Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects

Old 10-01-2006, 10:34 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Exhaust manifold adapting/fabricating for turbo conversion...

Thinking too much today...

Anyhoo. Should I be able to adapt something like this, (EJ20/22 Turbo exhaust manifold/header):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subar...QQcmdZViewItem

for the SVX, by adding the third tube on each side, and merging it into one of the other pipes from the same side of the engine? So that the 1/3 and 4/6 would 'share' the same pipe to the turbo.

Will it put the turbo in the right place for the EG33?

Or should I just start from scratch if I go turbo?

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 10-02-2006, 03:17 PM

Turbo Dreams

I think if I had it all to do over again I would do twins located in the front bumpers. Problem is finding a custom bumper to fit them......no wait......your the bumper guy! I think that would be a nice setup. Take cold air directly from front vents, like porsche. Run directly to a two opening front mount. Cut the crap out of the bumper and run true twin intakes back to the manifold. You could match them at the intake so they have balance.

Back to the upipe. Running three pipes directly to the up-pipe connection of the turbo would probably give you the best turbo response.

Just think about getting the turbos high enough so that oil can gravity freely to the pan. You are going to need to install a filter sandwitch for oil to the turbos. While your at it you should do an oil cooler. Then if you want to do something about engine management, you should see if LAN can tune your car for you. You could start out with with his stage 3 map. You will also need some fuel injectors. You could go with stock 95' 96' Nissan 300 zx turbo injectors or the Q85 injectors (same thing).

What are you doing about your tranny?

Have fun

Chuck D.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Decisions decisions...

I suppose there are a lot of ways to make this happen..I'll just have to take a closer look at it all. I still have my GM 3800 Supercharger sitting around too, so I could go that route...

I think putting them in the bumper area will require an extra sump pump for the drain oil, but they are available out there.

Then management..I think I'd probably go w/ the megasquirt, as I already made one for my former XT turbo. It can run ignition and fuel. I'd leave the factory ECU to run all the other stuff though.

I think I'll just run the 4.444 4EAT until it blows up, then get another one, or go 5/6 mt.

Oh well back to thinking....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdigerlando
I think if I had it all to do over again I would do twins located in the front bumpers. Problem is finding a custom bumper to fit them......no wait......your the bumper guy! I think that would be a nice setup. Take cold air directly from front vents, like porsche. Run directly to a two opening front mount. Cut the crap out of the bumper and run true twin intakes back to the manifold. You could match them at the intake so they have balance.

Back to the upipe. Running three pipes directly to the up-pipe connection of the turbo would probably give you the best turbo response.

Just think about getting the turbos high enough so that oil can gravity freely to the pan. You are going to need to install a filter sandwitch for oil to the turbos. While your at it you should do an oil cooler. Then if you want to do something about engine management, you should see if LAN can tune your car for you. You could start out with with his stage 3 map. You will also need some fuel injectors. You could go with stock 95' 96' Nissan 300 zx turbo injectors or the Q85 injectors (same thing).

What are you doing about your tranny?

Have fun

Chuck D.

Old 10-02-2006, 06:24 PM

[QUOTE=Stevebsy]I'd leave the factory ECU to run all the other stuff though.

/QUOTE]

Bad idea. You need to change the timing maps. You should follow my thread on timing and look at page 42 under the supercharger section. The car needs more timing to run boost or the EGTs go through the roof. Go figure. Read up and let me know what you think.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:39 PM
Administrator

Not a problem, the new version of the Megasquirt can control ignition and fuel, so the factory ECU will just run the cruise, wipers, fans, etc.. non-engine stuff.

[QUOTE=cdigerlando]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevebsy
I'd leave the factory ECU to run all the other stuff though.

/QUOTE]

Bad idea. You need to change the timing maps. You should follow my thread on timing and look at page 42 under the supercharger section. The car needs more timing to run boost or the EGTs go through the roof. Go figure. Read up and let me know what you think.

Old 10-03-2006, 05:33 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
There is no way that manifold will work. Its not where you need to be, not even close. its ground up or nothing.
phil
Old 10-03-2006, 09:07 AM

Ground up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phast SVX
There is no way that manifold will work. Its not where you need to be, not even close. its ground up or nothing.
phil
What do you mean?
Old 10-03-2006, 12:16 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
start from the ground(point zero) and work your way up... Just using a phrase to start from scratch

tom
Old 10-03-2006, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
start from the ground(point zero) and work your way up... Just using a phrase to start from scratch

tom
I see what you mean. Yes. Ground up is better. Sorry. I was pretty tired.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: