SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-24-2006, 02:41 PM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Koni question

Just installed konis all around. There is a knocking coming from both fronts like bad top mounts.

Does any one know if this is normal? If not any idea what may cause it?

I really don't want to take them out to change the top mounts unless I have too.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:55 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
and the knocking wasn't there before you did the Koni install? Are the inserts tight in the strut housings? are the top mount bolts tight? are the sway bar bushings in good shape and the hangers tight? I'd suggest getting the car up on a lift and start pulling at the tires, etc. to see if you've got anything loose in the front end.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 11-24-2006, 05:12 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Sounds like you didn't get 'em seated properly into the mounts. Happens to me about 1/2 the time when I do the rears on our racer.
Old 11-25-2006, 05:47 AM
Posting since Dec.'98

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Sounds like you didn't get 'em seated properly into the mounts. Happens to me about 1/2 the time when I do the rears on our racer.
My back ones are fine. I was just wondering if knocking was normal in the front. (which I doubt)
Old 11-25-2006, 05:52 AM
Posting since Dec.'98

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
and the knocking wasn't there before you did the Koni install? Are the inserts tight in the strut housings? are the top mount bolts tight? are the sway bar bushings in good shape and the hangers tight? I'd suggest getting the car up on a lift and start pulling at the tires, etc. to see if you've got anything loose in the front end.
-Bill
The knocking is new. Replaced sway bay bushings with Eartworms poly ones and replaced a worn tie rod. Car will be on the hoist Monday but trying to get ideas before it goes in.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX_MY_BABY
My back ones are fine. I was just wondering if knocking was normal in the front. (which I doubt)
Did you read my post? Read it again and you'll understand better.

Poly bushings will make more noise as well but that's usually just creaking. Personally, I wouldn't touch them on a street car. They're embarrassing for not much advantage over comparably new rubber. Reason most think they do so much is b/c they replace 10-15 year old rubber with a brand new product. If they simply replaced it with new rubber they'd notice 98% of the improvement without any disadvantages.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:24 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Reason most think they do so much is b/c they replace 10-15 year old rubber with a brand new product. If they simply replaced it with new rubber they'd notice 98% of the improvement without any disadvantages.
I've compared old bushings, new OEM bushings and my poly bushings. What you say about old bushings is correct but my poly bushings are still much stiffer than stock.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
earthworm, i've heard pros and cons of both bushings new oem ones and poly urethane ones, and from what i've gathered is the oem ones are good for your regular daily driver and the poly ones are used for your more vigorous race interested drivers (nothing new there), BUT the big thing i learned is that the poly urethane bushings are more prone to stiffening and cracking and need to be regularly oiled, much more upkeep. I am all about upgrading old oem parts, but this specific upgrade seemed like a bit too much of a hassle.

If i've been misinformed, please correct me!
Old 12-04-2006, 12:01 PM
Posting since Dec.'98

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001
earthworm, I've heard pros and cons of both bushings new oem ones and poly urethane ones
One thing I can tell you about OEM's is that they are destroyed by "Rust Check". Living in a part of the world where the roads are heavily salted in winter and salt air blows in year round rust proofing is a must. Rust Check is acknowledged as the best defence (my 92 has no rust) but the bushings and rubber moldings take a beating from it. Hopefully the poly ones will stand up better.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
I've compared old bushings, new OEM bushings and my poly bushings. What you say about old bushings is correct but my poly bushings are still much stiffer than stock.

Yes earthworm, I know that but stiffer has its advantages and very distinct disadvantages. Stiffer doesn't always make her purrrrrr more ya know esp if she's on the street. Most people don't understand this and then wonder why their car groans and creaks over every pothole. Sure in a system the improvement will be noticed but improving 1 aspect only makes the weaker points weaker.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:19 PM
Posting since Dec.'98

Registered SVX
The struts are definitely seated properly. Took them out and took off the mount and spring mount to make sure the washer was there them reassembled and reinstalled. There are no rubbers on the springs.

My mechanic has used "electronic" ears to isolate the source of the knocking and has determined that it is coming from inside each front strut mechanism in the lower portion. As I didn't build these myself I don't know the intricacies. It seems that either a. the konis constantly knock or b. they have been assembled incorrectly.

Is there anything you can mess up in assembly which would cause a constant knocking? The best way I could describe it would be like a heavy piece of ice bouncing on each fender. A dull heavy knock.

I sure hope this can be fixed. It sounds like I'm driving a beat off pickup truck.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:26 PM

Wait a second, you have no rubber doughnuts between the strut and spring and spring and strut mount, its just metal on metal? Where are your cushions?
Old 12-05-2006, 04:33 PM
Posting since Dec.'98

Registered SVX
Quote:
Wait a second, you have no rubber doughnuts between the strut and spring and spring and strut mount, its just metal on metal? Where are your cushions?
The person who assembled the struts left out the cushions between the springs and the spring mounts. My old ones are shot. (good old rust check)
Old 12-05-2006, 04:58 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001
BUT the big thing i learned is that the poly urethane bushings are more prone to stiffening and cracking and need to be regularly oiled, much more upkeep. I am all about upgrading old oem parts, but this specific upgrade seemed like a bit too much of a hassle.
I never oiled the bushings I put on my car. No noise has ever come from them.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:13 PM
Own'eded

Send a message via AIM to curly2k3 Send a message via MSN to curly2k3
if you havent thought about it, check to make sure the battery is in there solid and not sliding around. i heard "knocking" as well...turns out the battery brace i am using sucks hardcore and has a hard time holding in the Optima Red Top in there