Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Wheels / Tires
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 03:29 AM

Fitting Large dia Tyres

I need to get more ground clearance and tyres that handle rocks in the side wall. Have decided to try to fit 235 70 R16. The ones I chose are Wrangler Silent Armor because they have Kevlar in the side walls which is the same stuff used in bullet proof vests. So here are some photoes of the chop job and I do me chop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0041.JPG (477.5 KB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0043.JPG (467.8 KB, 262 views)
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:38 AM

Registered SVX
For your special application it looks the real deal.

The only possible problem which could be considered, is the added unsprung weight, which will throw an increased load on all suspension and steering components. I am sure you have taken this into account and I would go along with a conclusion that OEM built in tolerances will not have been excessively exceeded.

A second thought is that the large tyres will assist in offsetting shock loads, an important problem for you, so that there is a win to offset any possible loss.

I have chimed in only because it would appear that you are looking for opinion, so as to reinforce your thinking. I hope my comments may help.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-10-2007, 10:12 AM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
...your wheels are on backwards

That is some serious meat you have on your car. It's pretty cool to see someone take the svx to it's Subaru off road roots...and suprisingly enough, it looks like your car's bodywork and paint are in better shape than most of the road-goers
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 10-12-2007, 07:17 AM

Trevor,
You are right i am looking for opinion and suggestions. I have considered the weight issue and agree with you conclusion about the shock. 200,000kilometres back I could not keep wheel bearings in the back, if the rim got bent then with in 10,000 kilometres the the bearing was shot. Now I run heavier bearing and I don't even bother if the rim is bent or not. I have also taken direct hits to the front wishbone and not effect the wheel aligment. In short the car is built like a brick sh__ house so nothing we hurt it as long as I run the bigger bearings.
When I was last out in the centre of Australia getting fuel the guy goes "your back" so I asked how did he remember me and he said I was the only car he had every seem make it to such a isloted place. He said many tried to get there but no one made it in a car.
That's why I drive a subaru SVX, there the best cars ever made. Eric the car does not have one spec of rust any were.
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:33 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Tony

The work looks good. What you are actually using the SVX for in this instance is as good as off-road.

There are plenty of jeeps and so on doing school runs that never see off-road, so good on you.

If the weight turned out to be a problem, you could consider changing the calipers and disks. Todd is using BMW ones I think [maybe Porsche, but Beemer I think] for reasons of lighter unsprung weight. If you feel the extra weight is causing harm, you could contact him for a suggestion on retro-fit.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-12-2007, 08:40 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
Trevor,
You are right i am looking for opinion and suggestions. I have considered the weight issue and agree with you conclusion about the shock. 200,000kilometres back I could not keep wheel bearings in the back, if the rim got bent then with in 10,000 kilometres the the bearing was shot. Now I run heavier bearing and I don't even bother if the rim is bent or not. I have also taken direct hits to the front wishbone and not effect the wheel aligment. In short the car is built like a brick sh__ house so nothing we hurt it as long as I run the bigger bearings.
When I was last out in the centre of Australia getting fuel the guy goes "your back" so I asked how did he remember me and he said I was the only car he had every seem make it to such a isloted place. He said many tried to get there but no one made it in a car.
That's why I drive a subaru SVX, there the best cars ever made. Eric the car does not have one spec of rust any were.
Tony, thank you for this information. This is proof positive about what we all believe regards the SVX; exceptional engineering [with the possible exception of the wheel bearings!] and rock solid build quality.

With your permission I want to frame this post for all newbies to see in one of the information forums.

The SVX Enterprise; boldly going where other cars fail to measure up.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-12-2007, 02:08 PM

Good idea Joe. What is even more amazing is that were I go there is no speed limits and I can average 140kph for 5 hour straight even getting up to 180 kph, remember this is dirt and rock covered roads. The big 4 wheel drives can't even get close to my speeds. Its important to keep in mind that my car is still the origonal engine and exhaust system. and now has 420,000 of which about 200,000 have been dirt at speed. Brilliant car, I tell the wife and kids when I die bury me in my car.
Tony
Old 10-12-2007, 03:03 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Hi Tony, nice tires

I am interested in the bigger wheel bearings you have used. I don't need to replace my stockers...yet

As Joe mentioned I do have bigger brakes (Porsche 996 and StopTech), just not on the car. I have been autocrossing the car regularly and with upgraded pads, freshly cut meaty rotors and braided lines have not felt the need. Next springs track days may have me changing my mind though.

Todd
Old 10-12-2007, 03:12 PM

Todd have you removed the dust cover on the front. The rally car we have has standard brakes just different rotors and remove dusk cover works perfect never fads.
Tony
Old 10-12-2007, 03:14 PM

Registered SVX
Tony, Please, please, please,

Write up an article for publishing here. It will definitely comprise the most important FAQ on offer.

If you are short on time, simply bash out a series of facts and experiences, send me a PM or email and I will be happy to knock something into shape. Final publishing would be subject to your consent and copy rights remain your property.

This is important and very much a worthwhile project.

Thanks in advance as I are sure you will come to the party.

Sincerely, Trevor.

P.S. How about some photographs.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 10-12-2007 at 03:16 PM. Reason: P.S. Added
Old 10-12-2007, 03:15 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

No I haven't Tony, though I do have some nice OEM duct pieces that a friend of mine was kind enough to get for me so that I could get some venting to the brakes Maybe next year.

Tell me about the bearings though.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:19 PM

Joe I really can't suggest enough that you take them off, you will be amazed at the difference I have two SVX's one with them off mine and one with them on My Wifes, when I drive her car I have to remind my self to watch the brakes.
If you do a search on my handle you will see the details on the bearings etc as we discussed it before. If you have troble I will post it again let me know.
Tony
Old 10-12-2007, 03:23 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Who's this Joe character you refer to Tony I know of one bloke, Irish, nice car, nice family too. That him?

I'll poke around your posts. I wasn't sure if you'd posted details and figured I'd ask.

Todd

(BTW-Hello Trevor)
Old 10-12-2007, 03:33 PM

Sorry Todd doing 3 things at once.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:08 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Hi Todd

Sorry for taking your name in vain

Hav a look at this thread: Here

Full description of smaller but stronger bearings.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl