Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-16-2005, 03:20 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlywhites1992
...so putting my car on a lift, and putting it in Drive, will answer
my question?
No Tim, you will find that the rear wheels will drive on the lift, due to the transfer clutch drag, but won't drive on the ground.
You should get no front wheel spin, the TCU will engauge the rear wheels as soon as there is a difference in front/rear wheel speed.
As you have front wheel spin, the transfer clutch is not engauging, and I would suspect the C solenoid/transfer valve assemble.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:36 PM
Pearlywhites1992

Thanks Harvey!
How's the weather?
Old 11-16-2005, 05:14 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Thanks Harvey!
How's the weather?
The summer wet is due, along with the hail storms, so the SVX stays in and the sacrificial Liberty does the work.

Harvey.

Old 11-16-2005, 05:44 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Ok I admit I was doing 78-79ish. Soon as I hit 80 I could feel the wheels start to slip, and I slowed to about 70 on curves.

But today I know two things, I have plenty front wheel spin, and plenty more rear wheel drive correction out of slippery turns. I used it not but 15 minutes ago and felt my rear wheels help push me along.

I am in no way saying that what is being recommended is wrong, in fact I put more stark in what Harvey says than almost anyone, but just going off the assumpting of spinning or not spinning wheels is very misleading.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:44 AM
Pearlywhites1992

but just going off the assumpting of spinning or not spinning wheels is very misleading.

OK, now I'm back to square one. AFTER I figure out for sure that my AWD isn't working...should I first do the Solenoid C, or the clutch pack....
or both? Help!
Old 11-17-2005, 11:53 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Definitely both.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:56 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Nick proberly has more experence of wheel spin, up there in the snow. My SVX doesn't have this type of AWD, so I can only go off book as to how it works. Maybe Nicks car has some delay in the transfer operation, as I am sure that there should be no front wheel spin.

Harvey.

Old 11-17-2005, 05:44 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
from what I understand the SVX is prone to have momentary front wheel spin and then in 1 or 2 seconds the rear will gradually engage as not to shock the driveline...at least this is my understanding...also my reason to stay away....FAR FAR away from automatics

Tom
Old 11-17-2005, 05:51 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
from what I understand the SVX is prone to have momentary front wheel spin and then in 1 or 2 seconds the rear will gradually engage as not to shock the driveline...at least this is my understanding...also my reason to stay away....FAR FAR away from automatics
That's common...but not normal.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:03 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
OK, now I'm back to square one. AFTER I figure out for sure that my AWD isn't working...should I first do the Solenoid C, or the clutch pack....
or both? Help!
Let me put this for you into my POV.

The US recieved the less sophiticated of two AWD drivetrains. Front wheel spin should be plenty more common in our vehicles.

BUT, a great majority of SVX owners on this site, myself included, bought the car used, and given the history of this car overall it is probable the components recommonded here are at the very least slightly worn, and due for a change.

I myself am unsure of the condition of my solenoid and whatever because the transmission shop where I had my tranny overhauled was very clear that they only dealt with transmission related issues and not the various things connected to them ie differentials, what have you.

So in short, I won't rest until I have replaced every faulty thing on my car and given the great possibility things other than the transmission were damaged during my romping days when I bought the car, and regardless of the apparent semi-flawless operation of my AWD, I am going to replace everything in time merely to be sound of mind. (:

So my advice to you is replace those things, the C solenoid/transfer valve assembly.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:57 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
My vote goes to either duty solenoid C or the clutch packs. I've never heard of the valve assembly going out. It's usually that the solenoid shorts or the clutch pack gets worn out. Both can be done on the car, but it's a pita.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 11-17-2005, 06:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
I bought my SVX new and it exhibited no front wheel spin or 1-2 second delay when punching the gas in low traction or snow. In fact even after 13 years, mine still engages immediately. Though it did have the tranny replaced back in 94 or 95 and the transfer case rebuilt in 98. In any case as Earthworm put it, it may be common now, but definitely not normal.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S.
Let me put this for you into my POV.

The US recieved the less sophiticated of two AWD drivetrains. Front wheel spin should be plenty more common in our vehicles.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:42 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
but just going off the assumpting of spinning or not spinning wheels is very misleading.

or both? Help!
Yes the rear housing comes off, and the C solenoid/transfer valve assemble, is in it, The transfer clutch is on the back of the output shaft. So you do both together. Cost about $400 here in Australia.

Harvey.

Old 11-17-2005, 07:48 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
I still wouldn't be totally surprised that the output shaft basket(one without clutches) sheered off... I mean yeah, its uncommon but the silver's old trans had that happen to it... Just my $.02

Tom
Old 11-17-2005, 08:05 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius
My vote goes to either duty solenoid C or the clutch packs. I've never heard of the valve assembly going out. It's usually that the solenoid shorts or the clutch pack gets worn out. Both can be done on the car, but it's a pita.
Well the C solenoid fault will post a code, and worn out clutch, both stop the rear drive. A lot of the time, it is binding that happens, that is not caused by either.
The transfer valve assemble has two valves in it, a pressure regulator valve, that the C solenoid modulates to operate the transfer valve, which applies line pressure to the clutch.

I think the problem is that in the SVX, the valves don't get a lot of use, the car is mostly driven on long straight roads. So the valves sit in the one position, to sludge stick in that spot. Till the time comes that it is called to operate the clutch, so moves into the sludge bit to stay there.

Nick and all the other Northeners, excercise there valves regularly. So as I have said before, get to spin the wheels on some grass every now and again.

This applies to the Euro AWD too, as the Limited Slip clutch operates the same way.

Harvey.