IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 05-31-2010, 09:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Deep Sea Oil Well Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhydroxide View Post
isn't clogged what they are going for? if the funnel got clogged, and it settled over the leak...........Is my deductive reasoning not sound here?......Would that not stop at least the main leak?
I believe the pressure of the oil being ejected would be too great for that to work. Eventually, wouldn't it just blow the big box thing off of the pipeline and start leaking into the gulf again?
2001 Audi S8
Old 06-01-2010, 09:31 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
So add giant-ass heaters to it. It doesn't matter that it will be expensive or difficult, we're beyond cost at this point. Add some serious electric heaters to the damn thing, run inch thick cables down with the crane cable, bring in a second ship if your first can't supply the generator power needed, and if they don't already have it get three shifts working around the clock...
I'm no engineer... but I'm sure they have considered all options for the container dome... including "giant-ass heaters." I would think that implementing a new idea takes weeks to prepare for.
The fact that they had no back-up technology/plan to start with if the blow-off preventer failed is the major problem here.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnblatt View Post
The fact that they had no back-up technology/plan to start with if the blow-off preventer failed is the major problem here.
I agree. Seems that all parties involved have been banking on the belief (delusion?) that this sort of thing would never happen. Now the perception is that they're standing around shrugging their shoulders and muttering, "I don't know... how about ping-pong balls?"

There's really not much they can do but watch.

dcb
Old 06-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
I believe they want to drill a relief well but the problem with that is the depth combined with the angle it would have to be drilled... they have to pierce the side of the original bore which is what, 7 inches in diameter? (dunno if that is right, I read it somewhere. seems small. probably actually was a 7 inch margin of error)

There are quite a few solutions to this problem but it's just a logistics nightmare because they all [the good ideas] take a relatively long time to engineer and transport...

Far as the official story on why it happened...

Quote:
In its report to Congress, BP said crews noticed unusual pressure and fluid readings that should have alerted them not to remove heavy drilling lubricants known as "mud" from the well — a move that apparently allowed a sudden upwelling of gas that led to the explosion and sinking of the rig about 50 miles from the Louisiana shoreline.

Read more: http://www.adn.com/2010/05/25/129401...#ixzz0pf3u6IKj
I'm not entirely sure more "backup technology" would have helped if they were disregarding the conditions leading to the failure of the blowout preventer not to mention behind on their maintenance...

Quote:
In Washington, a House subcommittee investigating the disaster raised the possibility that BP wrapped up work on the oil rig even though a seal at the top of the well had failed a pressure test a few hours before the explosion. Representatives also suggested that a hydraulic leak may have disabled the blowout preventer.

http://www.adn.com/2010/05/25/129401...rs-before.html

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.

Last edited by NikFu S.; 06-01-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:58 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

They've been working on the relief well since shortly (relatively speaking) after the explosion and everything. It just takes months to get it done but it is being worked on. I believe the date for that is the beginning-middle of August for it to be complete. At this time they are conceding that nothing else is going to work to plug the well and so they are now trying to use another type of funnel to "catch" the oil coming out... Again, something that already failed once

Keep in mind, something similar happened back in the 70's. Except it was in just 200 foot deep water. They tried the same things they tried this time and ultimately, it was a relief well that fixed everything. That relief well was finally finished 9 months after that rig exploded.
Basically a lot of people dropped the ball on all of this. BP asked for a delay in the testing of the valve that failed and it was granted. Meanwhile, instead of getting it looked at and fixed, they continued normal operation. That was about 10 months ago that the delay was granted.

Bottom line is that it is a huge mess, cleanup plans should have been in place beforehand, but it does not mean that offshore drilling is absolutely horrible and must stop but that proper checks should actually be in place.

Edit: Info on the Ixtoc 1 exploratory well on wiki here

Last edited by 1986nate; 06-01-2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:59 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX

Lemme git this straight.
BP is taking responsibility for this because they're the big money men. Although they're quick to point out that it's really Transocean's boat and crew. But in reality:
Quote:
Transocean chief executive Steven Newman described the cause as "a sudden, catastrophic failure of the cement, the casing or both."
Both of which were done by Halliburton. Why do these guys keep coming up every time something gets FUBAR?

OT:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakeview_Gusher 2nd largest spill ever.
Wow, I've never heard of this. That's where I used to rally my XT back in college.
'92 LS-L "Bandit" #362 formerly dark teal, repainted by prev owner
Mods: ECUTune 2v7f, Earthworm bushings, Pioneer DVD/Bluetooth phone, Infinity Reference all around, tint, 17" wheels, custom seat belt computer, velcro visor

Buying parts is like car payments. Someday she'll be all mine.

Last edited by K_Dub; 06-01-2010 at 11:26 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:23 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX

BP is having 2 relief wells drilled. The earliest date for those wells to connect with the original well is late August. With the luck that BP is having lately (Murphy Laws), I think they will be lucky to make the connection in Nov. A similar accident in Mexico took 10 months for the relief well to make connection.

Larry
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: