Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-26-2007, 12:11 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Pocono 7/20/07

Well it was my first track day... Most fun I have ever had in my car that included clothing being ON. I learned a LOT about how to drive my car better... I went there with the mentality that I would be applauded for my driving... but man was I wrong... I learned new methods of approching turns and following through them. I also learned a lot about how the car handles at speed and what it can and cannot do. With as much abuse as I was feeding her, the brakes held up ok.... BUT with as much fade as I was dealing with I really need to upgrade before i go bak again... I went through I would say 65% of my set of pads. THe brake light came on on the drive home because of how extended the caliper pistons were. Couple pics...
Drifting an off camber turn on the South course

Same turn... less drift

This is the NSX that I was eating all day

I also had an issue with a c5 supercharged corvette getting in the way but that was all driver... he was moving REALLY slow

Tom
Old 07-26-2007, 12:34 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Tom,
Nice! How long did it take you to get there? Did they do any timed laps?
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 07-26-2007, 12:35 PM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
Sweet run. I'd love to head up there at some point, but lots i need to do to my car before then... Did you ever get around hte nsx?
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 07-26-2007, 03:13 PM

Send a message via MSN to Guyver280z
Awesome. heavy luxury car dealing with light sports car.... SVX's are great

Next time take off the front license plate so your engine will stay cooler, racing heats up the engine like... a lot, every squared inch of air you can put into your radiator is going to help a lot.

Great pics.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:01 PM
One teal and One yellow

Nice pictures. Anymore?

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 07-26-2007, 07:18 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

I was there with Tom on Friday and stayed for the Saturday event. Best news is that the power is back. Tom discovered that my timing belt had jumped a notch or two, which is why it had no power. The old beast was back and ready to mix it up with some good cars. Friday was really heavy duty. Each run group, determined by driver experience, Tom was in HPDE 1, I was in HPDE 2, got eight half hour sessions on the track. All three courses at Pocono were in use. See map below:

North circuit runs clockwise, south and east circuits run counter-clockwise. I typically ran only 20-25 minutes each session, because the car would begin to overheat. Had some really great dices with a couple of cars, including a 944 Turbo, and an Integra R. But the best action was with this 964 Porsche below:

We were really closely matched. I passed him a couple of times and he returned the favor. Only later did I learn he was running R-compounds. I was also having some pretty good dices with a race-prepped Prelude, right behind me with the SCCA badge in the picture below, also running R-compounds, and the grey M3 with red tape that you can see toward the back of the photo below:

The south course is particularly awesome, because it includes the tighter of the two banked curves. I was hitting 110-115 at the end of the straight on the south course. Below is a picture of the banking and my Subie about to be eaten by an Evo:

Unfortunately, about halfway into the 8th session, on the south course, I came through the turn that leads from the infield road into the speedway a little too hot. Accelerator on the floor, tires screaming, maybe 85-90 mph and the rear end beings to come around. I try to counter steer, but there is no road left, I'm on the grass. Very very bump ride, hit a small drainage ditch, came to rest in the pit straight. The bead was knocked off the front tire, so it was flat, Rear tire bead was full of grass and dirt. Luckily a wrecker was there, and he said that if I would jack up the car, give him the wheels, he would clean them up overnite, and deliver them back to the track the next morning, and pick me up at the motel on the way. All for 20 bucks.

The next day was also really good, although not as intense. Got the wheels back on. No damage, not even any change in the handling. The second day was run on what they call the double infield. It is a single course and uses both the infield road for the north course and the infield road for the south course along with the pit straight, parts of the north and east straights and wide low banked oval at the top of the map and runs clockwise. Because they only were using one course, we only had 4 sessions. I really like that course, though. A lot of really interesting turns. Top speed at the end of the back straight for me is also over 110 mph.

In my class session, I asked my instructor about my "off" the day before. Asked him what you should do if you have an all wheel drive car, you're accelerating out of a turn onto a straight, the accelerator is on the floor, and the rear end starts to come around. He said "Go slower."

Continued my dicing with the 968, until he blew his engine. Then had a couple of intense sessions with the M3, until she got to driving it a little better. She was so much faster than I on the straights that when she picked up some speed in the corners, I had to "point her around."

It was a great weekend. Beautiful weather, great driving, good people. It don't get much better than this:

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold

Last edited by shotgunslade; 07-26-2007 at 07:49 PM.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:03 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Looks like a really fun day!
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 07-27-2007, 07:32 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
Great pictures, love those action shots! Lucky about the wheels, i would have thought you would have ground the tire or rim when you knocked off hte bead. All's well that ends well though
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 07-27-2007, 08:57 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Dumb question... what is the bead?
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 07-27-2007, 09:02 AM
OOC for a while

Send a message via AIM to 94SubieSVX
Its what keeps the tire on the rim

Quote:
Dumb question... what is the bead?
Old 07-27-2007, 04:01 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySVX
Sweet run. I'd love to head up there at some point, but lots i need to do to my car before then... Did you ever get around hte nsx?

Yeah... I was passing him all day Must have been the increased drag coef. of the plastic he put ALL over his nose ... He wasn't there to learn anything, he was there to be a sunday driver

Tom
Old 07-27-2007, 04:25 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Couple of questions:

1. Dan/YT - How did YT determine your timing belt had slipped?
2. YT -- so, what was the top speed you saw?
3. Dan - what tires are you running now (still the KDWs?)

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 07-27-2007, 04:32 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
Couple of questions:

1. Dan/YT - How did YT determine your timing belt had slipped? The A/C belt ate through the timing cover and debris was inside... I assumbed the belt was thrown off and I realigned it.... The car ran perfect so I assumed it had jumped
2. YT -- so, what was the top speed you saw? I was seeing 115-120mph just before the infield on the north course. I could have gone faster but the instructor was asking me to take it easy.
3. Dan - what tires are you running now (still the KDWs?) Yes, he still has the same tires and man... he is due for a new set...

-Bill
Answered ur questions Bill... BTW my final instructor almost **** himself when I told him we were running on 400 treadwear all seasons... He was shocked by the traction I was getting out of them. As was I

Tom
Old 07-27-2007, 10:31 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
Answered ur questions Bill... BTW my final instructor almost **** himself when I told him we were running on 400 treadwear all seasons... He was shocked by the traction I was getting out of them. As was I

Tom

Nice! How'd the exhaust sound at 115? Did you have to crank the GCs up when you went from the 18" rims to the 16" RX-7 rims to keep the exhaust from scrapping?

-Bill
p.s. so, how long did it take you to get to Pocono from Philly?

My Locker
Old 07-27-2007, 10:48 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
Nice! How'd the exhaust sound at 115? Did you have to crank the GCs up when you went from the 18" rims to the 16" RX-7 rims to keep the exhaust from scrapping?

-Bill
p.s. so, how long did it take you to get to Pocono from Philly?
Hey Wally.. the 18's have the same rolling diameter as the 16's But hey, I won't hold that against you.

It took me 2 hrs to get there from here but I was at the garage at 330am to make a new battery tie down because my new battery is taller than the old one and my 300zx bolts were not long enough

Tom