Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2011, 05:15 AM

Talking Going turbo at last!

My SVX's issues are finally all sorted, and she's been going good.

Anyway, I crave more power. And thus, I'm going to attempt to go turbo, with help from a friend of mine who owns a pretty good turbo SVX setup. I've got a general idea of what I need, its just waiting, and working hard for the money to afford the bits!

I just wanted to share my project with my fellow SVX'ers and get feedback and tips with this build I'm attempting.

You can follow the project on my project blog:
Project Turbo SVX

Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice and support!
Old 06-14-2011, 09:16 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Going turbo at last!

Your blog says you have a '97? You will have a hell of a time getting LAN's stage 2 stuff to work with the OBD2 ECU.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 06-14-2011, 10:11 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

The 2v7 is surely out, but it'll be interesting to see if the AFC will be able to maneuver the MAF and injectors as needed.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:13 AM

Cool and keep us in the loop with updates. Looking to do this to my swapped car next year.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:58 PM

I'm going to try to do everything whilst taking as many notes as possible, so that I could possibly offer this as a custom kit.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:31 PM

Since I'm trying to develop a kit for this, I've added a donation button as well, which will go towards producing a working, easy to install kit, among other mods for the SVX.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Your blog says you have a '97? You will have a hell of a time getting LAN's stage 2 stuff to work with the OBD2 ECU.
Not going to be using the Stage 2 bits, I'm going to rely strictly on the AFCneo to modify the air signal from the MAF to run the bigger injectors, and I'll be running a "blow-thru" type setup. In theory it should work without issue, if not, I'll have to go Hydra.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:14 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead843 View Post
Not going to be using the Stage 2 bits, I'm going to rely strictly on the AFCneo to modify the air signal from the MAF to run the bigger injectors, and I'll be running a "blow-thru" type setup. In theory it should work without issue, if not, I'll have to go Hydra.
Sorry chap, this wont cut it. Start thinking about the hydra.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phast SVX View Post
I've done some reading, and have a friend with an SVX with this setup, it works alright, I'll probably go with the hydra by tax time next year. I'm thinking about selling the AFC and going with an AEM FI/C, which has support for ignition as well as fuel, and should be able to work with the SVX, though it hasn't been done before. I'm all for pioneering.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:50 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phast SVX View Post
I'd listen to this guy.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:40 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

psst... don't waist your time fussing with the other stuff... just get a hydra... you can even get a stage II and upgrade in the future when you get more cash. Check out the thread on the new system...deffinitely worth all it's pennies I've tuned on AEM series I and II, Motec, Cobb, Hondata, Link, etc. etc. the list goes on. By far the best program I've seen is the Hydra.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:50 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead843 View Post
I've done some reading, and have a friend with an SVX with this setup, it works alright, I'll probably go with the hydra by tax time next year. I'm thinking about selling the AFC and going with an AEM FI/C, which has support for ignition as well as fuel, and should be able to work with the SVX, though it hasn't been done before. I'm all for pioneering.
On another note, the afc is nowhere near as effective as running an actual map sensor like the hydra has, you are still taking one source of information and guestimating the rest of the values. With the hydra you are pulling a lot more information for a higher resolution tune. Also an AEM FI/C is for a very basic setup, typically four banger hondas etc. It does not have the capacity to actually manage the EG33 correctly, especially under boost. Likelyhood of your values being off and you blowing up a few eg33's before getting it close to right and spending way more in engines and dyno time than you would if you just did it right the first time and went with a full stand alone. Just my .02
Old 07-04-2011, 10:27 PM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx

Any more info on your buddy's setup? If his works ok/great, no sense in re-inventing the wheel. What kind of setup does he have and how is it working for him? Any reason not to sell his setup as a kit if it works well? Thanks for any input.
1996 3.3ltr SVX (AWD/Auto) 15.070@91.38mph
***R.I.P***
2010 RAV4 AWD Sport (13.717 @ 99.19mph )
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT (15.2 @ 90mph)
Old 08-17-2011, 06:44 PM

Just a random update, I've stopped the turbo project until my Legacy 5-Speed swap is complete. However, I am planning on running MegaSquirt for a complete engine management system.