How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2009, 03:33 AM

Front Look Design Update

Let's just say we are to design the updated looks of our SVX, I believe most people would probably want something done to the front end.

If you could have a hybrid front modification or reference for design inspirations, which car would you propose? I mean from head-lights to the entire bumper..

R32 GTR?
R33 GTR?
Integra Type R?
what else might be a good source?
Old 10-24-2009, 07:43 AM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Re: Front Look Design Update

I think the front design is just fine. The headlights need updating due to new technology (get nice rear projection headlamps), but other than that the design is good.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 10-24-2009, 08:18 AM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T

It could use a different bumper only. Or a new lip for said bumper.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:32 AM

Registered SVX

I think a complete facelift would be ok, an slight mod in the front end and a bigger mod in the rear lights, bumper and trunk.
70' Olds Toronado
98' Renault Chamade
82' Honda Prelude
79' Honda Accord awaiting restomod.
69' Mustang Hardtop
67' Jeep Ford Willys awaiting restoration.
67' IKA Torino Coupe
74' Renault Torino Coupe
Old 10-24-2009, 09:19 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

IMO if a 1998 SVX redesign had come out, or if in a fantasy world Subaru suddenly brought it back and still used the original chassis/body, just some minor updating to the front and "maybe" rear would have worked for me.

A more modern hood/headlight/bumper integration with some curves to it - nothing too drastic (definitely nothing like any post-SVX Subies), just something more aggressive and forward looking than the flat horizontal lines at the front of the trunk, strip of headlight/grille, and top of bumper. Maybe something like the RX-8 morphed into the current SVX front. And updated technology headlights/markers to go with.

From there back leave the body nearly untouched. Maybe give it back the more aggressive fender flares and side skirts from the prototype. If it was possible to lower the profile of the cockpit glass without sacrificing headroom too?

In the rear the aforementioned fender flares and the blended in spoiler with LED from the prototype. Maybe the bumper from the prototype as well, with the pipes coming out closer to the middle and fully enclosed. Some slight updates to the tail lights maybe to give them more shape but keep them wrap around and add LED of course.

All in all though, the SVX style still holds up and still turns heads. And though it is finally starting to look dated (in a classic way of course), we still get people asking if it is a new Subaru they haven't seen yet.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 10-24-2009, 09:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

I hope Giorgetto doesn't see this conversation.
2001 Audi S8
Old 10-24-2009, 09:46 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1995SVX View Post
I hope Giorgetto doesn't see this conversation.

Giorgetto has my blessing to design an updated SVX any time Subaru is smart enough to let him. He'd probably change it even more than I would like though. It might not have been clear, but all of my changes are very minor updates in technology and styling cues since the bulk of the SVX body is still timeless IMO. And based on a theoretical "if they came out with a new one" - can't expect 100% same SVX designed in 1989 to come out as a 2011 model.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 10-24-2009, 02:07 PM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansvx View Post
Let's just say we are to design the updated looks of our SVX, I believe most people would probably want something done to the front end.

If you could have a hybrid front modification or reference for design inspirations, which car would you propose? I mean from head-lights to the entire bumper..

R32 GTR?
R33 GTR?
Integra Type R?
what else might be a good source?
I can't even take you seriously after that comment....

I'm sorry if that sounds rude, but there is nothing good looking about any Integra

1992 Ebony LS-L w/191k miles Mods: a few and acouple more

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

1992 Pearly LS-L w/154k miles Sold Mods: 4.11, rust

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company
Old 10-24-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
IMO if a 1998 SVX redesign had come out, or if in a fantasy world Subaru suddenly brought it back and still used the original chassis/body, just some minor updating to the front and "maybe" rear would have worked for me.

All in all though, the SVX style still holds up and still turns heads. And though it is finally starting to look dated (in a classic way of course), we still get people asking if it is a new Subaru they haven't seen yet.
You even have the right paint job Troy to turn heads! Between my liquid silver and the Claret, the Claret is the ones that gets the great comments.

We can park our cars on any parking lot with all kinds of new cars, and the SVX still shines!

Keith
Old 10-24-2009, 09:36 PM

thanks for all the comments and ideas.

Actually, I am in the process of restoring my 96 SVX. From interior to exterior.

The reason I am asking for opinions is that as I have the resources to "hand make" literally any style I want for the car as long as it makes sense.

I could go as simple as following the Cloud bumper and Delta side skirts, however, I just thought that hearing more ideas would not be a bad thing.

Macgyver, I am still picturing how the blend of RX8 would look.. but, love the prototype rear bumper idea. thanks for reminding me as I did have that picture in archive. It's a go for the rear bumper!

regards to the flared fenders, I will think deeper about it.

thanks!

Attached is the JDM type R front looks, Just thought that the head lights look great no?

Any more ideas are welcome!
Old 10-24-2009, 09:36 PM

missed out the photo..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 圖片1.jpg (21.5 KB, 298 views)
Old 10-25-2009, 06:10 AM

What do you think about this front bumper design? It does look futuristic to me..
Attached Files
File Type: doc front.doc (90.5 KB, 255 views)
Old 10-25-2009, 08:45 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius View Post
I think the front design is just fine. The headlights need updating due to new technology (get nice rear projection headlamps), but other than that the design is good.
For probably the first time ever--I agree with you. People still stop and stare and assume that it is a new car wherever I go. Do people get that reaction with their riced out cars?? I doubt it.

I will admit that Cloud does do some cladding that is both tasteful and similar to the concept car that I think most of us love. I haven't seen anything else that I thought even approached the class and appearance of our stock SVX.

Of course I am an old fart that is easy to satisfy--give me a slightly stiffer suspension, larger wheels and maybe 30 more HP and I would be a happy camper. Having said that---I still have a stupid, happy grin on my face whenever I drive mine on the 130 mile interstate trip to Albuquerque (or any longer trip)---such a dream to drive.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 10-25-2009, 10:06 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1995SVX View Post
I hope Giorgetto doesn't see SilverSpear's SVX.
^^^^^^^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansvx View Post
What do you think about this front bumper design? It does look futuristic to me..
Not bad Brian, not bad at all...

Design taken from Opel/Vauxhall

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.

Last edited by SilverSpear; 10-25-2009 at 12:29 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:05 PM

That vauxhall isn't too bad.

I wouldn't mind a modified version of the 2005-2009 Subaru Legacy face. especially this K2Gear version, on the blue wagon.

If anything... widen the headlights for integral fogs... cut the grille down vertically a bit... but even that isn't absolutely necessary.

they should keep as much of the bullet/arrow profile (bumper beam being the front, with the "chin" canting back from it.

Cars look odd when the chin spoiler bit is further forward than the bumper beam, or even straight vertical. It makes the front of the car look more bulky, and flat, or look like it is built like an old locomotive cow catcher. even the vauxhall and k2-gear Legacy might be a bit too flat. on the front.

The new impreza looks flat bot above and below the bumper beam, like it has been pre-crashed and flattened, by design.

I wouldn't mind a bit more angle to the front, even when viewed from above... it might give the front end a little more visual personality... the wide, flat headlight bar makes the car look every bit as wide at it is.

But not too drastic. it still has to fit with the lines of the car. I'd rather the front had more square fender flares to match the rear flares, and the concept, and the more pronounced side skirts.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.

Last edited by BoxerFanatic; 10-25-2009 at 04:09 PM.