Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2011, 06:42 AM

NZ/Aus New vs an import

This is my first post!I intend buying a SVX within 6 months. I wish to obtain info on the differences between the NZ new models and those imported second hand from Japan. I have noticed the speedos are a lot different and wonder if there is a different chip in the engine management system. Some interiors seem to not be leather on the imports too. Am I right in thinking the transmissions that are in the NZ new cars are not the really troublesome ones that are in the North American cars? Any help/advice/info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:18 PM

Re: NZ/Aus New vs an import

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBIE3 View Post
This is my first post!I intend buying a SVX within 6 months. I wish to obtain info on the differences between the NZ new models and those imported second hand from Japan. I have noticed the speedos are a lot different and wonder if there is a different chip in the engine management system. Some interiors seem to not be leather on the imports too. Am I right in thinking the transmissions that are in the NZ new cars are not the really troublesome ones that are in the North American cars? Any help/advice/info would be greatly appreciated.
the aus spec /nz spec cars are all top option cars, with sunroof, leather andf cruise control, some others from japan have cloth trim, no sunroof and no cruise or a combo of some options.
the jap ecu's have a better tune and i use one in my aus spec car.

all the auto's are prone to failure without the proper maintenence and sympathetic driving they deserve.
also the jdm models are branded alcyone svx, not subaru svx on the boot pannel, and have a different bonnet badge and engine cover.

also there were different options with wheels and lack of boot spoiler or a high boot spoiler.
the jdm dash clusters are 180 km/h and the aus /nz clusters are 260 km/h

thanks, Ben.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:50 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
The transmissions are different to the US version. NZ/AUST/JDM all use the VTD type, that can't lose the rear wheel drive, like the US cars do, that allows the front diff to self destruct.

The early models still have the same troubles, of high clutch and band failure. Get a 95 model.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:02 PM

Front & rear lights are also different......reverse position Vs reflector on the rear are swapped (USA model & some EU models have no reflectors, but extra red lights). In USA they also have rear side marker lights, where as in NZ we only got relectors. Front markers are different from "clear" markers.

I have swapped all lights over to USA - except for front head lights (prefer the clarity of the OEM glass ones, even if they do not have the fog lamps fitted).
Old 05-30-2011, 12:52 AM

Question Re: NZ/Aus New vs an import

Thanks for the responses. A more detailed query, if you do not mind: The Japanese import models seem to all have a speedo with 180kph as a maximum on them. But the cars are able to achieve 220kph plus. Is the Japanese one "governed" to not go beyond 180kph, or does the speedo stick at 180 and the car go faster? And Surtees, I note you have a '95 model. Do you agree with the earlier comments in this thread saying, "buy a '95 model" and are you aware of any NZ owners who have converted the transmissions to 5 speed manuals?
Old 05-30-2011, 12:41 PM

Late 1994 onwards had the advantage that the gearboxes had internal filter fitted (this can be done with pre-94 by dealer - in USA I think this was done free as a TSB). Once these get clogged then it does not take to long before things heat-up & start binding.

Trevor has fitted an oil pressure gauge to his gearbox (mounted the gauge on the steering wheel plastic housing) - that way he monitors the pressure & he states that you can see how the gearbox reacts under load - it also means that you can see if anything is starting to go wrong, there by saving you money before things get expensive.

I have seen 2 SVXs that are manual here in Auckland - sorry cannot remember if they are members here ???
(maybe Ewie or Hairy can help out here)

JDM models Vs NZ/Aus Vs USA models all have different modes through the drivelines (Economy / power switch etc from gearbox ECU).

JDM / NZ / AUS - all have full variable 4WD eg 90/10 to 10/90 splits.

USA has either 2WD (front) or 4WD with fixed 10/90 (10 at rear?).
There was a requirement in USA to cut out the 4WD for testing - hence the removal of the 4WD fuse for rolling road testing.

JDM is limited to 180kmh (by Japanese law), there is no easy way of getting around this except to ask the guys in the USA - in my opinion it is not worth worrying about.

JDM also had a limited 250 (can someone verify - I read that somewhere else) that were 4WS, using electronic blackbox behind rear diff. I know that 2 SVXs here in Auckland have this feature - one is a member here (sorry cannot remember his name).
This is a nice to have feature, but since I have seen how painful it is to have this fixed (when you hit a curb) - FHI had to fly a technician out to NZ to remove the black box & swap-out with the unit he brought from Japan. There was no English manual available for the 4WS when I was getting my car serviced at the time.

JDM also came with rear deck de-ioniser fan (I fitted one from a guy here in Auckland who had 3 SVXs stripped down to bare bodies).

European models get fog lights in the rear & adjustable headlights & washers up front.

The only body shape change was sunroof or no sunroof.

Although there were different lights most countries had plastic ones that went yellow but NZ had glass - although we did not get the front fog lamps.

Other variations were heated seats, heated side mirrors, electric fold-in side mirrors, CD stacker, Chrome grill (Hairy has the last 2).

I have had mine for 15 years & have not really had any major issues with it - mind you it has only just done 150,000kms - buying one with high milage may not be an issue, provided the previous owner has service receipts.

Possum Motorsport in Pukekohe have done 1 manual swap-over NZ$5k (including removal of the Japanese limiter - so it can be done)
- but for NZ$5k you can get yourself a nice version with all the bells & whistles - even if it is auto.

See this mornings trademe -

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Sear...ch_suggested=0

Let me know if there is anything else you require to know.
(if any of the details are wrong then can someone correct me on this - thanks).

Where in NZ are you based?

Yesterday I saw my first Blue SVX sitting at the lights outside my work as I pulled up alongside her, but she was stuck in a traffic jam & I had to go, will watch out for her again.

Last edited by SURTEESS; 05-30-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:42 PM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. A more detailed query, if you do not mind: The Japanese import models seem to all have a speedo with 180kph as a maximum on them. But the cars are able to achieve 220kph plus. Is the Japanese one "governed" to not go beyond 180kph, or does the speedo stick at 180 and the car go faster? And Surtees, I note you have a '95 model. Do you agree with the earlier comments in this thread saying, "buy a '95 model" and are you aware of any NZ owners who have converted the transmissions to 5 speed manuals?
All JDM cars are legally required to have a 180km/h governor. It can be overcome either by reprogramming the ECU, or converting the speed signal to mph (so the limiter is at 180mph). The JDM cars do have different programming in the engine management system.

Look here for JDM SVX specifications:
http://web.archive.org/web/200210150.../versions.html

My favourite is the 1992 "version L". It's the highest spec SVX, fully loaded and equipped with 4 Wheel Steer. Another good high-spec model is the 1996 "S4". The 93-95 models known as "S40, S40ii, S3" are cheaper, lower spec cars, not as nice IMHO.

The Euro/Aussie/NZ spec SVX is also quite a high-spec version as far as I know.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 05-31-2011, 04:47 PM

Registered SVX

Removing the speed limiter is not a problem, I have converted mine from KPH to MPH with no problems. (I think Phil above gave me the extra wiring guide for the gearbox ecu?)

The chip is available in the UK should you want to go down that route and I would be happy to give you contact details of a trusted supplier ( I have been importing cars from Japan to the UK since 99 so have to do it to every car)

I also agree with the version L being the best of all the production runs, maybe I'm a bit biased like Phil as we both have them

At the end of the day it's what your budget and taste allows but in reality there isn't a "bad" model to go for.

Goodluck and you won't regret becoming an owner.

11/94 SVX Alcyone, Mica Black, VL Spec 4WS, 71K Miles, 1 owner from new & was part of a private car collection in Japan.

Nissan R34 Skyline Stagea

91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo

1966 MGB Roadster, Tarten Red, Wire Wheels, Leather, 23K miles from new

You can tell the men from the boys from the speed of their toys.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:28 AM

Thanks again for all your posts guys. I appreciate you all taking the time to respond. I shall be keeping my eyes peeled to find a good 95 model with low kms over the next few months. I shall be a regular visitor to this site and will let you know when I get my hands on one. Surteess, I am in Raglan.