Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-22-2006, 08:11 PM

Dry Lake speed test today

Went out to El Mirage dry lake bed today to watch some land speed racing and do a little speed testing.

El Mirage Dry lake BLM land about 50 miles outside of Riverside, CA. The surface is unreal, almost like pavement...pavement with no speed limit. The only downside is the elevation, which is around 3,000 feet.

I was able to get the SVX up to 120mph before running out of room and becoming a safety issue. I was surprised how "out of breath" the SVX gets at elevation.

Check out the video:

SVX Video

I also have some sweet hot rod pics from today if I can find a way to post, also some high speed spinouts caught on camera.

Kevin

Last edited by KevinM; 10-22-2006 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:33 PM
#1 6MT In Cali

Send a message via AIM to gest24
Awesome... once I transfer and get my weekends back I'm going to have to join you on a trip out there.

As for the practice today I managed to get 9 runs in. Are you in for the next race on the 12th?
1992 SVX LS-L: Now TomStock Stage 3... 6MT, R180 Rear, Tomstock Short Shifter and hard rubber mount, Group N Motor and Tranny Mount, Stage 2V6 Chip, Z32 MAF, Stage 3 CAI, Stebro, Intake Cams, 17" STi BBS Powder Coated Black, Bridgestone Potenza RE070, and Koni inserts w/Mychailo's Springs!

Sand Diego SCCA Solo 2 #308

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX
88 XT6(regret the day I left her behind)

socaleuro.com They like the flat 6...

Check My New Homepage..
Old 10-22-2006, 09:20 PM

Yeah, I should be good to go for the 12th. How was today's autocross?
Old 10-22-2006, 09:27 PM
#1 6MT In Cali

Send a message via AIM to gest24
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM
Yeah, I should be good to go for the 12th. How was today's autocross?
Not to hijack your thread but... It was good. 9 runs and I was running 68s-69s. Still off the pace a little bit but I'm getting faster. Hit the rev limiter a couple times and really heated up my RE070s. I'm learning and getting better.
1992 SVX LS-L: Now TomStock Stage 3... 6MT, R180 Rear, Tomstock Short Shifter and hard rubber mount, Group N Motor and Tranny Mount, Stage 2V6 Chip, Z32 MAF, Stage 3 CAI, Stebro, Intake Cams, 17" STi BBS Powder Coated Black, Bridgestone Potenza RE070, and Koni inserts w/Mychailo's Springs!

Sand Diego SCCA Solo 2 #308

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX
88 XT6(regret the day I left her behind)

socaleuro.com They like the flat 6...

Check My New Homepage..
Old 10-23-2006, 09:32 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
No Altitude Problem

Quote:
I was able to get the SVX up to 120mph before running out of room and becoming a safety issue. I was surprised how "out of breath" the SVX gets at elevation.
Kevin
Maybe you have some other issues. None of mine have any problems with being "out of breath" and most of my driving is at over 6000 feet altitude. One nice straight stretch of road is over 7000 feet and still no problems.

Lee
Old 10-23-2006, 09:34 AM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX
?Out of Breath?

Quote:
Went out to El Mirage dry lake bed today to watch some land speed racing and do a little speed testing.

El Mirage Dry lake BLM land about 50 miles outside of Riverside, CA. The surface is unreal, almost like pavement...pavement with no speed limit. The only downside is the elevation, which is around 3,000 feet.

Check out the video:

SVX Video

I also have some sweet hot rod pics from today if I can find a way to post, also some high speed spinouts caught on camera.

Kevin
{Edit} ... Sorry ihopp, didn't mean to step on your reply, we were both writing at the same time.
What?
I drive at 5000' all day long, and power is always there when I ask. The few times I have asked it to keep going, I always have to back off before it gets too fast.
So I have taken more to running easy, in the interest of keeping Myself, and the SVX around for a while longer.

What was the condition of the outside air at the Lake?
Cold is more dense, and any vehicle will do better in dense air.

I'd like to do an extended speed test on my Svx, but we don't have a place to do that around here.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:19 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
I don't think you were suffocating from altitude. I had a similar issue that topped me out at 125 a while back but I never figured out what it was.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:15 PM

I definately feel the difference driving at sea level and at elevation. The air temp was in the upper 70's - lower 80's. The car did feel better when it was cold, the next morning.

On the drive back, I easily accelerated from 80 to 100 on the freeway, much easier then on the lake bed. I want to go back and hit it on a less croweded morning, while it is still cool.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:36 AM

Speculating here:

The ECU contains a sensor to compensate for changes in elevation. If the car is normallly operated nearer sea level, could be it takes awhile for it to fully adapt to a new environment.

dcb