Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 04-20-2005, 08:11 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Between a truck and a Ford place, part 4.

I have a serious problem with tall vehicles. They can't seem to notice I'm on the road.

Let me refresh your memory of parts 1-3.

1) Summer 2003 - Large Ford Bronco brakes suddenly in front of me. I was not exactly paying attention so I had no time to brake. Swerved around it, didn't realize a lifted Toyota was in my left blind spot. Somehow my friend (co-pilot) knew and said something before I sideswiped it. He never realized I was beside him.
My fault. My bad.

2) Winter 2003 - Very large Ford F350 turns out in front of me in heavy snow, in a 50 mph zone. I'm doing 40, but it's snow. I can't stop in the 50-60 feet she gave me. I notice traffic to my left and realizing there's no way I can pull off another Toyota squeeze, I sacrifice the SVX and pull right, between the Ford and a brick wall, over a slalom of snow, and pull ahead of the idiot, who doesn't follow me to a stop for fear I would tear her a new one. The friend with me at the time was in shock. We just wanted to go to Arby's.
Not my fault.

3) Summer 2004 - I pull to a stop behind a very large red Honda Odyssey. You cannot miss this thing. It's ass is HUGE. This pickup isn't paying attention to the lane it's in, but rather the lane next to ours which is moving, and figures he's alright. Wrong. He smacks into me at about 35-40, I spill ice cream everywhere. I was holding the brake, which as obvious by the black marks on the road where my tires were, but since I didn't see him coming (like 3-4 seconds after I stopped) I reactively let off and hit the Honda.
Not my fault.

Part 4, today, Spring 2005, doing 50 in a 50 zone approaching an intersection, I have the green. A boat-licious (huge) yellow H2 pulls to the corner for a right turn into my lane in a two lane road, hesitates yet doesn't stop like he should have because I am at the fricking crosswalk which is only about 40 feet away, moving towards him at speed.
The SVX brakes aren't THAT good.
I swerve to the left.
What's that rumble? The gosh-darned @#$%^ F350 that was stinking up the air at the last light hit WOT and tried to get ahead of me as the H2 pulled out. Idunno maybe he thought I was going to crash and he was trying to avoid some incident.
Well I didn't notice him til he throttled it and ran up next to me. He WAS behind me, but no, truck drivers in this state are all jackholes. So I squeezed between them, probably looking like an ass to everyone for not giving up my right of way.
Not my damn fault.

Agree/disagree, comments, concerns, suggestions, related incidents...

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to Sidewinder Send a message via MSN to Sidewinder
I have a comment: I hate huge trucks too. I also extra-hate H2's. It's like the supersize of hate.

"The SVX — Where, they wondered, do you put the kayak?"
Old 04-21-2005, 07:39 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
I have a different opinion. I hate bad drivers. Unfortunately they seem to disproportionately own large vehicles. I have had just as many Hondas, Toyotas, Oldsmobiles, Chevys, etc. that have pulled all the things you describe as big trucks, however I live in the city so we have less big trucks than in the burbs.

Why do bad drivers tend to buy big trucks? I dunno.

I hate when people pull up to you at a stop light in the right turn lane, then go straight, gunning it to make it back in before the row of parked cars.

BTW: I am a great big truck driver. I never race, never try to duck in and out of traffic. I just Rock!

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 04-21-2005, 08:25 AM
Hater

i hate dingy chicks in Cavaliers who pull out in front of me.

i was coming home from work last night, and this dumb*** pulls halfway out into the road from a side street. i stood on the brake pedal and chattered and screeched to a halt. did she not see my headlights coming all the way down that hill? no, she probably never looked. i gave her a nice wakeup blast of triple 130db horns for a count of ten.

in other news, my brakes work great.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 04-21-2005, 08:26 AM
Recluse

Send a message via MSN to Darksied-X Send a message via Yahoo to Darksied-X
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohrds
Why do bad drivers tend to buy big trucks? I dunno.
I read some psychological study on this once, and it came to a very good conclusion. It all comes down to basic animal instincts. Bad drivers buy the largest vehicle because they feel it will protect them the most because of size, regardless of any proven safety studies. The intimidation to others due to size also factors into it. They actually compaired it to the classic "If your attacked by a bear, stretch out your jacket to make yourself appear larger, and thus more intimidating." Is the bear going to get scared of you? Maybe, maybe not. Are you going to feel better about the situation? Probably, at least a little. Are you going to be more protected in any way if the bear still decides to strike? Absolutely not.

Damn, I really wish I remembered where I saw that study. It made more sense than I probably am right now.

There was also a piece in it on why cars have so many cup holders these days, but that's another discussion...kind of.

'03 WRX Wagon, World Rally Blue
'94 SVX LSi, Barcelona Red
'89 XT6 4WD, Grey & Rust
(and legally, an '01 Outback VDC skankmobile)
Old 04-21-2005, 05:11 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
I think Alaska just has an extremely high concentration of trucks. I recall once when I lady in a VW bug tried to get in my lane as I was sitting next to her, but for the most part the larger vehicles are the only ones that I feel have threatened mine and others safety.
I also honestly think half the time they don't/can't see me.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: