Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2003, 05:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx
Engine Install (pt.2)

Ok so the engine is in and everything is hooked up. The only problem is the timing jumped about 7 teeth or so. It looks as if the tensioner pushed over, but i dont know how that would of happend. I tightened that sucker down good. Also when the key is turned to the run position there is a very noticeable humming type sound coming from the computer, or right around there. Its vibrating underneath the dash below the steering wheel. There is also no more bell when the door is open. I checked the lines to see if fuel was pumping and nothing at all. If any of you have any suggestions im all ears, really would like to get this bad boy running. The timing isnt that bad to do i just feel like im missing something, b/c i know everything was kosher when it went in. Well i have to go to school now but i figured if anyone can help it will be you all...THnaks in advance
-derek
Old 09-08-2003, 08:49 AM
Superbeast

I don't think the computer can buzz at all so it's probly a relay, possibly even the fuel pump relay. Can you turn the engine over? Does the battery still have a good charge? Sometimes if the battery is low it will just couse the relays to humm or buzz.

I would check to make sure the battery is good and if so just stick your head under the dash and try to feel witch realy is buzzing. ( not that they are that easy to get to but you get the idea.)
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 09-08-2003, 10:39 AM

I checked as best i could at the time, and it really felt like the computer was vibrating it very well could have been above the computer i guess..Is there a relay or something that could be buzzing above the computer???The battery i was using was brand new so thats not the problem. I just saw a picture of someones ac/compressor and they had a ground going off of it for the negative terminal, i have the starter wire and then the ground wire that is the same length attached to the bracket that is on the starter. Is this the correct spot for it???The car cranks over and over just not getting any fuel nor is it pulling fuel through. Also i had my manifold powder coated,and there is a ground on the back of it that got powdercoated as well. Does this need to be sanded down to the metal or is the screw a sufficient ground???Also i resprayed the engine bay while it was out, and didnt sand the area down where the ground under the battery goes, could this be a problem as well??? Also since its an electric fuel pump we shouldn't need to prime it at all correct???Sorry for the questions i just really really need to get this car started...Thanks in advance for any help
Old 09-09-2003, 02:41 AM

bttt
Old 09-09-2003, 05:19 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

T-belt slip

When I do the T-belt I take all the slack out of the cam sprockets before I push the tensioner to the max tension position. Then I tighten up the bolt for the tensioner, turn the crank a few times to make sure it all looks right.

You should fix the timing, it is off a lot.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:13 AM

Just so i'm positive on whats going on when you do the timing. You put the belt on and line the marks up and then push the tensioner over to the passenger side as far as it can and then tighten the bolts down correct???Hmm i guess i'll try again and see if i just screwed up last time. Also anyone have any words about the grounds or anything like that???I appreciate all the help thus far...
-derek
Old 09-09-2003, 09:37 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

First, can you hear the fuel pump spinning when you trun on the key (to run, not start)?

Second, yes you will need to clean all the ground points before re-attaching. Paint can be a very good insulator. Powder-coating is an excellent insulator.

Finally, did you compress the tensioner and lock the piston in place before you installed it? The manual states that the piston is to be compressed and held fast with a wire when you bolt on the assembly. Make sure you are at TDC. Align the pulleys with the fixed timing marks on the covers and then align the belt with those marks (one on the crank pulley and two (one each side) on the cam drive pulleys). Once the belt is in place, release the wire holding tensioner in its compressed state.

Keep in mind that as soon as the engine spins, the timing marks will not necessarily hit the marks every rotation. This really threw me when I re-built my engine last summer.

Good luck,
Todd
Old 09-09-2003, 12:40 PM

Yes I've been using the vice at home depot to compress the tensioner to put the pin in. Then once all the marks are lined up i pushed the tensioner over to passenger side of the vehicle and pulled the pin. Nothing moved and the marks were on, after cranking and cranking i decided to check again and they were off about 7 teeth. As far as the fuel pump turning on when the car is turned on to the run position I can't tell b/c the buzzing coming from my Ecu or area around that is so loud thats all i hear. I guess ill go start to clean the grounds. As far as the A/C compressor goes and the ground on it, is that where it is supposed to go or is it grounded right to the back of the engine on the bracket that holds the starter in? Thanks again for the help thus far.
-derek
Old 09-09-2003, 12:49 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
On my car, the negative batter cable bolts to a metal bracket on the starter mount.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 09-09-2003, 07:57 PM

Alright I just got home and am wondering about the timing marks. If all the marks on the pulleys still line up with the marks on the cover, but the belt isnt lined up the timing is still on correct???If not then I am definitely missing something in the process of setting the timing. Also now that the grounds have been sanded the buzzing went away under the dash. I still can not here the fuel pump starting whatsoever. IF any of you have any suggestions please enlighten me. I really am starting to get frustrated here. I feel like im so close yet so far....
thanks in advance
-Derek
Old 09-10-2003, 10:49 AM

bttt
Old 09-10-2003, 07:06 PM
Superbeast

Sorry, I had server problems last night. Anyway, so you cleaned all the grounds and the buzzing went away but it still won't start? The SVX fuel pump is pretty quiet but as long as your in a quiet spot you should be able to hear it. Are you sure you put the right hoses for the fuel pressure and return lines in the right spot ( I made this mistake once). As for the timming, yes as long as the pully marks are still lined up it dosn't matter where the belt marks are, they only line up again every so many revolutions.
You do still have a ground to the body off the battery right?
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 09-11-2003, 08:50 AM

No reason to be sorry....Yes the ground from the batter cable goes directly behind the drierside headlight about 6in. back (atleast this is where it is on my car). THis is one of the 2 grounds i sanded down ( the other being the intake manifold), since the sanding the buzzing under the dash has now stopped but the car still is just cranking. I was curious as to wether or not we can check to see if the plugs are gettting spark on our car???I know on my jeep and all other vehicles i could pull the plug and have someone crank the vehicle to see if the plug was sparking, but I wasnt sure since we had the coil paks if we could do that?? I ask this because i tried a few days ago and got no spark whatsoever. As far as the fuel lines go, The top line goes to the fuel filter on the nipple that is basically pointing towards the intake, then the middle one goes all the way back and i believe we have the small one going all the way back. Im not at my car right now though so i cant be positive on that. I know that i can normally hear the fuel pump b/c i remember hearing it for the first time wondering what it was....Is it possible that something happend to the fuel pump from sitting for so long???(~6mths.)I saw in the manual that the relays are under the dash, i figure I'll check those even though i'm sure they are fine. I heard you ccan check the fuel pump by reverse hooking up the wires at the tank and seeing if it pumps fuel out????Is this something that is possible on the svx???If not how would i go about checking the fuel pump? Do i have to drop the tank?? SOrry for the length, lots of questions...Thanks tremendously for the help so far everyone, and please keep it coming without you all i would be screwed...
thanks
-derek
Old 09-11-2003, 02:40 PM

alright the fuel pump is definitely pumping fuel now but it doesnt seem like it's getting any spark....So i guess i'm giving it a bump to the top to see if its possible to check the plugs the same way you can check them on a normal engine???
Old 09-11-2003, 04:34 PM

Just pulled the codes and came back with a 29 (Crank Angle Sensor #2) and a 13 ( Cam position sensor or circuit)
I take it these are the reasons that im not getting any spark and nothing turning over correct???ANy help here is greatly appreciated as to what i should do...Thanks in advance , ill be anxiously waiting your replies....
-derek
i can feel it, im so close to having her running again