Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-27-2003, 02:37 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
ATF leaking from radiator?

Has anyone very managed to cause their radiator to crack and leak ATF by pushing the top of the radiator back to get in between it and the a/c condensor? I've got ATF leaking from my radiator, and this is the only way I can figure that I caused it to leak. I can't tell where its leaking exactly though. If anyone has any advice on how to fix without replacing the entire radiator, it would be much appreciated.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 05-27-2003, 05:34 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I think it is just the hose connections to the ATF cooler. The AFT cooler is in the radiator and the only exposed part is where the connections come out of the radiator. It could be left over from a spill.

To leak AFT from the radiator two things have to happen. One: The AFT cooler has to leak AFT into the coolant. Two: The coolant has to be gone and the radiator has to crack to let the AFT out. I guess that three.
Old 05-27-2003, 09:35 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
I think it is just the hose connections to the ATF cooler. The AFT cooler is in the radiator and the only exposed part is where the connections come out of the radiator. It could be left over from a spill.

To leak AFT from the radiator two things have to happen. One: The AFT cooler has to leak AFT into the coolant. Two: The coolant has to be gone and the radiator has to crack to let the AFT out. I guess that three.
That's good news because I do not want to buy another radiator. However, its definitely leaking, and I have no idea where its coming from. I'll have to climb under and watch it accumulate. Could be like watching grass grow. :-)

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 05-27-2003, 12:07 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
My trans cooler lines rusted on the radiator right where the lines are welded into the bottom tank. It rusted through the line first and started leaking ATF. I replaced it with a new radiator and have had no problems since.

I gave away the old radiator to someone who bypassed the stock cooler, just to get it back when I bought my second SVX, so I've now replaced that exact radiator twice since it started leaking coolant from the same area and from the top tank as well.

Based on the price of radiators, I would for sure check all hoses and any other areas for leaks before buying a new radiator.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 05-29-2003, 01:43 PM

Also, double check the power steering cooler line which is just a tube without fins that runs between(?) the A/C condensor and the radiator. Since the PS uses ATF, another possible source of the leak...?
'80 Honda CBX in-line 24 valve 6 cylinder