How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-06-2004, 01:25 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Check Engine Light flashing

I have had my car since Nov of 2003 and so far so good. Recently i have had this one problem and it is concerning me. Last sunday (june 27) as I was driving and going around a corner the check engine light flashed really quick and went away. It didnt come for the rest of the time or since then. Today as i was parking my car in the driveway the light came on again while i was steering the wheel ...it flashed once and then came back again and stayed on for a quick second and then went away. Nothing is wrong with the car and it runs fine. The steering wheel shakes above speeds of 65 MPH. When i have my left foot on the rest pedal my foot begins to shake too. That only happens when im on the highway going above 65 MPH. I am not too concerned with that...it really can only be felt from the drivers side...i sat in the passenger seat and didnt feel any shaking . I dont know if I should be so concerned about that or the check engine light flashing. The car runs fine and doesnt stall or anything. The two days it flashed the temp was pretty hot but the temp needle was at its normal position so im baffled. Thanks in advance for the help!

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 07-06-2004, 01:26 PM

By the way the shaking isnt unbearable or anything its just annoying. I forgot to mention another thing....when i started the car this morning to move it for my mom the abs light flashed when i hit the brakes and then went away and never came back. this happened once before in the winter when i started the car up in the morning. Its only done it on initial start when the engine is cold.

Last edited by n00b on demand; 07-06-2004 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:59 PM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
My guess would be the notorious O2 sensors. It only takes 5 min. to snap on a code reader. If you have troublle with starting occaisionally, as if flooding the engine or get black smoke when you start,I'd get that checked out pronto. There is an ECU coolant temperature sensor which will also cause the engine light to flash. If it's bad you will be washing all the oil off the walls of your cylinders with raw fuel from the over rich mixture. The part is cheap and takes less time to change that it does to read the code.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:13 PM

Thanks for the reply. I never have trouble starting and I never get black smoke when I start. This car does alot of weird things without something being wrong. I find that its weird that it just flashed and went away. Hopefully i'll never see it again!

Old 07-07-2004, 08:13 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I too experience the same thing every once in a while. I will keep ignoring it until it stays on permanently or I can find O2 sensors for a reasonable price.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:16 AM

Yeah I too decided to ignore it untill it stays on permanently. I figure that if it only pops up every once in a while then it really isnt that big of a deal. Can someone tell me what exactly an O 2 sensor does and how much it would approximatley cost to replace one? Also the cost of replacing the coolant temp sensor. I know it sounds stupid lol

Old 07-07-2004, 10:32 AM
Posting since Dec.'98

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by soobiesvx93
Yeah I too decided to ignore it untill it stays on permanently. I figure that if it only pops up every once in a while then it really isnt that big of a deal. Can someone tell me what exactly an O 2 sensor does and how much it would approximatley cost to replace one? Also the cost of replacing the coolant temp sensor. I know it sounds stupid lol
My Coolant senor was $35.00 Canadian. It only takes a socket wrench to change, just like a spark plug.

The O2 sensors are anywhere from 70.00 - 150.00 here. You need a 3 wire sensor. This link should help.

http://oxygensensors.com/
Old 07-13-2004, 01:31 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I checked at the dealership here yesterday and they want $225 each for O2 sensors. I asked them about any discounts and they'll give me 10% off if I can prove a dealership/garage. Pffft, that doesn't even cover tax.

I may as well order from the US and pay shipping, duty, taxes and it will still be cheaper.

Does anyone have contact information for Subaru of Canada? I want to write them a letter/email.
Old 07-17-2004, 06:41 AM
Posting since Dec.'98

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
I may as well order from the US and pay shipping, duty, taxes and it will still be cheaper.
Try bosh or another after market brand. There are also universal fit sensors out there. Just make sure they quote you the 3 wire version and not the 2 wire. The 3rd wire is for the heater to make it work right before the pipes heat up. You'll have to splice the connectors off of your old sensors to the wires for the new one in some cases.
Old 07-17-2004, 06:47 AM
Posting since Dec.'98

Registered SVX
If you have the inclination, I was speaking to the Subaru mechanic who does my work and he told me that in a lot of cases you can clean the sensors with carburettor cleaner. If you are going to trash them anyway why not give it a try then have the error codes purged from the computer.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:36 PM
Meow!

I can try that...my dad has an abundance of carb cleaner...I just need to convince him to not use the stuff on everything (like paint or the new decals on my Justy right after an accident was fixed).