Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Body Modifications
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2011, 11:07 PM

Registered SVX
Custom Clear Headlights

Having gotten very tired of the dingy hard to see stock lights I was looking at a way to replace, or at least change that.

I decided to pull the headlights apart, heating like the tail lights. Then I sanded down all the ribs inside.

In case anyone is interested I started with 80 grit emery cloth, all I had available. Once all the ribbing was gone I sanded with 400 grit wet/dry moved on to 800 grit then finished off with 2000 grit. When all the sanding was done I polished with PlasticX.

I hand sanded all of it.

A sanding block would have been handy, I would guess one could be found small enough. In addition to the sanded fingers I got lots of scratches from where the lens attaches to the housing.
I think the sanding took about 16 hours, but with a block or even a small sander that would be cut drastically.
The first one I did I tried using a dremel with a sanding wheel, that unfortunately did not turn out so well the small wheel made pits which later sanding were not able to remove, I think if I sanded lots more material out it might work but I dont want to make the lens that thin. Anyone have a drivers side headlight? or even just the lens?

This is what I started with, I sanded the outside with 2000 grit and polished with the plasticx before this pic.

Here is the first one I did next to the undone passenger side one.

Tomorrow in the daylight I will take a few pics installed on the car.

Well I can't find the pics, the links are all broken, my server crashed and those pics might have been lost.

Last edited by 92 SVX; 12-16-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:15 AM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Custom Clear Headlights

Nice job! But you must be crazy to do all that work!
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 01-11-2011, 05:16 AM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

You are a madman, I love it!

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 01-11-2011, 05:52 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX

You do know that clear lenses can be bought for our cars?
Are you sure you weren't laying interloc brick in the rain? Those fingers look raw.

Last edited by Blacky; 01-11-2011 at 05:55 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:05 AM
check out www.planetsvx.com

thats alot of labor...
nice job

CLICK the LINK below to Visit the SVX Store:

http://www.planetsvx.com

http://www.motorsportwarehouse.com/svx/sig2.jpg

Cars in the garage:
92 Toyota Soarer Single Turbo JDM RHD
70 Boss 302 Mustang 39k original miles
97 SVX Lsi
92 Liquid Silver Murano-ized (1st of its kind)
71 Cougar Xr7 Conv 351c 4v 4spd
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
89 Conquest TSi w/ 5.0 v8 swap
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

"good, if it bleeds, we can kill it ....."
Old 01-11-2011, 01:41 PM

Registered SVX

I know you can get the small car lights though your paying a lot and still doing lots of work on them, this cost me maybe $10 total, though a new drivers lens might cost a bit more lol.

here are pics on the car, I have the grill out seeing what I can come up with for customizing it.

And thank you.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:34 PM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

Does the drivers side look better in person? I'm thinking you may want to pick up another and redo it.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 01-11-2011, 02:42 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
Does the drivers side look better in person? I'm thinking you may want to pick up another and redo it.
Yes it does look a little better in person, though I do want to get another and redo it. As I asked in the first post anyone have a drivers side headlight? or even just a lens?

Here is the grill, it isnt perfect I think I will be looking to pic up a 97 grill.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:59 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 SVX View Post
Here is the grill, it isnt perfect I think I will be looking to pic up a 97 grill.
+1. Why reinvent the wheel? The '97 grill looks great, especially on a white car.

Good job on the headlights. I'm going to get a set of the smallcar ones eventually because I just can't see myself spending that much time sanding and polishing. I'll have a couple spare lenses then lol.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 01-11-2011, 03:40 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
+1. Why reinvent the wheel? The '97 grill looks great, especially on a white car.

Good job on the headlights. I'm going to get a set of the smallcar ones eventually because I just can't see myself spending that much time sanding and polishing. I'll have a couple spare lenses then lol.
not likely, from the directions I was reading you cut out the front ribbed part of the stock lenses and silicon the clear in but the rest of the lens is reused.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:30 PM

Registered SVX

I like it, I want to do it too!
But I don't want my fingers to look like that.

Dremel = bad, ok. Thanks for finding that out for me, you saved me a lens.
I totally would have gone at it with the dremel if not for your experience.

This is something I can see myself doing while the SVX is parked for the winter.
Hell, I am temped to go outside in the dark and rip them out before this snow storm hits.
Be a cool free upgrade, I already got the 1000,1500,2000 grit paper and plastic polish for cleaning the outside of lenses.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:35 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookin4SVX View Post
I like it, I want to do it too!
But I don't want my fingers to look like that.

Dremel = bad, ok. Thanks for finding that out for me, you saved me a lens.
I totally would have gone at it with the dremel if not for your experience.

This is something I can see myself doing while the SVX is parked for the winter.
Hell, I am temped to go outside in the dark and rip them out before this snow storm hits.
Be a cool free upgrade, I already got the 1000,1500,2000 grit paper and plastic polish for cleaning the outside of lenses.
if you have a sander that is small enough you could do that, would save on fingers and time. I am unsure if they have one that would fit inside there but I would guess they must, if not find a small sanding block, has to be 3" or less side to side, sander or block and smaller one yet to get into the corners.
You will want to start with very coarse I did 80 grit might even want coarser to take the ribbing down faster. The inside of the lens is concave slightly.
The headlights come out of the car very quick and easy pull the grill and the side corners and 4 bolts per light. took 5 mins maybe to get both out.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:06 PM

Registered SVX

Oh one other thing to pull the lenses off I took the bulbs and wiring off the housing preheated the oven to 225 degrees and put the housing in for 7 mins. I used 2 small flat bladed screwdrivers and carefully worked all the way around the lens when you get a small gap the black gooey stuff still wont let go I put them back in the oven for 4 more min at that point you can grab the lens and pull it will come right off.
Let the lens cool down before you start working on it, the gooey stuff will stay on and harden up you can wash the lens without worrying about it.
When you go to put the lens back on put the housing by itself in the preheated 225 degree oven for 4 mins pull it out put the lens in place give it a small push and then put it all in the oven for 7 mins with the lens up, gravity and heat will pull the lens down into place when you pull it out check it and if needed push it down then reclip it and it will be good and sealed.
One thing always watch so your oven isnt too hot if you see anything starting to warp remove immediately.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:50 PM
Formerly known as broyles

I have had the clear lenses for fournyears, with hid low beams, and they are still clear with no yellowing. Much better than the polish, my problem with the original lenses included residue on the inside as well as yellowing and pitting.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:38 PM

Registered SVX

Another thing I been working on

Will get daytime pics installed soon.

As you can see one of the lenses is warped, lesson dont have it in the oven for over 7 mins. lol I am getting different one soon.