Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 02:22 PM

Would you love SVX if it were a Ford ???

I loved the SVX styling from day one.

I cared less about the Subaru technology behind it. I would have loved it even if it were a Chrysler as long as it were still limited production (600 in 97) and you did'nt see them evryday.

Is everyone else like me in this regard our do a lot of you like the Subaru in the SVX first and the Italian styling second ?
Old 12-02-2006, 02:45 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonybuchanan
I loved the SVX styling from day one.

I cared less about the Subaru technology behind it. I would have loved it even if it were a Chrysler as long as it were still limited production (600 in 97) and you did'nt see them evryday.

Is everyone else like me in this regard our do a lot of you like the Subaru in the SVX first and the Italian styling second ?

It wasn't a limited production, No one wanted to buy it. I think it was anticiapated to be a 5000-10000 a year sales car.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:56 PM

Come on benebob, the SVX is virtually limited production car. Not in the normal sense of "limited production" but all of us SVX lovers are as happy as if it were "limted production".
Geez, you didnt even take a stab at the question of whether the Subaru in the SVX matters or just the styling.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:18 PM

I liked it from day one. Aside from the Eagle, Celica turbo4 and 3000GT it was one of few AWD vehicles in the US market back in the early 90's. For me, I can drive a AWD car to it's limits with better confidence and more consistantly then I ever could with a rear or front wheel drive sport cars. The other main reason is that I like a car that has the capacity to go long distance and be comfortable. I've always enjoyed exploring and a car designed just for the tracks doesn't do it for me. I arrowhead hunt, backpack and have driven Over the Road for 10 years and I still love a good road trip. The cars handling, and comfort are really well balanced and I like the looks both inside and out. I've wanted one for years but could never afford one, and last summer I found one for $3000 that was in decent shape. The only dislike I have is that it's a tad slow. I don't care to go 0-60 in 5 seconds but I would like it to do it in the mid 6 second range. Also I've tested it's top end a few times and have never been able to get it above 130mph. I've put on new rotors and pads, ecutune stage1, underdrive pulley, sanded and re-painted the underneath, cut out and repaired the rust from the body work, re-painted the body, replaced the headliner and replaced a damaged rod bearing. I only drive the car a couple times a month and the only thing left is to paint and attach some new doors because the old ones were really rusted bad, and some of the bodywork showed thru the paint job. Those are my reasons.
Oh, but to answer your question, yes I would like it if it was a Ford. I think I could name a car from every manufacturer that has captured my heart.

Last edited by Hose92SVX; 12-02-2006 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:27 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Come on benebob, the SVX is virtually limited production car. Not in the normal sense of "limited production" but all of us SVX lovers are as happy as if it were "limted production".
Geez, you didnt even take a stab at the question of whether the Subaru in the SVX matters or just the styling.
So was the edsel and it had/has quite the following, ditto for the Studie Avante. I wouldn't have bought it if it was a ford as it would've had a subpar awd system they yanked from Volvo, oh wait they didn't own volvo that long ago! It would've had a subpar awd system yanked from the ford tempo.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:38 PM
#1 6MT In Cali

Send a message via AIM to gest24
The reason I bought an SVX was because it was a Subaru with the Boxer Engine. I don't think I'll ever buy another car make ever. This wasn't my first Subaru, the reason I ended up with an SVX was my mom thought it was a safe reliable car. I could care less who designed it. What makes the car is the motor. I personally prefer the H-6 over and other Subie motor.
1992 SVX LS-L: Now TomStock Stage 3... 6MT, R180 Rear, Tomstock Short Shifter and hard rubber mount, Group N Motor and Tranny Mount, Stage 2V6 Chip, Z32 MAF, Stage 3 CAI, Stebro, Intake Cams, 17" STi BBS Powder Coated Black, Bridgestone Potenza RE070, and Koni inserts w/Mychailo's Springs!

Sand Diego SCCA Solo 2 #308

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX
88 XT6(regret the day I left her behind)

socaleuro.com They like the flat 6...

Check My New Homepage..
Old 12-02-2006, 04:52 PM

Ges24, all car companies have a hot engine.
Old 12-02-2006, 05:10 PM

Wink

Right now I'm working on a car that utilizes the expansion of frozen water to push the pistons. So far the car has moved 2 feet in the last ten winters
Old 12-02-2006, 05:17 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hose92SVX
I liked it from day one. Aside from the Eagle, Celica turbo4 and 3000GT it was one of few AWD vehicles in the US market back in the early 90's. For me, I can drive a AWD car to it's limits with better confidence and more consistantly then I ever could with a rear or front wheel drive sport cars. The other main reason is that I like a car that has the capacity to go long distance and be comfortable. I've always enjoyed exploring and a car designed just for the tracks doesn't do it for me. I arrowhead hunt, backpack and have driven Over the Road for 10 years and I still love a good road trip. The cars handling, and comfort are really well balanced and I like the looks both inside and out. I've wanted one for years but could never afford one, and last summer I found one for $3000 that was in decent shape. The only dislike I have is that it's a tad slow. I don't care to go 0-60 in 5 seconds but I would like it to do it in the mid 6 second range. Also I've tested it's top end a few times and have never been able to get it above 130mph. I've put on new rotors and pads, ecutune stage1, underdrive pulley, sanded and re-painted the underneath, cut out and repaired the rust from the body work, re-painted the body, replaced the headliner and replaced a damaged rod bearing. I only drive the car a couple times a month and the only thing left is to paint and attach some new doors because the old ones were really rusted bad, and some of the bodywork showed thru the paint job. Those are my reasons.
Oh, but to answer your question, yes I would like it if it was a Ford. I think I could name a car from every manufacturer that has captured my heart.
All you need is 4.44's. 130 MPH?! Wow, I've seen 145 in mine with the stock gears and exhaust.

To answer the actual question here though, I doubt I'd buy it if it were a Ford because then even if it looked cool it would still be a slow and poorly engineered piece of crap like the rest of Fords.Where Subaru is getting mid 15's, Ford would be getting 17's. I mean come on, The new Shelby GT500 has 500 HP and can only run the 1/4 in 12.9?! I'm only 2 seconds behind with half the horsepower and an auto!! And my old 87 GTA(350 TPI/700R4) would have been riding on it's bumper damn near in a 1/4 mile and I could possibally have beaten it with some gears and some track side tricks. That to me is just sad especially for the price they are charging for them. The only Fords I ever liked were supercoupes, Turbocoupes, and 88-91 XR7 cougars(5.0's and supercharged), But they are all junk too because I've had 2 of them that made me walk more than I drove. Whoa, Almost got into a Ford rant. Wwwhheeww, Glad that's over.
Old 12-02-2006, 05:38 PM

Hey Budfreak, I saw where you do 4.44 swaps. I'd be intrested in doing something like that this coming summer. First got to get my Semi's rear ends rebuilt this spring, seeing how the old girl has 1 million miles on her and the driveshaft has almost a 180 degree play in it. As far as the 130 mph top end goes, it will shift into 4th about 125-128 then barely creeps up to 130-132 and won't push anymore. I've tried running both directions on this empty road (test strip) to see if wind is the problem, then one morning I did it again when the sun was coming out (least windy part of day) and same results. It doesn't feel like a governor's kicking in, it feels like it just doesn't push anymore. RPM's are somewhere between 4600-5000 when it first goes into 4th so it's not running out of gearing and if anything those RPM's are where the torque should be able to push it more. Aside from that it seems to run ok, and when doing 0-60 sprints there is a little tug in the seats when it hits 4000 RPM's, feels like a high 7's or 8 second 0-60 car. Anyway, let me know if you do those swaps and also what kind of top speed are you getting with those swaps. Not that I really ever drive that fast going to visit family, but just like to know it's there.
Oppps, sorry for getting off of original subject.

Last edited by Hose92SVX; 12-02-2006 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-02-2006, 05:49 PM
#1 6MT In Cali

Send a message via AIM to gest24
Quote:
Ges24, all car companies have a hot engine.
Yes they do, but Subaru nails it with almost every motor. They put the time to engineer they're product and rarely foul up. The only weak point Subaru has are trannys. The SVX and the 02 WRX... but with time they've worked out the kinks.

It just comes down to the fact I'd rather pay 17K for an Impreza w/AWD and a suspension shared with a WRX than a disposable car thats full of cheap parts and plastic.
1992 SVX LS-L: Now TomStock Stage 3... 6MT, R180 Rear, Tomstock Short Shifter and hard rubber mount, Group N Motor and Tranny Mount, Stage 2V6 Chip, Z32 MAF, Stage 3 CAI, Stebro, Intake Cams, 17" STi BBS Powder Coated Black, Bridgestone Potenza RE070, and Koni inserts w/Mychailo's Springs!

Sand Diego SCCA Solo 2 #308

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX
88 XT6(regret the day I left her behind)

socaleuro.com They like the flat 6...

Check My New Homepage..
Old 12-02-2006, 05:56 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Hey Budfreak, I saw where you do 4.44 swaps. I'd be intrested in doing something like that this coming summer. First got to get my Semi's rear ends rebuilt this spring, seeing how the old girl has 1 million miles on her and the driveshaft has almost a 180 degree play in it. As far as the 130 mph top end goes, it will shift into 4th about 125-128 then barely creeps up to 130-132 and won't push anymore. I've tried running both directions on this empty road (test strip) to see if wind is the problem, then one morning I did it again when the sun was coming out (least windy part of day) and same results. It doesn't feel like a governor's kicking in, it feels like it just doesn't push anymore. RPM's are somewhere between 4600-5000 when it drops into 4th so it's not running out of gearing and if anything those RPM's are where the torque should be able to push it more. Aside from that it seems to run ok, and when doing 0-60 sprints there is a little tug in the seats when it hits 4000 RPM's, feels like a high 7's or 8 second 0-60 car. Anyway, let me know if you do those swaps and also what kind of top speed are you getting with those swaps. Not that I really ever drive that fast going to visit family, but just like to know it's there.
Oppps, sorry for getting off of original subject.
Hey, Just give me 2 weeks notice and it can be done. I've hit 150 MPH in mine with the gears and it was still climbing, But I ran out of road. I think it will max out on RPM's at 160ish with the gears. I'm wondering if a sensor is reading out of spec or if the iris valve is stuck. It should easily get over 130. It's a 92, Right?
Old 12-02-2006, 06:04 PM

Yea, it's a 92. I remember reading somewhere that the later models were governed and the carfax report on this car showed where it had computer work done, so maybe it has a later computer, however I do have a ectune stage 1 and when it quits accelerating at top speed it does so slowly instead of suddenly like most governers. Maybe it cuts a couple cylinders off instead of the whole thing? Anyway I'll keep you in mind and maybe this summer I could truck the car out to you and have you do a swap. To early to tell right now but I got you written down. Thanks, Adam
Old 12-02-2006, 06:23 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Yea, it's a 92. I remember reading somewhere that the later models were governed and the carfax report on this car showed where it had computer work done, so maybe it has a later computer, however I do have a ectune stage 1 and when it quits accelerating at top speed it does so slowly instead of suddenly like most governers. Maybe it cuts a couple cylinders off instead of the whole thing? Anyway I'll keep you in mind and maybe this summer I could truck the car out to you and have you do a swap. To early to tell right now but I got you written down. Thanks, Adam
OK, No prob. yeah, 94 and later are governed. With the chip you should be able to pull more speed than that though. Hard to say what it could be.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:52 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
...If the car were a ford it would be 15 years behind in tech-nawli-gee and not 15 years ahead
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Closed Thread