How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 06:57 PM

Arrow SVX stage one chip

So whats the deal with that chip on motorsports wharehouse. The pic looks like a fuse. If it is as easy as sticking it in like a fuse well sign me up.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:08 PM
Subaru Swapper

Send a message via AIM to AFBeefcake
Its a circuit bord about 3" x 5" that goes inside the ECU. The hardest part of the install is removing and reinstalling the ecu under the dash.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:09 PM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
You do realize it looks like this... right?

http://ecutune.com/images/sub-adaptor-2.jpg

But it is pretty easy to install from what I've seen. Sadly they're not in stock right now, ETA TBD.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:12 PM

Arrow chip

yeah, thats kinda what I was afraid of. Do think crushing the little black resistor or capacitor is a good idea if you are allready in there putting in the board or would the new board replace all those parts?

But you know what im talking about, in that pic it looks like a fuse.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:13 PM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
If you've got the ECU open anyway and that thing is there, then yes, crushing it is a good idea. Just make sure you're incredibly careful about it.

Besides, if your ECU is like mine then to use the Stage 1 chip you'd have to remove a resistor anyway. May as well fininsh up modding the thing, right?
Old 07-30-2007, 07:13 PM

Arrow Pic

No, I had no idea what it looked like. Thats a good pic. Anyone here have it installed?
Old 07-30-2007, 07:15 PM

Arrow Ecu

So different model SVX's have different ECU's
Old 07-30-2007, 07:19 PM
Retired

Yeah. The 91 ECU doesn't have that bead thing to crush from what I remember. The 92-95 do (I think?). The 96-97 ECUs are OBDII so ECUtune Stage 1 won't work with them anyway.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:53 PM
Still rebuilding my block...
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to cozykat Send a message via MSN to cozykat Send a message via Yahoo to cozykat
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer999
No, I had no idea what it looked like. Thats a good pic. Anyone here have it installed?
I installed the Stage 1 v5 and I love it! It took me about 2-3 weeks to feel all the benefits but I was really happy once I did.

below are pics:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ecuTune01.jpg (144.2 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg ecuTune02.jpg (110.5 KB, 225 views)
File Type: jpg ecuTune03.jpg (109.1 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg ecuTune04.jpg (72.3 KB, 217 views)

'93 LSL Anniversary Edition - 02/93 - 150,998 Daily Driver - Forged EG33 (long block), 6MT swap, and re-upholstered interior
'92 Pearl - 100k Side restoration project
Locker | Old Locker | Shutterfly | ReadingIX | Facebook | Instagram
Old 07-30-2007, 10:22 PM
Inhabitant of Darkness

Registered SVX
i went with stage 1.4 (when it was the newest model). i was happy with the results.
1992 Subaru SVX LS~L Ebony Pearl JDM 6MT/DCCD
2007 Subaru Legacy Spec B. Diamond Grey Metallic
Old 07-30-2007, 10:51 PM

Registered SVX
ecu

did you crush the bead/ resistor when you put in the ecu1.5 did it change your mileage?
Old 07-31-2007, 01:00 AM

Registered SVX
The Bead Thing.

As a matter of interest, the “thing“ which is crushed is a ferrite bead. In simple terms, it is a sleeve/bead of ferrite (iron oxide), which is arranged to surround a conductor, so as to form an inductor.

A common application involves chocking/blocking the the passage of high frequency interference within a circuit. Crushing the bead, therefore does not affect affect the continuity of a protected circuit.

My wild guess is that, in the instance of the SVX ECU, possibly some lower frequencies are inadvertently blocked, thus affecting a time delay function.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 07-31-2007, 10:26 AM
Still rebuilding my block...
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to cozykat Send a message via MSN to cozykat Send a message via Yahoo to cozykat
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
As a matter of interest, the “thing“ which is crushed is a ferrite bead. In simple terms, it is a sleeve/bead of ferrite (iron oxide), which is arranged to surround a conductor, so as to form an inductor.

A common application involves chocking/blocking the the passage of high frequency interference within a circuit. Crushing the bead, therefore does not affect the continuity of a protected circuit.

My wild guess is that, in the instance of the SVX ECU, possibly some lower frequencies are inadvertently blocked, thus affecting a time delay function.
Thanks for the info Trevor, I didn't know what the bead was for. I thought it looked like a capacitor but the issues people were having with it did sound more like an inductive issue (since inductors don't allow current to change quickly and thus act like an open circuit for a moment and then finally acting like a solid line). It just didn't look like I expected an inductor to look (little coils wrapped up). Cutting the resistor is just to tell the circuitry to read from the external memory (where the ECUTune chip plugs in), correct?

For my installation, I didn't have to crush the bead or cut the resistor off as that had been done by the dealership long before I purchased my SVX. They installed their own additonal chip (which is shown in the second picture I uploaded) that I had to remove to install the ECUTune circuit. So I never had an acceleration issue.. it was always a slow and steady pace (which was a tad scary for those short on-ramps to the highway). My car still accelerates at a smooth pace but now I get a faster response (and safer) for reaching highway speeds when entering the on-ramp. My engine also sounds.. deeper, is the best way I can put it (maybe throatier?). I think my mileage has stayed the same... but then I may be guilty of flooring it more often now. So overall I feel it was a good decision for my car.

I did watch Ray (halistan) & Kuo (kuoh3) perform the bead crush on Ray's SVX several years ago and I will say, that alone made a difference in his car's get up and go. Aredubjay can verify this as he test drove Ray's car at the 10th Anniversary meet and it was the first "mod" I ever heard Randy say, he was going to do.

'93 LSL Anniversary Edition - 02/93 - 150,998 Daily Driver - Forged EG33 (long block), 6MT swap, and re-upholstered interior
'92 Pearl - 100k Side restoration project
Locker | Old Locker | Shutterfly | ReadingIX | Facebook | Instagram
Old 07-31-2007, 11:35 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozykat
Cutting the resistor is just to tell the circuitry to read from the external memory (where the ECUTune chip plugs in), correct?
Correctamundo.