How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2004, 05:57 AM
red95svx

Are you sure you are tightening the bolts correctly? If memory serves me you need to start with the bolt that's near the 3 o'clock position and move counter-clockwise, tightening each bolt to 7-10 ft lbs, then repeat.

Dave
Old 06-12-2004, 06:37 AM
deruvian

Quote:
Originally posted by red95svx
Are you sure you are tightening the bolts correctly? If memory serves me you need to start with the bolt that's near the 3 o'clock position and move counter-clockwise, tightening each bolt to 7-10 ft lbs, then repeat.
I'm certain I tightened them correctly. There is one bolt, to the right of the pulley, which is the last one you are supposed to tighten. The one directly above it is the starting point, which is near the 3 o'clock position. I tightened each one to approximately 10 ft/lbs.

The only potential problem that I see is that I have a dial-type torque wrench (the one with a long bar attached to the head of the wrench, and on the other end is a dial which shows the flex of the bar.) These aren't fully accurate, as the bar tends to bend over time. This one is a little older, and only has a 2% accuracy rate anyway.

I would really like to invest in a click-type torque wrench, but they're so expensive and I'm already hurting for $$$ right now. Should I just suck it up and do it?
Old 06-12-2004, 07:42 AM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally posted by deruvian

I tightened each one to approximately 10 ft/lbs.

....and then you tightened them again, right? You have to do it twice.

Dave
Old 06-12-2004, 11:29 AM

About that pressure test thingy....

I have built such a thing once, using a old pressure cap and a tire "valve" (don't know the term for this).

Just drill a hole in the old pressure cap and install the tire valve, use a type that have threads and a nut, and put some sealing stuff in between.

Done! , now you can use a pump or comressed air to pressurize the system to maybe 1-1.5 bar.

/Sonny

-92 ebony black with 170k KM

*** -Stress is when you wake up screaming & you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet. ***
Old 06-12-2004, 05:06 PM
deruvian

Quote:
Originally posted by red95svx

....and then you tightened them again, right? You have to do it twice.

Dave
Yes, I did. I also triple-checked all of them, in order.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:03 PM
deruvian

Just a thought... Is it a possibility that a leaky head gasket can be causing my problems? Directly after I installed my new water pump gaskets, it started to leak without starting the car. This makes me think that it is not a head gasket problem, but I just thought I'd ask.

BTW - is it normal for antifreeze/coolant to feel slightly oily? As in, when you rub it between your fingers? I think I would **** my pants if oil was somehow in my coolant, so I'm just making sure.

Thanks so much for the help everyone. Couldn't do it without ya.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by deruvian

BTW - is it normal for antifreeze/coolant to feel slightly oily? As in, when you rub it between your fingers?
Yes, but it shouldn't have a multicolored sheen on the surface, as when oil is mixed with water.

dcb
Old 06-14-2004, 01:26 PM
deruvian

Quote:
Originally posted by dcarrb

Yes, but it shouldn't have a multicolored sheen on the surface, as when oil is mixed with water.

dcb
Old 06-14-2004, 11:19 PM
deruvian

Weeell, I got my replacement water pump, gasket, seal, and thermostat today. I love it when I find a parts dept. at a dealership that is actually nice.

All parts installed, and so far there is no leaking. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, though...

I put some coolant stop-leak in there for good measure, too.

The only problem is that my engine is now making a funny clickity noise when running. It increases in speed as the RPMs go up. I made sure the timing belt was on correctly, and that the cams and crank were aligned. I also counted the number of belt teeth between the crank and cam pulleys. I'm thinking I just miscounted or something, because this morning (before I fixed everything), it was running fine. Oh well. I'll fix it tomorrow.

Here's hoping!
Old 06-15-2004, 06:43 AM

Stop-leak may also make your coolant appear "oily."

dcb