How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-17-2003, 11:49 PM
MarXVS

Power Steering question

Without any advanced warning, power steering fluid sprayed on the hot parts and within minutes my date and I weren't going out to dinner anymore. After a week in a service bay the mechanic replaced the rack and pinion steering gear and 2 fluid lines, and aligned. I'm convinced there was unecessary work done but I was at the mercy yadda yadda ... he admits rebuilt not new R/P installed but he says it should last a long time and I will be pleased with the feel ... I'm not!

Here's my question:
As long as I don't want to turn the wheel the handling is Ok (smoooth with no vibrations), but I can't believe how difficult it now is to turn the wheel. At rest I can't turn the wheel lock to lock with one finger like before. I have to give it a real good two fisted effort as if there were no power steering at all. This is not the way it's worked for 5 years. Should my steering be this hard after a few hours out of the bay? (I know this answer)

What could cause such a radical change in performance from this repair work? Something tightened too much? (He says they used Dextron III)

I will return to the mechanic shortly but I'm sure he'll give me guff about that's the way it's supposed to be blah blah blah. I don't feel good about this work and am concerned. Any words from the wise about what might be causing this.

Ok, I guess that was a long question for my first post. I tend to babble when I'm worried about my car but at least I have my (92) baby back.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:53 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

There may be something wrong with the electronic control system for the PS system. I know that it is possible to turn off the PS system electronicly. I did this one day when I was checking codes for the PS system on my 92 LS-L. There was no power assisted steering at all until I did something with the diagnostic connector. I am sorry but I do not remember what it was.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:46 AM
MarXVS

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
it is possible to turn off the PS system electronically. I did this one day when I was checking codes for the PS system on my 92 LS-L. There was no power assisted steering at all until I did something with the diagnostic connector.
I didn't know we had a feature like this. Why?
---------------

Update to my original comment:
In the light of day this morning I checked the fluid and it's a bit high. I'm wearing my Sunday-go-to-meetings, so the turkey baster will have to wait till after dinner but should I bother removing some?

My guess is not but would too much P/S fluid make it a very firm steer?