Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-23-2006, 07:45 AM

Power Steering Problem

Thanks in advance to any assistance. My power steering was sort of fading in and out and then just completely went out. I believe it is my power steering pump that failed on me. If anyone else has any other ideas as to what may have caused this to fail on me please let me know. Also, if it is my power steering pump, does anyone know where I can locate a used power steering pump or a decently priced new one? Thanks again.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:01 AM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Hi from Scranton! Nice to see another PA svx owner. Check the How-to Documents for the Power Steering O-Ring fix, it's cheap and only takes an hour. Check your belts too, see if they are 1. existing and 2. not slipping. Also check under the car for any leaks and see if you have the right amount of fluid in the reservoir. BTW it takes ATF not power steering fluid. If none of the above does the trick ebay usually has one.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:26 AM

Thanks for your input. Yea I don't usually see very many other SVX owners here in PA. I did not know that you should be using automatic transmission fluid instead of power steering fluid. I will drain the resevoir and place some automatic transmission fluid in the pump to see if that fixes the problem. Thanks.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:35 AM

Arrow ATF fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael
Hi from Scranton! Nice to see another PA svx owner. Check the How-to Documents for the Power Steering O-Ring fix, it's cheap and only takes an hour. Check your belts too, see if they are 1. existing and 2. not slipping. Also check under the car for any leaks and see if you have the right amount of fluid in the reservoir. BTW it takes ATF not power steering fluid. If none of the above does the trick ebay usually has one.
What!! I am running Power steering fluid in my '92. So you run ATF in your power steering system.???
Old 11-27-2006, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer999
What!! I am running Power steering fluid in my '92. So you run ATF in your power steering system.???
Subaru spec for the power steering is Dexron ATF. Doesn't really matter, except I'll bet the ATF is lots cheaper.

dcb
Old 11-27-2006, 11:26 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer999
Yes. It states it on the lid of the reservoir.

95Green, it is very sound advice to get the O ring before you empty the reservoir and do what you plan. It's a 5 or 10 minute job with the tank empty. When you replace the reservoir, and refill with ATF you might be pleasantly surprised it all works

Also look at the how-to list, and ensure your belt is tight enough. If it's not working after this lot, you may have a bad pump.

Archer, a lot of garages do not read the lid, and top it up with power steering fluid. Don't fret too much about it, but change it back to the right grade when you have a chance. As far as I know, the primary difference is the ATF has a much higher tolerance to high temperature, and does not break down as quick. The SVX steering kit exerts high loads and makes the oil work for a living.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl