Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2003, 06:49 PM
SvxNordic87

Unhappy Driver side lock doesnt work

I just bough my 94 Svx Ls a week ago. Everything worked perfectly including the power locks. For some stupid reason my mom took my car instead of hers. She didnt know how to lock it so I imagine she was screwing around with the locks. Later she told me she couldnt get the car to lock. Today when I tried to lock it, only the passenger door locked and it didnt make that beeping noise. The driver lock doesnt even try to lock and it is hard to manually push down. I have no clue to what could have happened to it when my mom took it. I am thinking a wire got loose or somehing. If anybody has any idea what went wrong with the lock or how to fix it, please reply. Thanks for reading this.
Dan
Old 06-10-2003, 06:59 PM

I'm far from saying this is what is wrong with your lock, but mine did the same thing and here's what it took to fix it (after I tried darn near everything else and spent months working on the thing).

Take off the door panel.
Take out the lock assembly from the door.
Open the housing of the door lock actuator.
Press the thin copper looking wire that tracks around the gear toward the center to straighten it back out like it should be. Leave the thicker copper lines alone

What happened was after someone (me) forced the locks once, the wire took a very, VERY slight bend that prevented proper operation. The bend is not really noticeable and for sure don't force it over much - just put a little pressure on it toward the centerline. If you force it too much you will have to find another door lock assembly so be careful if you try this. I don't think I've done a very good job describing this, and if you are willing to try the job, let me know & I'll work up a better explanation.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:08 PM
SvxNordic87

Lee- more info- willing to try it

Lee, thanks for reading and responding to my problem. How long did it take you, and what kind of tools do I need? Thanks
Dan
Old 06-10-2003, 07:32 PM

Well it took about a half hour to actually do the fix. It took me a couple of months of buying and trying many wrong things before I found the problem (but them I'm not know as a very bright bulb type either).

tools?

small flat screw driver (to get panel off under door handle).

medium phillips screw driver to get door panel screws off

larger phillips to undo the three screws on the exterior part of the door holding the latch mechanism

10mm wrench (I think) to undo a part of the latch under the door panel.

agile fingers to pop the clips that hold the 3 or 4 rods to the lock assembly, and to reach in blind and undo the two electrical plugs going to the assembly.

Small phillips to open the lock actuator motor assembly box

gentle touch hands for when you handle the wire inside the housing. You don't want to bend so much you get a permanent bend. You just need to put some pressure on it so it goes back to the proper position.

Huck369 also messed around with his locks for awhile. I think it turned out for him that a PO had just unplugged them for some reason and that can't be your problem, but you may contact him for other ideas on what he tried.

Also, on a 92 there is a door lock timer behind the security module (which is behind the glove compartment). In it are two relays. These relays are what trigger the door locks. It is possible they have gone bad. They can be replaced with a 9V relay usually stocked at Radio Shack for like $2.69. I know this because I thought mine were bad so I bought a new timer (that was a false trail for me, but you may wish to look into it). I replaced the relays in my old timer just to see how it would work. As it turns out, that's what's in my car now, working flawlessly.

that's all I can think of at the moment.

edit: to replace the relays (tool issue) you have to be willing to desolder the factory relays and solder on the new - the Radio Shack parts fit the circuit board perfect.

Last edited by lee; 06-10-2003 at 07:35 PM.