SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 05-10-2005, 09:25 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby
Add the front end in and the malibu looks like when I put my hands around my cat's head and pull back her ears and make her eyes all slanty-like.
That's frikin hilarious!

I have to note that I don't think that the Malibu is all that great looking. It is bland, in a class full of bland cars. But remember, companies build what people will buy.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:49 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow248
That's frikin hilarious!
i agree - may be the funniest thing i saw all week! i miss my stupid cat.

Quote:
I have to note that I don't think that the Malibu is all that great looking. It is bland, in a class full of bland cars. But remember, companies build what people will buy.
you are partially right - it is bland, but most of its competitors aren't. therein lies GM's problem. GM used to lack quality, but recently has upped its QC and interior design to keep up. now it has some decently put-together cars, but they are boring as hell looking. all the Malibu's mid-size competitors - the Accord, Maxima, Mazda6, Camry, Stratus, Ford 500 (ok, forget that one ), etc. etc. are all at least interesting to look at.

remember when power steering, AC and CD players used to be options? now they are pretty much expected to be on a new car. today, i think people want interesting looking cars, with projector headlights, some styling theme, blah blah blah. older people, who used to drive plain-ass Oldsmobiles and Buicks, are being replaced by a new generation of oldsters who want more "hip" stuff. that's why GM is junk-bond status now. they just can't put the whole package together. the Corvette can't save the rest of its bore-me-to-death lineup. just my observations and opinions.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 05-10-2005, 11:05 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
i agree - may be the funniest thing i saw all week! i miss my stupid cat.

you are partially right - it is bland, but most of its competitors aren't. therein lies GM's problem. GM used to lack quality, but recently has upped its QC and interior design to keep up. now it has some decently put-together cars, but they are boring as hell looking. all the Malibu's mid-size competitors - the Accord, Maxima, Mazda6, Camry, Stratus, Ford 500 (ok, forget that one ), etc. etc. are all at least interesting to look at.

remember when power steering, AC and CD players used to be options? now they are pretty much expected to be on a new car. today, i think people want interesting looking cars, with projector headlights, some styling theme, blah blah blah. older people, who used to drive plain-ass Oldsmobiles and Buicks, are being replaced by a new generation of oldsters who want more "hip" stuff. that's why GM is junk-bond status now. they just can't put the whole package together. the Corvette can't save the rest of its bore-me-to-death lineup. just my observations and opinions.
They're attempting to be "hip" with the Cobalt SS (once it comes out anyway). If I was a chick I'd think about buying one, then I'd remember that the Cavalier had 100+ recalls when they last redesigned it, and I'd end up with a Scion. Besides, SRT-4 is fastAr!

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 05-10-2005, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Now that again, is a matter of opinion. The ONLY car that you mentioned in there that I think is good looking is the Mazda6. Honda took a half-decent looking accord and made it look like a poor attempt at a concept car. The Maxima used to look nice, but now it looks like a full soda can that was left in the freezer too long. Camry? COME ON!! Pretty much the epitomy of BLAH. The Stratus looks like what it is - a hunk of plastic with some chrome. The Ford 500 is just as bland as the car that is was meant to replace, a car which used to hold the title as the most boring car on the planet.

Quote:
Actually GM's debt rating is not officially at junk-bond status yet. Only one rating agency has put them in that category, and most analysts disagree. But on that point, GM is where they are because they are the biggest company in a very competitive market of companies struggling to survive. Makes sense that the biggest one falls the hardest.

I wouldn't say GM has the most exciting car lineup out there. They are however, improving insanely quickly. in 2000 they had only a couple of all-around great cars. Here they are 5 years later and two entire brands (Cadillac, Pontiac) are full of great cars that people actually aspire to own. the Chevy line is coming around quite well. It takes time for a company of this size to change, but I think GM is actually doing so very efficiently.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:14 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

I also think the new art & science design in Cadillacs is pretty trendy - CTS, STS, XLR and SRX. Now it's not for everyone, but it has redefined the brand over the last 2-3 years, increased sales and attracted younger buyers...

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 05-10-2005, 11:43 PM
Hater

Quote:
Now that again, is a matter of opinion. The ONLY car that you mentioned in there that I think is good looking is the Mazda6. Honda took a half-decent looking accord and made it look like a poor attempt at a concept car. The Maxima used to look nice, but now it looks like a full soda can that was left in the freezer too long. Camry? COME ON!! Pretty much the epitomy of BLAH. The Stratus looks like what it is - a hunk of plastic with some chrome. The Ford 500 is just as bland as the car that is was meant to replace, a car which used to hold the title as the most boring car on the planet.
i'm not saying i personally like the looks of these cars (except for the Mazda6), but compared to the ho-hum-destined-to-be-a-fleet-vehicle-styled Malibu, they look like superstars. again, those are your opinions, but the general consumer says otherwise.

Quote:
I wouldn't say GM has the most exciting car lineup out there. They are however, improving insanely quickly. in 2000 they had only a couple of all-around great cars. Here they are 5 years later and two entire brands (Cadillac, Pontiac) are full of great cars that people actually aspire to own. the Chevy line is coming around quite well. It takes time for a company of this size to change, but I think GM is actually doing so very efficiently.
Cadillac, sure. Pontiac, i don't think so. the GTO and Solstice? they just aren't going to sell many of those - they are "enthusiast" cars. the G6, which should be their bread-n-butter, is a dead fish.

Old 05-11-2005, 09:58 AM
No longer blue member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd
I also think the new art & science design in Cadillacs is pretty trendy - CTS, STS, XLR and SRX. Now it's not for everyone, but it has redefined the brand over the last 2-3 years, increased sales and attracted younger buyers...

-Chike
I love the XLR!

01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 05-11-2005, 10:40 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby
Damn good point, Chike.

If you put your hand right past the front tire an dblock the front end on both of these pictures then they look about the same.
Add the front end in and the malibu looks like when I put my hands around my cat's head and pull back her ears and make her eyes all slanty-like.

edit: no kittys were harmed in the posting of this picture
I think the Malibu might look better if it has some whiskers.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:35 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
I think the Malibu might look better if it has some whiskers.
its already been neutered.

Old 05-11-2005, 01:42 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd

-Chike
^^ I agree
Old 05-11-2005, 04:08 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
When picking on blah, start with the ugliest - the Mountaineer with the Jack-o-Lantern grille.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurgundyBeast
They're attempting to be "hip" with the Cobalt SS (once it comes out anyway).
And Subaru and Mitsu were not "attempting to be hip" when they thought up the WRX, STi, and Evo? I smell a double standard here somewhere.

Quote:
If I was a chick I'd think about buying one, then I'd remember that the Cavalier had 100+ recalls when they last redesigned it, and I'd end up with a Scion.
Yeah, you'd end up with a Scion, and even more recalls and problems. Scion was obliterated by every single GM marque in initial quality in 2004 (JD Power Initial Quality study).

PS - 100+ recalls might be exaggerating JUST a little. I can only think of three. All three were voluntary.

Quote:
again, those are your opinions, but the general consumer says otherwise.
AHHH...here we go again. Trying to get the "general consumer" on your side? What does this mean anyway? Is this supposed to mean that you win? If you really do know this much about what the general consumer thinks, i'd like to consult you about some business ideas i've had. You would save me alot of time and money over one of those "focus group" agencies.

You have no damn clue what people think of the Malibu. Niether do I. All I know is that it's selling well enough that they created a wagon and an upgraded sport model. Sounds like it's doing fine to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landhshark
Cadillac, sure. Pontiac, i don't think so. the GTO and Solstice? they just aren't going to sell many of those - they are "enthusiast" cars. the G6, which should be their bread-n-butter, is a dead fish.
See here we go with the G6 again. Talk to me about this next year. At that point the car will have actually been out for more than 1 YEAR and we can make reasonable judgements about it's saleability. For god's sake, the entire G6 line hasn't even been released yet and I can't seem to hear the end of the "it's a sales flop" BS. Nobody, including GM marketers, are in a position at this point to make a judgement on how the car will sell. It's WAY TOO EARLY.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:06 PM
No longer blue member

Quote:
And Subaru and Mitsu were not "attempting to be hip" when they thought up the WRX, STi, and Evo? I smell a double standard here somewhere.

Yeah, you'd end up with a Scion, and even more recalls and problems. Scion was obliterated by every single GM marque in initial quality in 2004 (JD Power Initial Quality study).

PS - 100+ recalls might be exaggerating JUST a little. I can only think of three. All three were voluntary.

AHHH...here we go again. Trying to get the "general consumer" on your side? What does this mean anyway? Is this supposed to mean that you win? If you really do know this much about what the general consumer thinks, i'd like to consult you about some business ideas i've had. You would save me alot of time and money over one of those "focus group" agencies.

You have no damn clue what people think of the Malibu. Niether do I. All I know is that it's selling well enough that they created a wagon and an upgraded sport model. Sounds like it's doing fine to me.

See here we go with the G6 again. Talk to me about this next year. At that point the car will have actually been out for more than 1 YEAR and we can make reasonable judgements about it's saleability. For god's sake, the entire G6 line hasn't even been released yet and I can't seem to hear the end of the "it's a sales flop" BS. Nobody, including GM marketers, are in a position at this point to make a judgement on how the car will sell. It's WAY TOO EARLY.
My gf had a Cavalier, she said the total number of recalls was 113 on her year (don't remember which year it was). Most of them were dumb things, but I remember one was about the seat coming unbolted from the floor while driving. Although the Scion may be behind in J.D. Powers, there have not been any recalls for any of their models.

And Subaru's not really trying to be "hip," the WRX and Sti have been available elsewhere for quite some time now as has the Evo...

01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 05-11-2005, 08:32 PM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Send a message via AIM to Weebitob
Registered SVX
So your saying just because it was available in Japan, then Europe before it reached the states makes it seem as though the manufacturer was not trying to be hip. I guess that makes the Carrera GT a necessity for Porsche. Actually, a more appropriate for the WRX and EVO inception was because Subaru and Mitsubishi had to make a almost to the exact (at least in body, frame transmission and basic engine components including the turbo, unlike today's NASCAR which I hope Dodge changes with their Charger) in order to fit into Group A specifications.

So when are we exactly getting back to the 2005 Mustang. If you think the Pontiac G6 is dull than you might as well say that the Camry and Accord is dull. As for the Camry being dull, feature and interior wise, yes it is a bit dull, but I think the outside of the new one has a simple elegance to it, but that is my opinion. Also it is the Nissan Altima, not the Maxima, that fits into this segment since this would be like comparing the Mazda6 to the Grand Prix.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:00 PM

Quote:
My gf had a Cavalier, she said the total number of recalls was 113 on her year (don't remember which year it was). Most of them were dumb things, but I remember one was about the seat coming unbolted from the floor while driving. Although the Scion may be behind in J.D. Powers, there have not been any recalls for any of their models.
I was right...there have been a total of three recalls for the Cavalier since recalls began. None were for seats unbolting. One was for a starter short, one for a seat belt buckle that sometimes would not unbuckle, and one for a faulty windshield wiper switch.

Also, you won't likely see recalls for Scion. The majority of GM's recalls are voluntary, and to date, GM is the only company that does voluntary recalls. So just because there aren't any recalls on a given car, that doesn't mean there haven't been any problems.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: