How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-17-2010, 05:12 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Help!! I'm going to get hit by a semi truck!! Random stalling, stumbling idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by macadamianut View Post
Thanks Tom,

Will be soaking the bolt in PB blaster all week in hopes of getting it loose. What is the accepted method of holding the pulley while wrenching? I tried a socket extension and a screwdriver through one of the holes to hold but am scared to bend/break the aluminum Perrin pulley. Both cam sprockets are indexed correctly, so if the crank is off by one or more teeth can this cause all of these problems???

Thanks.
By cam timing I mean that the cam is shifted yet the pulley is in line...

Best thing to do is take a larger sized flat blade driver, between the manifold and oil pan to wedge into the teeth of the starter ring gear to jam the crank to break the crank pulley loose

Tom
Old 05-19-2010, 03:54 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Help!! I'm going to get hit by a semi truck!! Random stalling, stumbling idle

Will try to get in to timing again this weekend. I pulled plugs again to read them. The picture of the single plug is from the #1 cylinder. Note the ground electrode, looks as if it has been painted white.

I thought they looked like they were overheating a bit, but I am not good at reading plugs.

Curious if they are fine, or are indicating my problem, possibly timing too advanced.

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0870 copy.jpg (56.4 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0863 copy.jpg (110.9 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0866 copy.jpg (136.6 KB, 177 views)

1995 SVX-L AWD, green, 98,xxx miles, ECUtune 1.5, mazda RX-8 wheels with subie center caps, stebro muffler, resonator delete, koni inserts, perrin crank pulley, hella 500 off-road lights, power-slot rotors and .....
1993 968 Coupe 6-speed, 80,xxx miles black, H&R springs
Old 05-19-2010, 04:40 PM
Maniac modifier

Definately looks like you are lacking full combustion... Have you checked the fuel filter? Might also be a good idea to get an inline pressure gauge onto that thing and see what your FP is

Tom
Old 05-19-2010, 06:29 PM

Registered SVX

Tom,

First....Thank you so much for following this with me.

At my last stealership experience, the tech told me the car was running a fuel pressure of 35-ish psi max. Not sure what they are supposed to run? Fuel filter is newer with about 3000 miles on it, (it is an Autozone part.)

The inlet hose to manifold fuel lines from fuel filter had been changed and is 50 psi hose but not "fuel injection hose", does this matter? Same hose is on the step from manifold line to FPR.

BTW: The plugs have only about 800 miles on them. Not sure if they are the wrong heat range, or they are running hot because of bad fuel/air, or because the timing is too far advanced. Will hopefully know more this weekend when I can get into the timing.

Still wondering why the car is blowing air out at the connection between the MAF and airbox lid???

Thanks.

1995 SVX-L AWD, green, 98,xxx miles, ECUtune 1.5, mazda RX-8 wheels with subie center caps, stebro muffler, resonator delete, koni inserts, perrin crank pulley, hella 500 off-road lights, power-slot rotors and .....
Old 05-19-2010, 06:33 PM
Maniac modifier

The only way to get air out of the intake is a backfire... I think your cam timing is off and this is where you will likely find the culprit. 36@ idle is about all you get for fuel pressure, I would go ahead and buy fuel injection hose though... Costs more, but costs less than a fuel leak turned into car fire

Tom
Old 05-20-2010, 08:37 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Yes I agree.
If the key way on the exhaust cam is moving, it will retard the valve timing, on that side. The main effects are the backfiring into the manifold, and the bad low speed running due to the retarded valve timing.
Moneys on the left exhaust, cam key way.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:40 AM

Registered SVX

Got the crank pulley off using Tom's trick under the car. The timing is all indexed correctly, unless it's 180 out, but I wouldn't think it would run in that state.

Will attempt to remove belt tonight to get to the cam key-way inspection. Can anyone help me remember where I saw a thread that had photos of the bad key-way condition to reference?

Is there also a special trick to removing the cam sprockets? Should I try to loosen the bolts before I take off the belt?

Will post some photos later as well.

Thanks guys.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:56 PM

Registered SVX

Crap,

Car's all back together....

Everything looked good with the key ways and the engine was timed correctly.

Connected negative terminal on battery and it looked like the 4th of July! So I get in and sure enough, turn the key to the "on" position and nothing! Not even a dome light. No radio, idiot lights, nothing.

Touched the fusible link which immediately sizzled and separated. WTF???

Help!!

Old 05-23-2010, 05:23 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Id check your alternator positive lead! Thats the only thing I can think of you had to remove that would have fried a fusible link if installed incorrectly. Check that, then get a new fusible link and it will be hopefully good to go.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:22 PM

Registered SVX

It's great that there are some knowledgeable folks here that watch over the weekend, (as that's when most people get stuck or screwed as in my case.)

Will do as advised and repost.

Thanks,

Old 05-23-2010, 06:53 PM

Registered SVX

Okay,

I think I found it. I pulled a super bonehead move and didn't notice that the crimp on the lower alt lead was touching the alternator housing.

Will replace fuseable link when I get it and try again.

Duhrrr!

Old 05-23-2010, 07:22 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

He fades back.... SWOOSH.... annnd thats the game!!

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:38 AM

Registered SVX

Fashioned a fusible link out of the old crimps and some equivalent gauge speaker wire, reused the rubber socks and cloth wrap.

Car fired right up! Bush mechanics would be proud. So, I will order the factory link and am really happy to know that I didn't burn up anything else.

All cam timing is good and camshaft/pulley key-ways looked clean and damage free.

Idle still sucks and car is "soggy" until about 4000 rpm.

So now what??? Iris check valve in backwards? Replace RH O2 sensor? Knock sensors? (I am still not getting any codes.) Combination of resonator delete and Stebro muffler messing things up? ECUtune 1,5 causing problems? EGR? Plugged cat?

Would really like to finally be able to enjoy this car again.

Thanks.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macadamianut View Post
Fashioned a fusible link out of the old crimps and some equivalent gauge speaker wire, reused the rubber socks and cloth wrap.

Car fired right up! Bush mechanics would be proud. So, I will order the factory link and am really happy to know that I didn't burn up anything else.

All cam timing is good and camshaft/pulley key-ways looked clean and damage free.

Idle still sucks and car is "soggy" until about 4000 rpm.

So now what??? Iris check valve in backwards? Replace RH O2 sensor? Knock sensors? (I am still not getting any codes.) Combination of resonator delete and Stebro muffler messing things up? ECUtune 1,5 causing problems? EGR? Plugged cat?

Would really like to finally be able to enjoy this car again.

Thanks.
Congrats on the firing right up, however you may wanna start small and work your way from there. You can check your iris check valve easy enough and that is free. May wanna just run it drive it and check it out. After all the stuff you have checked and verified you may want to start over with diagnosing. The car may have a different problem, no problem (except being soggy ), or the same problem. If you can go back to stock ECU and remove the ECU tune to verify that ISN'T a cause it would be worth the shot. Not sure others would agree with me on starting over with diagnosis or not. Plus there are guys that have been following your issues and provide great advice so they may have other options. Good luck and thanks for keeping up to date.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:22 PM

have you checked the wiring for voltage drop?

My battery cables were causing my stalling problem, and I know alot of nissans of this era (which share sensors/wiring) need thier MAFs rewired due to corrosion/damage