Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 05-06-2008, 01:30 PM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX
Anyone got a 2005 Legacy GT? I have questions

I'm looking at a black/beige 05 Legacy GT wagon to replace my acura CL-S. I found a good deal on one, and it drives like its brand new but it has 120K miles on it. yep, thats right, 120K. The purchase date was 6/05 so i'm pretty sure it was majority highway miles but i'm still unsure about the tranny.

The dealer is willing to replace the timing belt and water pump, so i'm not worried at all about that. These engines can take a beating, but what about the tranny? Does anyone know if the Legacy suffers from any tranny longevity issues?
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:32 PM

Got a bunch of friends with the manual version, no issues at all. (transmission that is)

Make sure the fans recall is done, as well as the instrument cluster rattle recall.

I autocross, therefore I am.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:48 PM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX
Oh yeah, i should have mentioned

This is an automatic. I'd like a manual, but alas, it is not. Still rides great though. Any known issues with auto tranny failure?

PS. Thanks for the heads up on those recalls. I'll check into that before i buy it.
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halistan View Post
This is an automatic. I'd like a manual, but alas, it is not. Still rides great though. Any known issues with auto tranny failure?

PS. Thanks for the heads up on those recalls. I'll check into that before i buy it.
I have had 2 2000+ legacies with the 4Eat, and it was very reliable.

Generally, a well maintained non SVX tranny will last forever.

I know of people with well over 300K on an auto with no issues (subaru)

Older Turbo leggies are somewhat prone - usually maintenance related (91-94) and as you know, it is going to happen on SVX's

No real info for you on the 5EAT, sorry.

I autocross, therefore I am.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:27 PM
i can make it on my oooowwwnn!

i have a 05 gt limited sedan(black with tan), but mines manual. awsome car, best color IMO, you won't regret getting one but that's alot of miles for any car. that being said if it is in great shape/well maintained/ and the price is right you're set.
as for the auto tranny i haven't heard any thing bad but i also haven't been looking....this will help. http://www.legacygt.com/forums/?
Old 05-06-2008, 10:45 PM
Hater

i have a 5EAT LGT, and this tranny is SOOOOOO much better than the craptastic 4EAT.

don't know about longevity - i only have ~23k miles on it, but its been stage 2 for most of its life with no problems.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 05-08-2008, 12:20 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
I had an 07 SE Sedan with a manual trans. Nice car, but the dash and speakers rattled by the time I sold the car with 19k on it.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:44 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike621 View Post
I had an 07 SE Sedan with a manual trans. Nice car, but the dash and speakers rattled by the time I sold the car with 19k on it.
there was a service bulletin for the dash rattle - its the fuel lines behind the driver's kick panel.

i fixed it in 5 minutes with some foam weatherstrip rather than make an appointment with the dealer and wait who knows how long.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:53 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
Gotcha.

The entire time I owned that car I wished I had gotten a wagon instead. Regardless, now is not a good time for car payments for me so off with a new owner it went.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:53 AM
Grand Poo-Bah

Registered SVX
hmm, still considering it

Well, the car seems to be in fantastic shape, and the salesman said they'd be willing to put a new timing belt, water pump and re-seal the engine before I bought it (at no additional cost). They are asking 14k for it but I'd expressed my misgivings about the tranny and the fact that it takes premium and gets worse gas mileage than the acura i'm driving now and told him i wouldn't pay more than 10k for it and they're actually considering it (now i wish i had told him 8 or 9 lol)

Thats still a lot of miles and with gas going up, i still have concerns. Although, it would lower my car payment and it has about as many miles as my acura does, so its still makes some financial sense if it'll last longer than my acura. From what i hear, the CL's really start falling apart after 100k and i'm starting to feel it. The tranny in this car sucks and i expect it to start slipping any time now.

One other thing...are the 2.5 turbos interferance engines? I know the 3.3's aren't but i wasn't sure about the 2.5's
Old 05-09-2008, 08:02 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
I had a hard time squeezing $15000 out of people looking at my 07 SE sedan with 19k on it.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:59 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by halistan View Post
..... and the fact that it takes premium and gets worse gas mileage than the acura i'm driving now ....
be prepared - i get 16-17mpg when i drive normally (crazy) and 17-19mpg when i drive like a turtle. the fun is worth it, though.

Quote:
One other thing...are the 2.5 turbos interferance engines? I know the 3.3's aren't but i wasn't sure about the 2.5's

not definite, but PRETTY sure they aren't, as i've never heard of any catastrophic timing belt failures. if it wasn't done during its life, at 120k its overdue for a new timing belt water pump anyway.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: