How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-06-2004, 02:09 PM
Loki

Belt Tensioner

So I posted like 2 weeks ago about belt problems, I just now got a chance to look at them as Ive been driving my Celica. I tried loosening the belt tensioner (down and to the passanger side of the alternator) and it worked fine, but once I actually got the belt on and tried to re-tighten the tensioner it snapped... so that really sucks, does anyone know of anything that I can do? I dont really know how to get the broken portion of it out. Once I get it out and replace the bolt Im sure that the car will be fine (I hope, with force (pulling hard on the belt) the cam pulley moves almost 1/4 inch). Does anyone have experence/know what to do with this? Also does anyone know the part number of the bolt?

Thanks in Advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg svx_bolt.jpg (27.2 KB, 182 views)
Old 06-06-2004, 05:34 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
You can take the whole pulley assembly off with I think 5 bolts - instructions to get it off are in the timing belt how-to. Once off use an EZ-out to get the brken part out. After that you should be able to buy a new bolt and put it all back together.

http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?mod...ategory=346-A1

Looks like part 14 (part number 34435PA020)
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:44 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
I had that bolt fall out while I was doing the timing belt, it's a *itch to put back in, but I agree, it looks like you need part #14.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 06-06-2004, 10:09 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
mine broke the same way, you might be able to unscrew it from the other side. Just loosen the nut that holds the pulley on and get a pliers on the remaining piece of the screw and twist it out remember it is a reverse thread so "righty loosie"

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 06-07-2004, 06:18 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Those bolts used for tightening the belts and others up in the front get corrosion on them from salt spray. I usually wire brush off the threads and coat with silcone grease before putting them back on the car. It helps with the next disassembly.
I try to remember that "If it does NOT turn easy it may break".
Old 06-07-2004, 07:53 AM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
Always make sure you loosen the pulley before you turn the tensioner. That way this doesn't happen to you again.

Good Luck getting it out.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 06-20-2004, 12:34 PM
Loki

So I thought it was fixed...

I would like to start out with a thank you for all the people helping me with this.

I bought a P/S pump off ebay and replaced the broken tensioner with it. I put the new belt on tightend it up and tightened up the cam pulley, everything looked finished. I have me dad start the car while Im watching and it starts... the belts spin for about half a second and then they stop, the cam pulley is loose again. Is there something I have to do to stop the cam pulley from becoming loose? Is there possibly something worse wrong inside the cam?

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 06-20-2004, 12:55 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I'm assuming by cam pulley you mean the idler pulley for the power steering belt?
See the diagram - the bolt you broke and replaced is the adjustment bolt, after that is adjusted you tighten the bolt at the center of the pulley.
If you do that is it still becoming loose?
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
Old 06-20-2004, 06:55 PM
Loki

In that pic it is the "double pulley" that is getting loose.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:15 PM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
Quote:
Originally posted by Loki
In that pic it is the "double pulley" that is getting loose.
That would be the crank pulley. Make sure you torque it down properly.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 06-20-2004, 07:20 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
That is the crank pulley - it has a rubber dampener on it - it can separate between the center section and outer section if the rubber part cracks. Is the pulley becoming loose at the rubber section or is the bolt that holds the pulley on getting loose?

If the outer part of the pulley is moving forward and backwards then the pulley is shot and you'll have to get a new one.

The bolt needs to be torqued quite a bit to get it to spec - I think around 120 lb-ft or so. If the bolt is getting loose after torquing it that much then I wouldn't really know what to do.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:28 AM
Loki

It is the bolt that holds it on getting loose.

I torque it untill the engine starts turning with it (all the belts just turn). Is there a method to bracing it to turn it more? As that doesnt really take all that much effort. I dont think its seperated but I cant tell for sure. I dont know why it would just suddenly bend, but could that be the culprit? Do both belts have to be equally tensioned I have no idea on how to tighten the belt that runs the alternator. I only had to replace the belt that goes to the P\S.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Todd
Old 06-21-2004, 02:13 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
It doesn't matter how tight you get the pulley it will still slip. Your pulley is defective (broken)

The rubber (dampener) inbetween the outer and inner parts of the pulley has separated. Some people have prevented this from happening again by installing a one piece aluminum pulley with no rubber.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:36 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Loki
It is the bolt that holds it on getting loose.

I torque it untill the engine starts turning with it (all the belts just turn). Is there a method to bracing it to turn it more?
Todd
You need to hold it in place with a special subaru tool that fits in the 2 small holes on the outer edge of the pulley, then use a torque wrench on the bolt. You will never get it tight enough without holding the pulley in place.

Some here have also used a large screwdriver against the toothed flywheel at the back of the engine to keep it from turning while torquing the bolt. I haven't tried this and there has been concern over whether this could break off a tooth - I don't think it would, but again, I never tried it.

Another alternative method is using a rubber strap wrench which can be found at most auto stores or sears- the rubber strap wrnech wraps around the pulley the same way the belts do -

the downside of this is that holding 120lb-ft of torque on the pulley with the strap wrench puts alot of stress on the rubber dampener and may cause it to fail - I had one fail after a few weeks when I used a strap wrench to hold the pulley while I torqued the bolt.

This is not an issue if you go with a 1 piece aftermarket crank pulley. I'm not sure exactly if the strap wrench caused it or if my 215k miles pulley was just on it's last legs.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:57 AM
Loki

Where can I get a one-piece pulley?

Would this be an easy install or does the crank have to be opened?

Thanks again for all your help.