How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-05-2004, 06:38 PM
Loki

My Celica has a problem...

I know this isnt a Celica forum... but the people over at 6gc.net are mostly ricers trying to throw a Supra TT engine in a 1.8l Celica. I know most of you are very experienced. I started up my car this morning to only to have it knock after like 2,000RPM. I dont know what exactly this means as it has no knock at idle. Does anyone know what this could be?

There is a sound file of the noise in my locker under the celica folder.

You guys are the best, you always helped me with my SVX and I owe having money to buy the Celica to you.

Thanks in Advance.
Old 09-05-2004, 09:01 PM
Mr. Inappropriate

That sounds suspiciously like a bad rod bearing. Early in it's self destruction. Suggest pulling the pan and the rod caps and inspecting the bearings. If/when it goes it will seize the motor unless it goes at high rpm then really bad things will happen.
Old 09-05-2004, 09:05 PM
Loki

So... for those that arent technicly inclined... what does that mean in terms of what I need to do. Should I have it towed to the dealer or a private mechanic? What is the usual cost incurred in this kind of thing?

Thanks for your reply.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:18 PM
Mr. Inappropriate

If you can't do it yourself, you'll need a trustworthy mechanic. It will not be cheap if it's done right. Actually, it would probably be cheaper to buy a remanufactured shortblock and have it installed. Less labor hours...and that's what's gonna cost you. Also, with a reman shortblock there is less chance of some monkey with a wrench screwing it up.

Either way, if you pay someone to do it you'll be lucky to get out of it under $1,200.00, probably looking at dealer price of over 2k.

In terms of what you need. They'll want to pull the engine, don't know what that involves on a Toyoter. Remove everything on the front, remove the main seal, remove the crank. Crank should be checked for scratches and if necessary sent to a machine shop to be reground. Install new bearings and put it all back together again with all new gaskets. Should always replace water pump, thermostat, timing belt while you have it apart.

Last edited by Myetball; 09-05-2004 at 11:21 PM.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:01 AM
Loki

Anyone else have another opinion? Why would it be so sudden? It was drasticly low on oil... but I still dont get it. And another thing that weirds me out is that its not consistant...
Old 09-07-2004, 12:23 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Quote:
Originally posted by Loki
Why would it be so sudden? It was drasticly low on oil...
There's your reason, low oil level. When a bearing is starved for oil for any reason, it results in metal to metal contact, wearing away the bearing material and allowing the rod to wobble, albeit slightly, on the crank. Remember to check your oil level often to avoid this expensive repair.

Time for an engine re-build or replacement. Cost will be dependant on the mechanic/shop and your choice of re-build existing, buy new, or installing a used shortblock. I would guess a minimum of $1500.

Todd
Old 09-09-2004, 10:11 AM
Peach

scavenger hunt

Quote:
Originally posted by Loki
Anyone else have another opinion? Why would it be so sudden? It was drasticly low on oil... but I still dont get it. And another thing that weirds me out is that its not consistant...
Hi Loki, It sounds like your ready for some kind of upgrade. You weren't real discriptive of your Celica tho. Are you going to keep it long term, short term etc. Hunt around some of the salvage yards for engine replacements, in some cases you can get alot for a little. Wish I could find SVX parts in my local yards. Good luck.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:51 AM
Loki

The celica is a 1.8l 7A-FE engine... I allready found one at a junk yard with 80K on it for $550. I think im going to throw it in and sell the car to cut my losses. I dont know though. Id really like some more power, but if I get the 5S-GE then it would need a new ECU and some of the accessories dont mount up.

Its really funny that you guys provide SOO much more information than the celica owners group... theyre too busy adding turbo's to a 95HP motor...

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 09-09-2004, 02:15 PM
Mr. Inappropriate

Hadn't even considered the used motor route. The local pic-n-pull charges $150 for any motor. Going this weekend to help a friend pull a Honda F22A.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:47 PM
Loki

I got a 7A-FE (stock motor) with 19k on it for $1400 installed.... sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

What do you guys think?

FYI - My SVX is running strong (slight tranny issues aside)!
Old 09-09-2004, 11:07 PM
Mr. Inappropriate

With 19k on it and installed, sounds like you got a pretty sweet deal.

Maybe you won't have to sell it.....just check the oil often
Old 09-10-2004, 01:46 PM
Danish_svx

I have a Celica as well, including my SVX.

Make sure the engine you are getting hasn't been sitting outside in the rain, and make sure it hasn't been sitting with fluids indie of it. Make sure the fluids have been dumped out of it.

If you don't mind spending money, "Jasper Engines" sells remanufactured with 36,000 miles 3yr warranties on their engines and they have plenty of Toyota. Getting an engine from a scrap yard always has it chances of being bad and full of rust if they haven't been used. It's also a good idea when pulling an engine out of a scrap car that you change all the belts: timing and serpentine. And re seal the oil pan, valve cover, and head gasket.

From expierence I know it's quite invigerating to put Celica engines in. I've replaced two 5sfe in my Celica. Until I finally put a 3sgte (2.0L Turbo) in it which I feel is the best engine that yamaha ever made.

I would also suggest changing the whole engine and not just the short block if you are going to replace something.

In my opinion the best thing to do with your engine would be keep it. Bore it out and put some iron or steel cylinder sleeves in it, and replace the rod bearings to TOGA rod bearings which are alot stronger than the factory ones. Summitracing actually builds a rebuild kit for the 5sfe, 3sgte, 4afe, and the 7afe.
Old 09-10-2004, 01:55 PM
Loki

Youre on your 4th engine!!??!! Whats with that? Also my grandpa is taking care of all the engine details, he has been a mechanic for 50 years. Ill mention the fluid drainage to him, thanks for the tip. Im kinda looking for a quick turnaround so I doubt that Ill even keep the old engine, the scrapyard said that theyd give me $75 for it.

Thanks for your help.

BTW: YOU NEED!!! to get some pics in your locker, Id love you see youre celica and svx. I am a part of 6gc.net aswell and they are a decent group. The thing about them is they dont have a channel dedicated to repairs, so their engine forum is flooded with 3S-GTE and 5S-FTE questions.

Last edited by Loki; 09-10-2004 at 01:57 PM.