Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-18-2006, 10:07 PM

Front / Rear Suspension Overhaul?

After almost 120k miles, I think it is time for the front and rear struts to be replaced on my SVX. It is really starting to ride bumpy and rough to the point where its getting annoying. I was wondering what recommendations people could make to any other suspension work that could / should be done while the strut work gets done? I was planning on replacing the springs at the same time since they have to come off anyway. So, besides the struts and springs, is there anything else worth doing?

Any input is appreciated!

1996 Subaru SVX LSi (Red)
2019 Subaru WRX LTD
Old 02-18-2006, 11:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx
i would say if its all stock that your front sway bar bushings are probably toast and could use replacing along with possibly the rear and more than likely the rear diff bushings. just some things to check while your down there. also check the condition of the boots on the axles as well.

Last edited by want-a-fast-svx; 02-19-2006 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:02 AM

Check the ball joints. Mine were shot at that mileage. They're $50 each and easy to replace.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:58 AM
suvsareretarded

If it's ever been driven in salty weather, your rear strut mounts are probably toast. They're kinda pricey, but the improvement in ride, reduction in noise, and confidence that a key suspension componenet isn't going to fail is worth it.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:52 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
At this point, you should ask yourself your goals for this car. Do you want a luxury cruiser, or do you want sportier ride and handling? There are a lot of threads about suspension upgrades, If you want to go the sportier route, spring upgrades using stock strut mounts are available from Dayle (Motorsports Warehouse) or Mychailo. For an even stiffer ride, Ground Control coilovers with Eibach springs are an option. The Ground Controls require both strut alteration and upgrade to Koni shocks. As part of the pursuit of a sportier ride, replacement of the stock elastomeric swaybar bushings with urethane bushings is also effective. Depending upon whether you do your own install or not, the complete upgrade to the sportiest configuration could cost between $1500-2500.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 02-19-2006, 12:52 PM
Maniac modifier

Have you thought about upgrading the struts? Maybe picking up a set of coilovers? I mean with all the dough you can spend on getting 10yr old OEM equiptment you could spend a little more and get a more reliable better handling car

Tom

Edit: Dan, beat me to it eh??
Old 02-24-2006, 12:08 PM

Tom,

I saw that you were offering mechanical assistance for club members. I don't know if you are still looking to do that, but a lot of this kind of work goes right over my head. If you are equipped to do this kind of work in your shop, would you be interested? (For a price, of course!) Let's say that at this point I was going to change out the following:

- Ball Joints
- Bushings on Front, Rear, and Diff
- Struts / Springs

I had broken a rear spring a few months back, so the rear springs and strut mounts have already been replaced. So, it would be the front struts / springs and rear struts. Let's assume I provided all the parts myself, what would you charge for this kind of work?

1996 Subaru SVX LSi (Red)
2019 Subaru WRX LTD
Old 02-24-2006, 11:56 PM
Maniac modifier

well it is hard to say. Having never had the diff bushings out or had the need to remove them, I would have to take a look into that a little closer. The rest is pretty simple and would not take too long

Tom
Old 02-25-2006, 07:05 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Mind me asking how you broke a rear spring?
Be careful about replacing the struts with replacement Showa struts from Subaru...there's a thread or two on the site about "new" struts leaking after less than 1k miles (speaking from experience ). You might want to consider going the Koni insert route...
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 02-27-2006, 10:00 AM

What springs should I use if I were to go /w the Koni struts? How likely is it the diff bushings need replacing? If it isn't something that is done commonly, maybe i don't need them changed.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:48 AM
Maniac modifier

If you are looking to keep a relatively smooth ride I would contact mychailo about his springs. I fyou are looking for a sporty ride, might want to consider the Ground control coilovers. There is a laundry list of parts needed if you want to use springs but if you want to use coilovers, these parts are not necessary.. The rear diff bushings should not need to be replaced unless they have become exposed to oil.

Tom
Old 02-27-2006, 11:21 AM

Does anyone know what your average set of coilovers costs? This sounds like a better option, as less parts are involved.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:37 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrydan
Does anyone know what your average set of coilovers costs? This sounds like a better option, as less parts are involved.
Pretty much the same types of parts are involved for either a coilover setup or running with new OEM struts and strut springs. As SGS said, its more a matter of what type of ride you want. And its also how much money you want to spend. New OEM struts and new strut springs (OEM or aftermarket) will set you back about $900. Depending on what springs you go with, you can have a completely stock ride or something that is sportier but not a drastic change in ride quality. The minimum cost of a coilover setup is $1100. If you want a really nice coilover setup, its closer to $1400-$1500. Here you are looking at a much sportier ride with a much different ride quality. Not a bad ride quality, but much firmer than how a stock SVX feels. It would be more on par with the ride quality of an STi or an Evo.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:38 AM
Maniac modifier

$400 plus shipping from GC. The konis are $640 approximately. If your strut mounts are good then that is all you need. If they are bad, then you will need new ones. I also believe you get a lifetime warranty with the konis.

Tom
Old 02-28-2006, 10:36 AM

I'm sorry... what is GC?