Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Brake Upgrades
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2006, 06:25 PM
Own'eded

Send a message via AIM to curly2k3 Send a message via MSN to curly2k3
Brake Conversion Questions

Well my brakes needed to be resurfaced/ changed anyways, so i am finally going to try what i have been meaning to do for the past 2 years now, upgrade all around. my buddy owns a professional machine shop and has slotted rotors on corvettes for almost 10years now, and we are going to do mine...anyways, i have recently gotten a hold of a full set of brake parts, so i am going on with my intentions to do slotted brakes front and rear, however i am putting the second set of front brakes on the rear as well, meaning all 4 corners will brake well now. i have been pondering this for the past two years, the only two questions i have are what should i do for mounting the calipers on the rear? and should the brake booster be able to support this in stock form?
Old 10-11-2006, 06:44 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Pure_Insanity8 Send a message via AIM to Pure_Insanity8
Not sure, but I think that it would throw off the braking bias... and that could be very bad.

SVX: '92 Dark Teal 101k

'97 Legacy GT Wagon: dead
'99 Civic Si: daily driver... stolen and stripped with all my tools!
'92 Yamaha FZR 600: garage
2011 Jetta: Daily disappointment
Old 10-11-2006, 07:01 PM
Own'eded

um... well its split power at the booster tho... i guess i can test it and see too!
Old 10-11-2006, 07:49 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by curly2k3
Well my brakes needed to be resurfaced/ changed anyways, so i am finally going to try what i have been meaning to do for the past 2 years now, upgrade all around. my buddy owns a professional machine shop and has slotted rotors on corvettes for almost 10years now, and we are going to do mine...anyways, i have recently gotten a hold of a full set of brake parts, so i am going on with my intentions to do slotted brakes front and rear, however i am putting the second set of front brakes on the rear as well, meaning all 4 corners will brake well now. i have been pondering this for the past two years, the only two questions i have are what should i do for mounting the calipers on the rear? and should the brake booster be able to support this in stock form?
The rear end of the car hasn't the weight to use the power of the front units. You would have to reduce the pressure to prevent lock up. So you might as well use less brake at the rear.

No hand brake either.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:02 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
If I'm not mistaken Aussie SVXs have vented rear rotors and bigger caliapers. Mabey someone can hook you up with a setup like that
Old 10-11-2006, 08:39 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael
If I'm not mistaken Aussie SVXs have vented rear rotors and bigger caliapers. Mabey someone can hook you up with a setup like that
Yes Michael, you are mistaken, we didn't get them I think it was just the JDM and UK that got the vented rear discs.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:16 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au
Yes Michael, you are mistaken, we didn't get them I think it was just the JDM and UK that got the vented rear discs.

Harvey.
MINE ALSO

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:28 AM
A flight-less flyer

Send a message via Yahoo to floatingkiwi
Quote:

Harvey.
I've got them! hehe

Actually, I didn't know there was a difference. I hope the race concepts rears that are waiting for me at home will fit! argghh

Just Crusin'
Old 10-12-2006, 10:45 AM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
If they are solid I will trade you caliapers
Old 10-12-2006, 12:28 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
I believe the rear vented discs use the same diameter disc, same mounting setup, same parking brake setup, same size piston, just a deeper caliper to accommodate the wider rotor.

As for matching calipers front and rear, you would have to remove the stock proportioning valve and replace it with an adjustable one. Too much rear brake power would throw the back end around when you try to stop. Technically, the ABS will kick in and control it, but it will still be an unstable stop.

What I want do when I have spare money is to replace the brakes with a Wilwood Powerlite or similar setup. 4 piston calipers up front and 2 piston in the rears with the parking brake hats. That would be mated to a custom proportioning valve and a larger master cylinder to prevent excessive pedal travel during braking.

I believe the stock wheels will hold a 12.19" rotor, but Its been a few years since I looked at the specs to remember for sure.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 10-12-2006, 12:47 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
The rear end of the car hasn't the weight to use the power of the front units. You would have to reduce the pressure to prevent lock up. So you might as well use less brake at the rear.

No hand brake either.

Harvey.
Harvey is on the right track here. The rear of our race car will actually lift off the ground and skip under too hard of braking. NOT A VERY COMFORTING THING! Closest thing I can relate it to is hard front braking on a cycle if that helps fill ya in on the lack of control you'll have. Best advice would be to change your fluid on a regular basis and use decent quality pads and solid rotors for street feel and braking strength, unless you wanna get into the biasing of the brakes which with abs would be quite tricky and honestly I don't think it'll work out the way you want it too in the long run. The SVX had VERY good brakes for its time. Sure they are prone to fade but for normal driving you're still braking faster than 1/2 the vehicles made today from 70 so long as your system is in good shape and your tires are same quality as oems

The threshold for caliper and bracket space is 13.1 at their current location.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:57 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
The threshold for caliper and bracket space is 13.1 at their current location.
Thanks. I will dig out my old brake spreadsheet and add that detail to it.
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 10-12-2006, 02:17 PM
Own'eded

yeah i knew i would be in need of an adjustable proprtioning valve, me and my father are each in need of one, his for the streetrod. intresting thought about the race car tho, as i plan to auto-x this ALOT next season, what are you running for all of your brakes on the race car? did you keep the ABS? Are you running a different proportioning valve?
Old 10-12-2006, 04:37 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly2k3
yeah i knew i would be in need of an adjustable proprtioning valve, me and my father are each in need of one, his for the streetrod. intresting thought about the race car tho, as i plan to auto-x this ALOT next season, what are you running for all of your brakes on the race car? did you keep the ABS? Are you running a different proportioning valve?
Advance auto specials in the rear, axis pads up front. OEM rotors that WE CAN'T WARP! Oh we've sheared a rear caliper from heat as well so they're getting warm. No proportioning valve as it doesn't fit into grassroots budget and our season is over aside from that. Next year we'll have 2 as the brakes are diagonal and need to be diag for racing.

Doug, check out our posting about wheels under the oz set up. It gives the specs needed for tires and what will fit etc.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:45 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Curley,
I run a "stock" SVX in autocross (G STOCK class), and I use the stock rotors with AXXIS semi-metalic pads, front and rear. No problems at all, and as BENEBOB says, the SVX stock brakes were excellent when made ('92 thru '97), and even today, the brakes are better than most, especially with the AXXIS pads. For autocross, I would not go to the expense and trouble to change anything but the pads. When I run track events, I do, however, change the rotors to drilled and slotted due to the better heat disipation.

Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx