Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Wheels / Tires

Old 07-07-2005, 12:31 PM
$1 is just $1, but $2 = nachos

MB Motorsports "Weapon" rims (aka A-Tech Erasors)

I'm not sure if anyone's tried these rims on an SVX yet. They're quickly getting popular w/ the Impreza crowd since the prices on Rotas have gone up so much.

They're the MB Motorsports "Weapons" (aka A-Tech "Erasors") from Discount Tire Direct (www.discounttiredirect.com) in Bronze and a 17x8+42 5x114.3 fitment. I was a little worried that the offset would be a touch too low, but when I was putting them on the car, they seem just right.

The tires are Falken Azenis ST-115 in 255/40ZR17. Usually the minimum width for a 255 tire is 8.5", but these run pretty narrow, so they seem to fit just fine on the 8" wide rims. Plus, they're like $10/tire *cheaper* than the 245's. Total price for the rims, tires, valve stems, lugs, wheel locks, mounting, balancing, tax, and shipping: $1026. Not bad... reminds me of the good old days when you could get rotas with tires for under $1200.

So far the wheels/tires seem like a really good match for the car. There's no balance issues, and they seem to have plenty of clearance, so no rubbing. Because the suspension and bushings on my SVX are so worn out, there are some wierd issues with the tires following the road... the car will sort of move left and right w/o any feedback in the steering. But that's something I noticed when I had EVO rims on the car for a weekend. Also, I think the lower profile tires are bouncing the rims around a bit on rough road since the suspension isn't stiff enough... also something I've noticed before, but that was when I had 18's on my WRX's stock suspension. But both issues are really minor compared to the much better looks and handling of the car, and will be fixed once I get some new struts (or perhaps some coilovers) on the car... which will also get rid of that awful front wheel gap.

More pics here.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:12 PM
ilsegretosvx

Thats funny I was just looking at them and wondering about the width being a prob. Now I know. If by some miracle you get a coilover setup to work on the SVX that is not a Koni GC let us know
Old 07-07-2005, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilsegretosvx
Thats funny I was just looking at them and wondering about the width being a prob. Now I know. If by some miracle you get a coilover setup to work on the SVX that is not a Koni GC let us know
Ironically, I'm getting a Koni/GC setup for my WRX (short-stroke, full race setup), so I'm going to have a set of JIC's left over. The shop that's doing a lot of work on my WRX (6-speed, STi motor, etc) also does a lot of work on SVXi, and they think we'll be able to use the JIC's coupled w/ modified stock top-mounts on the SVX. They think the big problem is going to be ensuring that the rear struts are long enough, but the JIC's have a ton of independent height adjustability, and we're hoping we can just stretch 'em out long enough to work.

...we'll never know unless we try!
Old 07-07-2005, 05:48 PM
ilsegretosvx

This is really funny because the JICs are the coilovers that I have been looking at to fit the SVX. I was thinkng of getting the ones for the Legacy. Very interested to see how the WRX ones work out
Old 07-09-2005, 01:01 AM
SVX Appeal

Those aren't too shabby. I like 'em. Good color choice too, in my opinion. It's not quite as golden as most bronze wheels are, but closer to the color of actual bronze - and brake dust. How much do they weigh?
Old 07-09-2005, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberRoo
Those aren't too shabby. I like 'em. Good color choice too, in my opinion. It's not quite as golden as most bronze wheels are, but closer to the color of actual bronze - and brake dust. How much do they weigh?
I don't know the actual weight, but they've got to be pretty heavy... I'd guess in the 20-25 lb range.

I agree about the color. Those rims also come in a gunmetal color that looks great, but on a red car, with the bronze-ish window tint and beige interior, the bronze rims are much nicer. And that color should be damn near exactly the same color as the dust from my Axxis Ultimate brake pads.