How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 09:48 AM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

looks nice. i'll let him know and we'll go check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd
Agreed. You can get a fully loaded M45 for ~49K which is about 10K cheaper than its competition.

This is a good review on the new M45 by freshalloy:

http://www.freshalloy.com/site/cars/...6/m45/home.asp

The lines of the new M45 are supremely sexy and the quality of materials is definitely on par with offerings from Lexus, Acura, BMW and Mercedes.

-Chike
Old 07-11-2005, 10:01 AM

yeah, that's the impression i got from some other people i know who currently owns benz's. the dude buying the car already has a 2002, but he's tired of taking it to the stealership to get these little 'quirks' fixed. he's wants to get rid of it, but obviously his wife doesn't. <shrug> oh well.

sure the work done is under warranty, but hell, do you really want to frequent a stealership when you shouldn't have to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
many reviews say the CTS-V feels kinda cheap, and after sticking my head in one while shopping for cars a couple months ago, i'd say the interior looks a little cheap, too. if the guy is looking for a luxury sedan for his wife, she probably isn't interested in lighting up the tires at redlights anyways (but i could be wrong.)

i'd stay away from Mercedes, too. my stepdad's S-class has been to the dealer alot lately for misc. problems. they have some quality issues - MB says they will put renewed effort into quality control, but i'd wait to see proof of that. Chrysler must have sent some extra gremlins over to MB during the merger.

so the M45 gets my vote for the guy's wife. if i had $55k to spend on a car, i don't know what the hell i'd get - it would be a fun decision, though.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:13 AM

Yeah, I passed that point to his wife, but as you know, some women just won't listen.

It's funny you mentioned that, she actually wanted to get another Rover (they have one now) and my buddy flew off the handle. They've had nothing but problems ever since they bought that Rover. Sure it rides ok at times, but talk about a high maintanence car. He told her that they were going to keep that Rover until the panels fall off (he's also pissed about the depreciation of the vehicle).

It's a shame that she won't change her mind. I agree a subaru would be a nice addition. You know what's funny? My friend like myself, really aren't interested in cars. He drives a 1998 Dodge 1500 Quadcab. She drives the Benz and Rover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subafreak
Well I think Infinity, Lex, and Acura are a lot less inbred than MB, or Jag. I mean really, ones a Ford and ones a Chrysler now. I laugh at the really stupid people who buy Volvos, Saabs, and Rovers for prestige

Your decision should really come down to how much money you want to spend maintaining and reparing the car after you buy it. Once the warranty is up, you could be getting shocked at the prices to keep those "luxury" cars going. Alot of the "Euro" cars require special tools and scanners to work on that your average repair shop isn't gonna have. So you will need to take them to specialty shops that will probly cost you just as much a servicing it at a stealership........and with the current reliability of Euro cars, you will probly to have it serviced alot.

Stick with an Infinity or a Lex (even thoe most of the Lex designs are BLA right now). Or even better, just tell his wife to get over the image thing and get a reliable, fun to drive, easy to service SUBARU!
Old 07-11-2005, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee
I'll throw my $0.02 in....

For luxury in the plush arena it's Lexus, and for Luxury with a sportier twist it's Acura...no other car (that I know about) has as low a cost of ownership (depreciation, insurance, etc.) and reasonable reliability (which is where BMW and Mercedes are failing).

FYI, I currently hold title to an Acura and a Lexus, and am a prior owner of an S-class Mercedes. Brother-in-law works for a BMW dealer and encouraged me to look elsewhere -- if I expected the reliability I've gotten used to from the Toyota, Honda & Fuji companies.
Which make would you say is better and which would your wife prefer? What models did you purchase from Lexus and Acura?
Old 07-11-2005, 10:59 AM
Phil & Belha

Are you talking about the British Rover? In Britain they are only bought by people who have a misplaced sense of patriotism and refuse to buy foreign.

The biggest problem is that Rover's management seemed able to fool themselves into thinking they made quality cars equivalent to Jaguar, BMW and Mercedes, but actually they were more like Kia and Hyundai.

It's little wonder they went bankrupt, pity it didn't happen sooner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir
Yeah, I passed that point to his wife, but as you know, some women just won't listen.

It's funny you mentioned that, she actually wanted to get another Rover (they have one now) and my buddy flew off the handle. They've had nothing but problems ever since they bought that Rover. Sure it rides ok at times, but talk about a high maintanence car. He told her that they were going to keep that Rover until the panels fall off (he's also pissed about the depreciation of the vehicle).

It's a shame that she won't change her mind. I agree a subaru would be a nice addition. You know what's funny? My friend like myself, really aren't interested in cars. He drives a 1998 Dodge 1500 Quadcab. She drives the Benz and Rover.

Last edited by b3lha; 07-11-2005 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha
Are you talking about the British Rover? In Britain they are only bought by people who have a misplaced sense of patriotism and refuse to buy foreign.

The biggest problem is that Rover's management seemed able to fool themselves into thinking they made quality cars equivalent to Jaguar, BMW and Mercedes, but actually they were more like Kia and Hyundai.

yep, range rover.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:08 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Rover

Hi Harry, I think Phil was talking about "Rover" the car Co. They went belly up recently in the UK. I think you were talking about "Range Rover" which is owned by Ford Motor Co.,and makes SUVs. However your friend may have had a Range Rover from when they were made by Rover. In the interim BMW had their Paw in the mix. BMW sold the Rover part to some guys for, and I'm not kidding, about twelve dollars US. Take care, BOBB
Old 07-11-2005, 02:00 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha

You mean kinda like Ford and GM cars here in the states? Oh right you said they were more like Kia and Hyundai. Haven't driven a GM or Ford car that was as good as the new Koreans.

Its definately a shame that Rover the last vestiges of a once mighty industry for Britain is done. Well, actually, I'd say it'll be Rover of China in about 3 years. Even though the last one I drove was pretty bad (Sterling 8 something) it was still kinda cool in that British fall apart fashion. Amazing they were able to screw up a bulletproof platform (sans Acura Legand gen 1) they should've won a prize for that one!
Old 07-11-2005, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb
Hi Harry, I think Phil was talking about "Rover" the car Co. They went belly up recently in the UK. I think you were talking about "Range Rover" which is owned by Ford Motor Co.,and makes SUVs. However your friend may have had a Range Rover from when they were made by Rover. In the interim BMW had their Paw in the mix. BMW sold the Rover part to some guys for, and I'm not kidding, about twelve dollars US. Take care, BOBB
wow, that goes to show how much i know about cars. very interesting indeed. thanks for the info!
Old 07-11-2005, 04:10 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir
wow, that goes to show how much i know about cars. very interesting indeed. thanks for the info!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg funny_food.jpg (33.8 KB, 77 views)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954
Old 07-11-2005, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
hee haw, hee haw, hee haw
Old 07-11-2005, 05:27 PM
Certified Porschephile

There's nothing wrong with an Infinity. From what I see, they are popping up everywhere. The G is a killer, and the M has had wonderful reviews. The next Skyline GT-R is coming here; as an Infinity. Lexus may ride nicer, but I'm not 60 years old yet. I love BMW, especially since my family hails from outside Munich, but they look horrible anymore. Mercedes is just getting itself back on track after wasting all that money on Chrysler and Mitsubishi. Jaguars are either actual fords under the skin (X-Type is a Mondeo) or they use ford parts. We all know here what happened to SAAB. Acura is only available with a V-6 and until recently, FWD, which is far from an enthusiast type layout. With all the options here, a M35 or 45 is the best choice.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_SVX
There's nothing wrong with an Infinity. From what I see, they are popping up everywhere. The G is a killer, and the M has had wonderful reviews. The next Skyline GT-R is coming here; as an Infinity. Lexus may ride nicer, but I'm not 60 years old yet. I love BMW, especially since my family hails from outside Munich, but they look horrible anymore. Mercedes is just getting itself back on track after wasting all that money on Chrysler and Mitsubishi. Jaguars are either actual fords under the skin (X-Type is a Mondeo) or they use ford parts. We all know here what happened to SAAB. Acura is only available with a V-6 and until recently, FWD, which is far from an enthusiast type layout. With all the options here, a M35 or 45 is the best choice.
yeah, i think either a M or a Q will suit her needs. she's 55 and doesn't need a rocket. luxury, regular maintanence, and safe.

Which model infinity will be similiar to the skyline?

Last edited by Noir; 07-11-2005 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:50 PM
Certified Porschephile

Acording to most of what I read, the Skline will be an Infinity model in the US, So it'll be a 2007 Infinity Skyline GT-R on sale in early 2006. The current Infinity G35 coupe is very close to the Nissan Skyline for sale in Japan. The new GT-R is expected to offer a 500hp Twin Turbo V-6 and AWD.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:09 PM

Send a message via ICQ to freak customs Send a message via AIM to freak customs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd
In all seriousness though, the CTS-V and STS-V are some serious performance sedans and can match their German competitors in every way at the track!!!

-Chike

i agree with that one