Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Body Modifications
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2006, 07:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to zavikan
JDM, no..>European!!! parts aquisition (SVX, around the world in 60 days)

OK! Working my way around the world for all the rare and ellusive SVX parts that I won't be able to buy later in life. Now I'm looking for the lovely Glass Headlights and interior leveler switch/squirter switch assemblies. Doing some searching, It looks highly unlikely to aquire these. Surely if you throw enough money at the problem, they ARE aquirable. Its just from where... Can anyone here show me where I should throw the money? (that is, in exchange for aforementioned parts, not for your amusement )
'92 Liquid Silver SVX - Drilled&Slotted Rotors/Canadian OEM Seat Warmers/JDM Folding Mirrors/JDM Clear Corners/Euro Glass Headlights/Euro Headlight Level Adjustment/Euro Shifter Assembly/ECUTune Chip V.1/GARAGE QUEEN!
Old 08-28-2006, 09:02 AM
Phil & Belha

SVXes are a lot more rare here than in the US. So it won't be easy to find parts at a breaker.

If you want to get new parts from a dealer, try Bell & Colvill. They are one of the few UK dealers that show any interest in the SVX. Bear in mind that parts here are a lot more expensive than in the USA.

http://www.bell-colvill.co.uk
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 08-28-2006, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by zavikan
Now I'm looking for the lovely Glass Headlights and interior leveler switch/squirter switch assemblies.
This has been covered back years ago in this thread:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ass+headlights

I was in contact with dealers and people in Germany about these. They are still available,
but they do not ship from Germany to the US. They said that they could be purchase
ocally by an American (tourist, soldier) and brought back.The VAT would still have to be paid,
but a refund could be applied for.

Here are the current prices and part nunbers:

84001PA090 for the left headlight assembly (€ 388,09) $496.00USD
84001PA080 for the right headlight assembly (€ 388,09) $496.00USD

$992.00 + 16.5%VAT ($164.00) = $1160.34USD, plus shipping
That's over a thousand dollars for headlights!!

The headlight leveler switch is part number is 83015PA010. Not sure of the price.

Looking at the thread, you will see that the German headlights do not use our 9005/9006 bulbs,
but rather H3/H4, and they have NO fog lights in the assemblies.

The easiest thing to do would be buy the complete German assemblies and swap just the glass lenses
into our lens bodies... that way you would not need the leveling switch. Maybe the bulb holder
that fits into the back of our headlight assemblies is the same for the H3/H4 and the 9005/9006 bulbs.
That way its just plug n' play. but

one of the possible problems with that is the glass lenses may be significantly thicker than our plastic
lenses and not fit onto our plastic assemblies.

Here is a link to a German SVX Promo video which shows a close-up of the glass headlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37so9...elated&search=.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 08-29-2006 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:11 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
John,
Interesting pic of the shifter....has anyone done any research into the "econ/power" button on the shifter? Did it call up a different "map" in the ECU and/or TCU for each setting? With everything that LAN has done on the ECU side of things, it would be nice to find something similar on the TCU side (i.e., it would be nice to raise the shift point for the 4HEAT )
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 08-28-2006, 01:11 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
wow!!!!!!!! That is a hot pic of the center console. I never knew such things were even optional for the SVX even overseas. Stinkin' Germans always get the best of everything.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 08-28-2006, 02:57 PM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
John,
Interesting pic of the shifter....has anyone done any research into the "econ/power" button on the shifter? Did it call up a different "map" in the ECU and/or TCU for each setting? With everything that LAN has done on the ECU side of things, it would be nice to find something similar on the TCU side (i.e., it would be nice to raise the shift point for the 4HEAT )
-Bill
The econ switch connects pin a4 of the TCU to ground. This signals the TCU to use the economy shift map. I believe it lowers the shift points. There has been some discussion about whether the Euro cars have 3 shift maps: Econ, Normal and Power because the power light does come on when you kick down hard - which seems to suggest that the car is not already in power mode when the switch is out.

JDM cars switch to power mode when you ground pin a4 of the TCU. From looking at the pictures and wiring diagrams I believe that all the TCUs are the same hardware but different software.

Nobody knows what happens when you ground pin a4 on a USA SVX. Try it and find out if your shift points change.

The electric antenna button is necessary because the Euro model has an inferior stereo without a connection for the antenna motor. There are no tweeters and no twin-antenna diversity system, even though both antennas are fitted, only one is wired.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
Old 08-29-2006, 06:44 AM

Don't steal my thread.

See Title....moving on...

Ok, there are UK, German, and Aussie glass headlights...

Some dip right or left, but that last post said that should be easy to interchange. Some don't have foglights (do any?) Some have funny glowy parking light built in. And some have an adjuster on the interior of the vehicle.

As for the difference in H3 an H4 bulbs, those are certainly easy to aquire anywhere. Many VWs use them here in the US. Volvo too I think. They aren't inferior bulbs, are they?

Germans have the adjuster, do the aussies? UK? Would wiring them to operate be a massive problem?
'92 Liquid Silver SVX - Drilled&Slotted Rotors/Canadian OEM Seat Warmers/JDM Folding Mirrors/JDM Clear Corners/Euro Glass Headlights/Euro Headlight Level Adjustment/Euro Shifter Assembly/ECUTune Chip V.1/GARAGE QUEEN!
Old 08-29-2006, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by zavikan
See Title....moving on...

Ok, there are UK, German, and Aussie glass headlights...

Some dip right or left, but that last post said that should be easy to interchange. Some don't have foglights (do any?) Some have funny glowy parking light built in. And some have an adjuster on the interior of the vehicle.

As for the difference in H3 an H4 bulbs, those are certainly easy to aquire anywhere. Many VWs use them here in the US. Volvo too I think. They aren't inferior bulbs, are they?

Germans have the adjuster, do the aussies? UK? Would wiring them to operate be a massive problem?
Looking closely at my SVX brochures from around the world, this is all I can find at the moment.

Germany
....Headlights: glass
....Integrated foglights: no
....Beam pattern: same as US-spec
....Bulbs: H3/H4
....Leveling adjustment on console: yes
....Parking lights in headlight housing:

United Kingdom
....Headlights: Polycarbonate (?)
....Beam pattern: Opposite
....Bulbs:
....Parking lights in headlight housing: yes

Australia
....Integrated foglights:
....Bulbs:
....Leveling adjustment on console:

Japan
....Bulbs:
....Leveling adjustment on console: no

Please fill in the blanks or edit any incorrect information listed.

As far as the H3/H4 bulbs go, they have been around a long time and used without problems. A lot of newer cars use them, and the newer H-7's as well. This shouldn't be a cause for concern (remember, our fog light bulbs are the H-3).

As for the wiring I am not sure how difficult this would be. The headlights (UK/Germany) have a small motor built into them that moves the reflector in response to the switch on the console. That is why they are so expensive.

The way I understand it is the reason for the adjustment is to adjust the beam downward when carrying rear seat passengers and a loaded trunk. ) is the normal default position, 3 is for fully loaded, and 1-2 are inbetween. Maybe one of our English/German members could elaborate on this further as it should be explained in their owner's manual.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 08-29-2006 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:15 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess
Looking closely at my SVX brochures from around the world, this is all I can find at the moment.

Germany
....Beam pattern: LHD

United Kingdom
....Beam pattern: RHD

Australia
....Leveling adjustment on console:

Japan
....Headlights: Polycarbonate
....Integrated foglights: yes
....Parking lights in headlight housing:yes

Please fill in the blanks or edit any incorrect information listed.

As far as the H3/H4 bulbs go, they have been around a long time and used without problems. A lot of newer cars use them, and the newer H-7's as well. This shouldn't be a cause for concern (remember, our fog light bulbs are the H-3).

As for the wiring I am not sure how difficult this would be. The headlights (UK/Germany) have a small motor built into them that moves the reflector in response to the switch on the console. That is why they are so expensive.

The way I understand it is the reason for the adjustment is to adjust the beam downward when carrying rear seat passengers and a loaded trunk. ) is the normal default position, 3 is for fully loaded, and 1-2 are inbetween. Maybe one of our English/German members could elaborate on this further as it should be explained in their owner's manual. CORRECT.
UK and JDM answers above. I think the Euro, UK and Aussie SVXes are all essentially the same except that the Euro cars have LHD beam pattern.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II

Last edited by b3lha; 08-29-2006 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:20 AM

thnx john for the categorizing

mmm, exactly what I was asking .....*sniff*... I just want to take this moment to thank absolutely everyone in the SVX network for being awesome people, and especially those crazy few dedicated ones who know so much extranious information about this car, who are willing to come on here and post it to people like me.........
Old 08-29-2006, 01:57 PM

Registered SVX
I have both JDM and Aust delivered headlights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess
Australia
....Headlights: Glass
....Integrated foglights: No
....Beam pattern: Opposite RHD
....Bulbs: H1 low beam H3 high beam
....Leveling adjustment on console: No

Japan
....Headlights: Polycarbonate yes
....Bulbs: H1 low, H3 High and H3 Fog
....Parking lights in headlight housing: Yes
Old 08-29-2006, 05:26 PM

A safe place for this?

I think it would be nice to hold onto this listing someplace for everyone. I'm saving it to file, but eventually, this posting will go ancient, and no one will remember, and once again the same questions will be asked. Thanks John for starting the list

Germany
....Beam pattern: LHD

United Kingdom

Australia
....Headlights: Glass
....Integrated foglights: No
....Bulbs: H1/H3
....Parking lights in headlight housing:Yes

Japan
....Headlights: Polycarbonate
....Bulbs: H1/H3
....Parking lights in headlight housing:yes
Old 08-29-2006, 05:29 PM

Registered SVX
UK and Germany use H4 globes...they must not have the projector low beam headlights do they?

H4's would not work with projector lenses.

Matt
Old 08-30-2006, 12:58 AM
check out www.planetsvx.com

I have a set of the UK headlights in my pewter car
have had them for about 2 yrs now.
Installed a set of aftermarket nice 5000k HIDs in them
too.
It took some wiring to get them properly installed
adding some relays etc.
Got a 3 way cockpit adjustment switch from a new
Infinity Q45 and installed it by my cd player.
My city lite isnt connected, but was thinking about
putting an LED in it and hooking that to the factory
alarm.
No fogs, dont really need them anyway (esp in Az)
The pattern has never been an issue, looks to me
just like driving one of my other US model Svxs.
At least the glass holds up better then the plastic thats
for sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg billet4.jpg (68.6 KB, 236 views)

CLICK the LINK below to Visit the SVX Store:

http://www.planetsvx.com

http://www.motorsportwarehouse.com/svx/sig2.jpg

Cars in the garage:
92 Toyota Soarer Single Turbo JDM RHD
70 Boss 302 Mustang 39k original miles
97 SVX Lsi
92 Liquid Silver Murano-ized (1st of its kind)
71 Cougar Xr7 Conv 351c 4v 4spd
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
89 Conquest TSi w/ 5.0 v8 swap
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

"good, if it bleeds, we can kill it ....."
Old 08-30-2006, 03:20 AM
Phil & Belha

FYI: The rear alcyone center light mentioned in your PM comes in two flavours. Sorry about the crappy photos, I've only got a toy camera at the moment.

No, I don't want to sell mine.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II

Last edited by b3lha; 08-30-2006 at 04:37 AM.