SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2009, 07:47 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX
PA DMV mistake

Well I got a carfax on my car about 2 years ago and it says their is an inconsistent odometer reading which I know is false. It says in 5/20/1998 it had 48,778 miles and was for sale at the time in a dealership in East Petersburg,PA. Then on 7/27/1998 it was purchased and registered in Titusville,PA with 109,302. After that it says on the same day it was registered in Manhiem, PA with 46,907. This is where the odometer reading is scrambled around. This leads me to believe some tard in Titusville screwed up the odometer readings. Proof would be on 4/18/2005 it had 100,685 when it was inspected. On 4/04/2006 it was registered in Manhiem again no odometer reading. And on 7/03/2006 a Salvage title was issued in Titusville, PA with no odometer reading. Then when I bought it and got a rebuilt title on it, it was registered in Huntingdon, PA with 109,603.

So I think when Titusville put in 109,302 they put it in the wrong year which would give me an incorrect odometer reading on the carfax. So the big question is how do I get this corrected because its bugged me ever since I noticed it. Thanks and sorry for the long post
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 07-16-2009, 08:11 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: PA DMV mistake

Either that or someone drove it forward 60,527 miles in the two months between the 5/20 and 7/27, then drove it in reverse 62,295 miles on 7/27. Assuming that the reverse miles happened within a maximum of 8 business hours, someone drove that baby 7,787 mph (Mach 10.23) in reverse

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.

Last edited by SoCal LS-L; 07-16-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Interesting that your car is from titusville. That's one town over from me.

To read a carfax report, it's important to think for yourself. It's clear what the error is. Just disregard it. Most carfaxs are full of mistakes.
2001 Audi S8
Old 07-16-2009, 08:44 PM

Registered SVX

It was really only registered in 5 placed total. First Northvale,NJ / East Petersburg,PA / Titusville,PA / Manhiem,PA / Huntingdon,PA. It must have been a well liked demo because it had 4,589miles on it when the first owner was issued the title.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Past subies:

98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 07-17-2009, 02:39 AM
One teal and One yellow

I think carfax got the info from DMVs? But are they going to update your carfax if the DMV gets it fixed later??

And, if you gonna fix it with DMV, you have to very consistent and prove that they are wrong imo. So they will update the info. It's quite difficult imo.

Anyway, it's a more ten years old car. Some people don't care that much, some yes.

The WV DMV doesn't even put in the mileages if your car is older than ten years. They screwed me up twice.

One of my older car 93 Mazda 626 (which already sold) they made a mistake when I did my title transfer. They made a mistake from actual mileage to non-actual mileage. I told them but they wanted me to prove it and it's very difficult. If your car is pretty new, it really kills your car value after it shows up on carfax. Good that I explained everything to my buyer years ago he understood and didn't even negotiate the price based on my car conditions.

The other one it's my current 2006 dd. I bought it since end of 2007 and I paid one and half year registration till 2009. When I tried to renew my car plate last month till 2010, they said it's dead over a year and I couldn't do it or I had to pay more and get a new plate. I told them I did pay for 1.5 yrs fee and they wanted me to prove that. It's really a trouble and I proved them wrong. They fixed it. I had to pull my credit card statement like 1.5 yrs ago and showed them how much I paid. They fixed it right away and I could be able to renew and keep my current vanity plate.

DMV makes mistakes on and off and same things to carfax reports. I knew some of the old cars I bought they'd been in accidents after I owned them. Carfax never showed anything and it's in clear titles too. But, I got some really good deals and the cars ran great and they're hard to tell.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 07-17-2009, 09:03 AM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightningsvx View Post
This leads me to believe some tard in Titusville screwed up the odometer readings.
ever been to titusville? lots of tards there (I lived there for 2 years)

I wonder if I ever drove your car when it was in East Pete. I remember back about then test driving a 2wd SVX at the dealer. I told him I wasn't interested cause it was 2wd and I didn't know that when i drove off the lot with it. I did an awesome burnout with it too out by Kellogs (Mike knows where this is)

Last edited by subeman90; 07-17-2009 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by subeman90 View Post

I wonder if I ever drove your car when it was in East Pete. I remember back about then test driving a 2wd SVX at the dealer. I told him I wasn't interested cause it was 2wd and I didn't know that when i drove off the lot with it. I did an awesome burnout with it too out by Kellogs (Mike knows where this is)
I bought my first SVX from Lancaster County Motors Subaru in East Petersburg. I also think I know who owned redlightning's car when it was registered in the Lancaster area.

Oh, and yes, people in this area are, in general, complete idiots. (Except for me, of course.)
2001 Audi S8
Old 07-17-2009, 11:21 AM
Soobologist

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1995SVX View Post
Oh, and yes, people in this area are, in general, complete idiots. (Except for me, of course.)
you are a transplant so you don't count but I'd say you might be leaning that way since you did choose to settle in Meadville.

Might want to sell the house before they suck your brains out
Old 07-17-2009, 11:29 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX

Most cars exempt at that age and it's no longer recorded. I wouldnt' worry much about it. Mileage is often screwed up, just takes someone miskeying or writing illegably. I had that happen on my license plate once, guy said "your plate is GGT4475 and the one on your registration is GGT4477. you're going to jail for stealing plates" Surely enough, that didn't happen, but that should be pretty obvious to be a mistake. Especially since the pink slip i had with me still had my plate number, whoever keyed it in harrisburg just messed up. But that's PA cops too.

Anyways, it's only mileage, I wouldn't worry about it. If you go to sell just get a picture of SVXCommuter's odometer at 334k or something like that and be like "it'll run forever."
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 07-17-2009, 04:45 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by subeman90 View Post

I don't know anybody from there nor have I been there. I just assume their tards cause most PAers are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1995SVX View Post
I bought my first SVX from Lancaster County Motors Subaru in East Petersburg. I also think I know who owned redlightning's car when it was registered in the Lancaster area.

Now that you mention Lancaster County motors it did have a dealer emblem stuck to the trunk when I bought it salvaged.

I found some pics when I bought it. You can see the emblem on the one pic. It was Subaru Mitsubishi Dealer tag.

Past subies:

98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress

Last edited by redlightningsvx; 07-17-2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:20 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

In short, you don't do anything with the mileage. Must have run through the auction a couple of times which is probably where the discrep. showed up.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:38 PM

Registered SVX

It just bugs the hell out of me though
Past subies:

98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 07-18-2009, 10:02 AM
Soobologist

Registered SVX

where did you buy it at? Where is that picture taken at with it having a wrecked fender? I'm just curious.

if you didn't know Lancaster county motors is in East Petersburg.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:50 AM

Registered SVX

The pics are at my house. I bought it about 2 min from my house at a deli where the owner buys cars from auctions wrecked and fixes them.
Past subies:

98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 07-18-2009, 01:40 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightningsvx View Post
It just bugs the hell out of me though
Oh and if you bother to try you'll be bugged even more as they'll simply tell you that the car is mileage exempt at this point anyways and to have a nice day.