 09-04-2011, 05:29 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Wrong post.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
That is the SS lines. Feel a lot better, right?
They do feel much better. I would say the SS lines contributed to the better brake feel, whilst the 'bite' & seemingly better braking performance is a direct result of the new pads & new rotors.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: