Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects

Old 06-17-2005, 08:02 PM
Back Road Blazer

Send a message via AIM to black beast
what would I have to do?

Ok guys I have found a turbo, that I think will work, It is from a guy that is thinking of sponcering me, and I am thinking about doing some other things. Now the question, what would I have to do, in your view, to earn STI tags to go on the front grill? STI has graced every subaru car that they think as sporty and it represents a higher, performance level. So what do you guys think? I am already putting in the turbo in less then 6 months, is that a STI SVX or is more needed?
'94 ebony pearl, with orange "silicone" hoses, painted beauty cover, Tom's Intake, Dayles Cold air intake; with HKS mega suction foam air filter, 3in header back exhaust, STI ground wires, euro front fascia, euro front grill, reactive 17in wheels, Nitto Invo's, Drilled and slotted rotors, stainless break lines, Koni strut inserts, Drop springs, 5MT, shotshifter, Clutchmasters clutch, ACT prolite flywheel, EL Glow gauges, The ECUTune stage 2. To Do: Cams, port and polish, etc.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:17 AM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Quote:
Originally Posted by black beast
Ok guys I have found a turbo, that I think will work, It is from a guy that is thinking of sponcering me, and I am thinking about doing some other things. Now the question, what would I have to do, in your view, to earn STI tags to go on the front grill? STI has graced every subaru car that they think as sporty and it represents a higher, performance level. So what do you guys think? I am already putting in the turbo in less then 6 months, is that a STI SVX or is more needed?
Eh, STi is overrated. take off all the subaru badges total, and just leave SVX... people won't have a clue what it is.

as for the turbo, what are the housings and wheels it has? is it a flange mount or no? what manufacturer? and whats it from?

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 06-18-2005, 07:02 AM
Back Road Blazer

the turbo is strange. It is more like an add on to the intake tube then a conventional turbo. It asks the diamiter of the of the tube and then tells you the wheel size that will fit it. The item is called a velocity stacker but it is a turbo. I think it would work good, and if it does not I know the guy so back it goes. Let me be the Lab Rat. OK?
'94 ebony pearl, with orange "silicone" hoses, painted beauty cover, Tom's Intake, Dayles Cold air intake; with HKS mega suction foam air filter, 3in header back exhaust, STI ground wires, euro front fascia, euro front grill, reactive 17in wheels, Nitto Invo's, Drilled and slotted rotors, stainless break lines, Koni strut inserts, Drop springs, 5MT, shotshifter, Clutchmasters clutch, ACT prolite flywheel, EL Glow gauges, The ECUTune stage 2. To Do: Cams, port and polish, etc.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:18 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Chris,
You're going to have your work cut out for you
Turbocharging the engine is a major effort for starters...
Follow this up with the 6 speed (check with Jesse)
Follow that with Dayle's big brake kit
Follow that with a Koni/GC coil over suspension using Mychailo's front and rear sway bars
Follow that with 2005 STI rims/tires
Follow that with STI front seats
Follow that with .....
(then again, you might just want to buy a used STi )
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 06-18-2005, 09:29 AM
Superbeast

Quote:
the turbo is strange. It is more like an add on to the intake tube then a conventional turbo. It asks the diamiter of the of the tube and then tells you the wheel size that will fit it. The item is called a velocity stacker but it is a turbo. I think it would work good, and if it does not I know the guy so back it goes. Let me be the Lab Rat. OK?

Dude, that is NOT a turbo. Form the sounds of it is just one of thoes Tornado type units that have been proven to do nothing but block the intake.

Trust me on this. If you really want to go faster than save your money and get the ECUtune stage III supercharger kit. It will be proven, it will be tuned, and it will be fast.

Then if it will make you happy, you can get an STI badge to put on your grill anyway OK. Trust me, I'm not gonna steer you wrong.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 06-19-2005, 07:49 AM
Mr Soob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subafreak
Dude, that is NOT a turbo. Form the sounds of it is just one of thoes Tornado type units that have been proven to do nothing but block the intake.

Trust me on this. If you really want to go faster than save your money and get the ECUtune stage III supercharger kit. It will be proven, it will be tuned, and it will be fast.

Then if it will make you happy, you can get an STI badge to put on your grill anyway OK. Trust me, I'm not gonna steer you wrong.
Never a truer word spoken.

But me... I wouldn't put an STi badge on an SVX until it had a six-speed, some type of forced induction, uprated brakes, worked suspension and some nice interior trimming.

Then again, I'd always want to be a lurker. Mine is going to externally look stock.
'93 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (55,000km, 1 previous owner) Not For Sale
'92 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (144,000km, 2 previous owners) Not For Sale
Wife, Red Hot when riled > Treated like a princess. Minister For Finance, Domestic Affairs and Diplomatic Relations. Definitely Not For Sale
My Wanted List: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...178#post632178
Old 06-19-2005, 10:28 AM

maybe someday when i have cash stacked to the ceiling,
im gonna have a 6spd, supercharged, tricked out, FLAT BLACK corvette killer....

(ahem subafreak ahem you beat me to it )
Old 06-19-2005, 10:59 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subafreak

Preach it Jesus!!!

WTF is the big deal with the "STi" badge to you Chris??.... If ya want to "earn" it so bad, perhaps ya should just ship your car to STi and have them make it an official "STI SVX".... But IMHO, ya don't need to go putting a badge on your car to be cool... It is just a badge... Follow Jessie's advice if ya want more power... If ya want more badge, just go put one on... It is, after all, just a badge

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 06-19-2005, 06:28 PM
Superbeast

Yes, sleepers are cool. Just look at my car from the outside.

I'm still working on the Corvette killing part.

Yeah, the STI moniker is not quite as cool as it used to be. Back when no one really knew what it was and it was exclusive to Japan, it was cool. But now it really is just a sticker people put on there car to "look" cool.

Seems Subaru never gave us the SVX we wanted (well that some of us want) it's up to us to make it, and with the help of all the talented and smart people of this board we are gonna be able to do it.

Performance talks, stickers walk.

Old 06-19-2005, 07:05 PM
Back Road Blazer

YA ok your right and Jessie, your right about the turbo thing too it isnot a turbo the guy tried to pawn on me its a damn intake tube that has a mock "turbo" on it. He thought I only wanted it to look cool. And guys I was only asking what I could do in your eyes its not that I want one so bad, hell I can buy one for $50 so that is not a problem. I was making sure that it would not piss you guys off, WTF is that little (in my part big) punk think he is doing? So if you guys don't care, when I save the $380 for the race concepts crossed drilled and slotted brakes, and then the $800 for the 100 shot of Nitro. Thanks guys
Old 06-19-2005, 07:19 PM
Superbeast

Quote:
YA ok your right and Jessie, your right about the turbo thing too it isnot a turbo the guy tried to pawn on me its a damn intake tube that has a mock "turbo" on it. He thought I only wanted it to look cool. And guys I was only asking what I could do in your eyes its not that I want one so bad, hell I can buy one for $50 so that is not a problem. I was making sure that it would not piss you guys off, WTF is that little (in my part big) punk think he is doing? So if you guys don't care, when I save the $380 for the race concepts crossed drilled and slotted brakes, and then the $800 for the 100 shot of Nitro. Thanks guys

Now your on the right track.

Old 06-19-2005, 10:41 PM
ThetaReactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by intellibomb
maybe someday when i have cash stacked to the ceiling,
im gonna have a 6spd, supercharged, tricked out, FLAT BLACK corvette killer....

(ahem subafreak ahem you beat me to it )
Flat black...

You've really got me thinking. Flat black, dark tint, no badges. Maybe a very discreet "SVX" masked off and clearcoated on the back. Gunmetal rims, maybe?
Old 06-20-2005, 07:25 AM
red95svx

Quote:
I was making sure that it would not piss you guys off, WTF is that little (in my part big) punk think he is doing? So if you guys don't care, when I save the $380 for the race concepts crossed drilled and slotted brakes, and then the $800 for the 100 shot of Nitro. Thanks guys

Do what makes you happy and stop worrying about what other people think. You drive your car, not us.

Dave
Old 06-20-2005, 10:00 AM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaReactor
Flat black...

You've really got me thinking. Flat black, dark tint, no badges. Maybe a very discreet "SVX" masked off and clearcoated on the back. Gunmetal rims, maybe?
I *almost* did mine in flat black. After seeing several flat black cars, I'm happy that I decided to go the complete opposite direction with the bright blue

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 06-20-2005, 05:34 PM
SEA Sleeper

STi SVX

Although I would love to see a SVX w/ the STi badge I don't think it would be fitting w/o upgrading nearly all of the running gear.

I hate to break it to all of you, but the SVX is not a sports car! It's a Japanese Cadillac w/ sporty attributes. It is a grand touring coupe, plain and simple. Sure, it has excellent handling and braking BUT the suspension is tuned for GT not for pulling 90* turns at 60 mph. The WRX STi is a sports car, not the SVX. Now don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying the SVX doesn’t have potential!

I think the EG33 is one of the sweetest engines ever designed. However, I think it would be a suitable power plant for a sports car w/ a weight of at least 1000 lbs less than ours.

Although the SVX is a wonderfully engineered machine, it is not a sports car. It is underpowered for it's weight and the suspension is downright sloppy in stock configuration (too much roll IMO). Add on the Stage III S/C, 5/6 MT, bigger calipers, Koni's and some stiff springs and then I'd definately consider it to be a sports car.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: