How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-21-2003, 04:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to Sidewinder Send a message via MSN to Sidewinder
Transmission Woes

Hey everyone... this is a basic question directed at all those who've had trouble with their transmission and gone though the process to fix/replace it. I have a 94 AWD and the transmission just failed me. So, I am looking at what I should do that will be most effective and cost effective.

For those who have had problems and required a replacement, what did you do?

Currently, I am looking at having a company rebuild the model (they do not carry the transmission so they're unable to send one out right away) or my mechanic has recommended a local man who rebuilds these components. The company that I am looking at (Certified Transmission) says that they do not rebuild, they remanufacture.

Anyway, what did people spend and so forth? Any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-21-2003, 04:48 PM
Green1995SVX

You should have the subaru dealer replace it with a genuine subaru remanufactured part. By doing anything else you're taking a big gamble with regards to the quality of the outcome.

Mike
Old 10-21-2003, 04:56 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX
You should have the subaru dealer replace it with a genuine subaru remanufactured part. By doing anything else you're taking a big gamble with regards to the quality of the outcome.

Mike
Mike has been brainwashed by the Subaru Corporate office, Clockwork Orange style.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 10-21-2003, 06:21 PM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
Honestly, my experience with Subaru service departments in the past is that you're taking a risk either way. The SVX is sort of the "red-headed stepchild" of Subaru's line... it was the car that almost killed Subaru because of the development costs of the car, then failed miserably in the marketplace (due to Subaru's lack of marketing IMHO, but that's another story). Without the Outback, I doubt Subaru would exist as an independent entity today... if at all. As a result, many in Subaru Service Dept's have never worked on one... some have never seen one... a couple probably have never heard of one.

This is what we get for owning an exotic car. Besides, Subaru outsources their transmission building as well... IMHO a tranny rebuilt by a reputable transmission shop is no better or worse than a "Corporate". It's just a matter of warranty... and even then a decent shop will provide one that's at least comparable to Subaru's.

Please take my 2c for what they're worth...
Old 10-21-2003, 07:19 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

I'd go for a Subaru Reman one as well BUT they only make them for the first couple of years. I know they don't for 95 and later I think they do for 94. According to Subaru's own policy you'd loose any warranty recourse putting the wrong year tranny into one of the later cars. I'd also trust my dealer to rebuild one but then again the other 6 in my area I wouldn't let change my oil.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:27 PM
Green1995SVX

There is a subaru reman for 94.

I can only defend the service department of the dealer that I work for by saying that the technicians that we have are very knowledgable about svx's. They work on our customers svx's on a regular basis (about 3-4 times a month) and they are the only people i trust to touch anything mechanical on my svx.

Mike
Old 10-22-2003, 12:05 AM

How many svx's in Slippery Rock PA.?

Tom

That's a Subaru
Old 10-22-2003, 07:56 AM
Green1995SVX

That I know of:

95 Green (mine)
92 Black
92 Black
94 Bordeaux
92 Silver
92 Silver
95 Red
92 Pearl
95 Unknown Color (made appointment for service last week and had slippery rock address)

To give you an idea of how many this is in relation to the size of the town, the town has 3 traffic lights.

The dealer where I work covers a big hunk of western PA including the north part of pittsburgh and up to near erie. This area is VERY thick with svx's.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:01 AM
Shot king

I can vouch for that one every time i go to Pitt. I'm in awe with all the svx's.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:27 PM
calmone

i agree it depends on who does the work. i would none the less check around on prices. a subaru rebuilt will probably cost alot more than any other option. i got mine rebuilt at a trannie shop for about $1,800 about eight thousand miles ago and have had no problems. knock on wood.
Old 10-22-2003, 05:13 PM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX

Mike
I meant no offence, Mike... this has been my experience with St. Louis dealers over 3 SVX's to-date. I'm just not convinced that the dealers here are any better than the little guy. Your shop may well be different... but there are also a LOT more SVX's in the NorthEast than down here in the Midwest. Just look at how many are for sale in NY/NJ/PA right now!!!
Old 10-23-2003, 01:03 PM

Thanks for the comments. The tranny is now in the shop and hopefully, in a week or so, I will be able to cruise the windy roads in the autumn air. Too bad I missed most of the autumn colors. Thank's for the comments.
Old 10-24-2003, 01:51 AM
black-svx

I'm just wondering why no one here recommended a switch to a 5-speed. I don't know what it is like to have my transmission fail on my SVX [knock on wood] so I am not there yet, but I have been working under the assumption that if it ever did fail, I would convert to a 5 speed. Good idea? bad Idea?
Old 10-24-2003, 08:55 AM

Smile

A five speed would be excellent, unfortunately, the amount of money required for such an endeavour is out this world (for me--being a poor college student with a hot car). Perhaps, someday, I may get a five speed (that is, when I am a rich college alumni).
Old 10-24-2003, 10:18 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally posted by sidewinder
A five speed would be excellent, unfortunately, the amount of money required for such an endeavour is out this world (for me--being a poor college student with a hot car). Perhaps, someday, I may get a five speed (that is, when I am a rich college alumni).
Its not much more expensive than having the 4eat rebuilt. I picked up all the parts needed for the conversion for $2100. If you don't do the work, then there are labor charges which would probably be around $1000.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.