IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2004, 10:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
Quote:
Originally posted by Matthewmongan
sti conversions with all you need 1799 - 4999

239 for mounts complete motor includes all sensors, TD05 turbo, downpipe with cat, ECU and wire harness. 240 -280 hp depending on the version all are the ej20 t found in japan none of the ej22t or ej25t found in the american market.

DO IT DO IT

i plan on doing it to my 95 legacy (currently used by my sister who needs awd while at school in the wester part of md) but thats 4 years down the road. it needs some body work and paint but it would be sweet.

Hey! They're in Santa Rosa, CA. Theres a Coast Guard base near, there in Petaluma. It's one of the bases I've been trying to get stationed at.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:29 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

hmm....
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:03 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
As far as the link, parts only , I was referring to a complete drive away swap, smog legal. That's a big deal in "smog nazi" land, btw.

And that S60R is looking mighty BUENO! with the "tech factor", as well as slightly reminiscent of the BD/BG model Legacy's "look". But again, looking at "sleeper factor" and price, I think the swap offers a real value, especially if the recipient is in good shape, with a few improvements as far as structural rigidity, suspension and brakes.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 09-09-2004, 07:36 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by Chiketkd
Heck the best canyon carver out there is the '05 Lotus Elise but you won't see me in line for one - need a sedan (or a saloon as the British say) to haul my family around in...
<cough> STi

Quote:
P.S. This is the technology that I'm after on the new S60R...

that looks like a lot of crap to go bad........innovation and technology are cool, but how are all those sensors and control modules gonna hold up in a few years? i like my gizmos tried and tested.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 09-09-2004, 10:34 PM
no limitation as limitation

yeah if you look at subaru's R and D they test their parts more thouroly than any other car compony thats probably you see awd loyals made in 87 with 350000 miles on them in amiture rally races try that with your mama's honda.
Old 09-10-2004, 07:32 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthewmongan
yeah if you look at subaru's R and D they test their parts more thouroly than any other car compony thats probably you see awd loyals made in 87 with 350000 miles on them in amiture rally races try that with your mama's honda.
Is that post above suppose to be read all in one breath???? Periods and comma's would be nice

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 09-10-2004, 10:15 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark
that looks like a lot of crap to go bad........innovation and technology are cool, but how are all those sensors and control modules gonna hold up in a few years? i like my gizmos tried and tested.
That's why I'll be waiting over a year before buying one. I first want to see what problems owners start reporting...

At least the warranty on those cars is pretty decent.

-Chike

P.S. The STI's back seat is waay too small. My wife sat in one and said it wouldn't work for our family's needs. I was looking at EVO's and STI's at that point in time...

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 09-10-2004, 10:46 AM
Hater

Quote:

That's why I'll be waiting over a year before buying one. I first want to see what problems owners start reporting...

At least the warranty on those cars is pretty decent.

-Chike

P.S. The STI's back seat is waay too small. My wife sat in one and said it wouldn't work for our family's needs. I was looking at EVO's and STI's at that point in time...
you might want to check out the AWD system in the S60R, too. i remember seeing a video of a Swedish comparison between the Volvo Crosscountry and an Outback wagon, and the Volvo was extremely pitiful!!!!! couldn't find the vid, but here is the transcript:

Subaru Outback 2.5 vs. Volvo V70 Cross Country

Superiority in the mud
When we tested 5 different four-wheel driven cars a while back, we noticed that Volvo Cross Country refused to pull with its rear wheels. The system didn’t put any power to the rear axle even when the front wheels were put on free-rolling rolls to simulate slippery conditions. The other cars performed variously in the test, but Volvo was clearly the worst one. Volvo told us that we couldn’t test their four-wheel drive system like we had done, so we did a new test, this time in real-life and under real conditions. Is Cross Country four-wheel driven?

Ring Knutstorp has quite an easy off-road track that resembles a muddy and hilly forest road. A typical terrain for four-wheel driven cars of the type Volvo represents. They are not actual terrain cars, they can’t manage climbing over logs and rocks or deep wading, but they should definitely manage a forest road without getting stuck.

Subaru the first one
Subaru was the first one to lift the suspension on their wagon, mount some tough moldings and thus heavily lean towards an off road-look, the new model was named Legacy Outback. Volvo realized the smartness in this concept, and quickly followed with V70 Cross Country, that’s why we wanted to use a Subaru Legacy Outback as comparison.
Outback and Cross Country are quite alike. They are equally long, they both have a similar wheel mounting and suspension, and the engines have almost exactly the same volume. Volvo has a 10cm longer wheelbase and the car is also 10cm wider. Volvo has a 200hp turbo-five engine while Subaru has a nice 156hp boxer-four. Both test cars were also equipped with auto-transmission and rolled on Pirelli friction tires to give good conditions for the comparison.

Heavy pricing
A more effective engine means higher top speed, Cross Country tops 210km/h while Outback is somewhat slower with its 197km/h. Subaru, however, accelerates quicker; 0-100km/h in 7,7 seconds – Volvo needs 8,6 seconds. Volvo charges quite a lot for the 44hp power advantage; Cross Country costs 315.900, 61.000 more than Legacy Outback, which costs 254.900. Still the Japanese is more comprehensively equipped than the Swede, air-conditioning and alloy wheels are standard, but cost extra on Volvo. Warranty is also better on Subaru, 3 years or 100.000 km against 1 year on Volvo. Volvo, on the other hand, has a non-rust-warranty good for 8 years compared to 6 year on the Japanese.

Volvo is, however, a much more beautiful car, it looks very cool from a front view with the covered nose, wide wheel track and low roofline, while Subaru is more a car of the 90s with its strict lines. The interior is quite similar on both cars with a plastic touch. Subaru has improved here, while Volvo still is missing the Audi-class on the interior.

Nothing dramatical, no wheel spin
Back to business, or back to the mud would be a more appropriate expression. The conditions were quite dry, it was possible to walk on the forest road without plunging through, and it didn’t look very hard to drive on. With the Subaru there were really no problems driving up the hills (the only difficult parts on the track), just in with the gear and then cautiously up the hill. Nothing un-expected here, Subaru behaved exactly like a true four-wheel driven car with some terrain-capability should under theses circumstances.

With the Volvo we got stuck in the first up-hill, you can see from the QuickTime –movie that the hill isn’t especially steep or demanding, but Cross Country started to spin the front wheels, and exactly like in our previous test, the rear wheels didn’t pull at all. The electronics didn’t help whatsoever. The front wheels kept on digging deeper and deeper, smoke was rising from the tires, but the rear wheels didn’t pull. After standing there a few minutes with spinning front wheels, there was a feeling that the rear wheels tried to act, but by then we were totally stuck and had to come back down.

Then we tested the cars on the same forest road with a trailer carrying a 200kg load. In other words an easy load for these cars capable of a 1.800kg trailer. No problems for Subaru, it was easy to turn and correct the trailer, a typical action to get a two-wheel driven car stuck. With the Volvo it was the same story all over again. At an early state it started to spin the front wheels and got no help from the rear wheels. The car got hopelessly stuck.

The final result
In conclusion, the results were the same as in laboratory conditions on a road of rolls. Volvo V70 Cross Country might be a nice, good looking and drivable car, but the four-wheel drive system is under all critics. If you’re a really capable driver you can come quite far with the front wheel drive, it really can manage a lot more than one could expect, but the idea with four-wheel drive is that you never get stuck, not even a novice driver on a muddy road with a trailer. Subaru Legacy Outback, however, is a true four-wheel driven car that won’t let you down.

BTW, i just rode in the back of the WRX the other day and had plenty of room (6ft, 190lbs). its no Cadillac, but i was fine as far as space goes. you must have big kids.

Old 09-10-2004, 12:06 PM

Interesting info Alan. One thing, the Volvo S60R uses a more advanced version of their Haldex awd system which transfers torque with a slip in the front wheels of just 1/7 of a rotation.

Also, unlike other awd Volvo models, the system splits torque 90/10 in normal driving, so the rear wheels are always under power.

Short of buying a 911 Carrera C4S, the Volvo is the next best choice in my view. While the backseat of the STI is OK, it's not as roomy as the EVO's or S60R. My kids aren't big, but with a 14 month old and a 12 year old step daughter, we have a lot of junk to tote around town...

-Chike

Old 09-10-2004, 12:10 PM
Hater

Quote:
Short of buying a 911 Carrera C4S, the Volvo is the next best choice in my view. While the backseat of the STI is OK, it's not as roomy as the EVO's or S60R. My kids aren't big, but with a 14 month old and a 12 year old step daughter, we have a lot of junk to tote around town...

-Chike
i'm guessing you never sat in the back seat of a 911.

you can hope for an STi wagon, though.

Old 09-10-2004, 12:17 PM

Quote:
i'm guessing you never sat in the back seat of a 911.
I only mentioned the 911 as it is truly a dream car of mine! 911 backseats are best used for soft luggage or limb-less passengers...

The Volvo will just be a cool car to drive around in, carve up backroads with on weekends as well as take to the drag strip/ AutoX tracks! Plus I'll have a monthly payment I can live with...

-Chike

Old 09-10-2004, 12:21 PM
Hater

Quote:

I only mentioned the 911 as it is truly a dream car of mine! 911 backseats are best used for soft luggage or limb-less passengers...

The Volvo will just be a cool car to drive around in, carve up backroads with on weekends as well as take to the drag strip/ AutoX tracks! Plus I'll have a monthly payment I can live with...

-Chike
my buddy is going to be selling his '76 911SC Targa widebody soon.....

painted your favorite color last year - Ferrari Red!

Old 09-10-2004, 12:30 PM

Quote:
my buddy is going to be selling his '76 911SC Targa widebody soon.....

painted your favorite color last year - Ferrari Red!
Love that color! However, I'm not a true Porsche-phile. I like the 996 and the new 997 styles the best...

-Chike

P.S. I know true Porsche enthusiasts would beat me to a pulp for saying that, 'cuz the only way to go for them is 'air cooled'!

Old 09-10-2004, 07:21 PM
Certified Porschephile

I'm a 928 fan myself. How about the Forester STi they previewed in Motor Trend? My 2000 is big enough for my 8 and 2 year olds and the other required gear.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:22 PM
Hater

Quote:

Love that color! However, I'm not a true Porsche-phile. I like the 996 and the new 997 styles the best...

-Chike

P.S. I know true Porsche enthusiasts would beat me to a pulp for saying that, 'cuz the only way to go for them is 'air cooled'!
i like the newer ones, too. (the sound of an air-cooled 911 is just so sweet, though!)
the best Porsche to buy is the latest one you can afford - they are constantly being improved upon. Subaru learned this from Porsche, too.

i'm not a true Porsche-phile either: i like the front-engined watercooled V8 ones (not the Cayenne!).

oh yeah, this was a Legacy thread.