Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-24-2011, 04:23 PM

heat/air condition temp

Have a problem maintaining constant temp. While the car is moving, the blower will blow hot air when set to heat and cold air when set to air conditioner but if you stop at a traffic light or in stop/go traffic, the blower will blow ambient temp. air when you stop. As soon as you start moving, the heat or air conditioning will return. Any suggestion as to cause?
Old 09-24-2011, 05:15 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Re: heat/air condition temp

Check your coolant level #1
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 09-24-2011, 06:16 PM

Coolant level is normal. The coolant temp. is always normal, it's just the temp. of the air that changes when I stop and then it goes back to whatever temp. I've set when I start moving.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:23 PM
... a work in progress

Any solution to this? I'm having a similar issue. Air seems to slowly cool the interior (talking about over a long duration, highway driving mostly), nothing impressive like before, but when stopped it warms up noticeably. I have the unfortunate luck of owning a 92 with the R12 refrigerant, so I'm wondering what my options are considering R12 costs are high & I don't have a license to deal with the stuff.

I hear what you're sayin', but whatta ya mean?!
Old 07-20-2013, 03:53 PM

Registered SVX

Just top it up with r134a, it shouldn't do any damage. My car on the other hand has a leak somewhere so it wont hold refrigerant and im having the dealership go through the car to find and fix it, my dad keeps a little bit of r12 on hand so i can recharge it once its fixed.
1992 SVX Pearlie: AmsOil signature synthetic 10w40 and Ea15k20 filter, Cobb crank pulley, Outlaw Engineering spacers and tb bypass, LGT 5spd, Slotted Crossdrilled rotors and ceramic pads, 11:1 compression, EGR delete, Port & Polished heads, SaikoMichi catch can, A/c delete.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:42 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pav625 View Post
Any solution to this? I'm having a similar issue. Air seems to slowly cool the interior (talking about over a long duration, highway driving mostly), nothing impressive like before, but when stopped it warms up noticeably. I have the unfortunate luck of owning a 92 with the R12 refrigerant, so I'm wondering what my options are considering R12 costs are high & I don't have a license to deal with the stuff.
I also have this ''problem'' whit mine cars. My old chevy subruban and 92 svx have R12 refrigerant. But i have find this produck and i should try this on my chevy. My svx still blows cold air.
http://www.es-refrigerants.com/produ...it/details.asp

My subarus:
1992 Svx LSI 5-MT(3.54)
1998 Legacy BG 2.5L GX
Old 07-22-2013, 07:08 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

R12a refrigerant works well. Compatible with both R12 ans 134, although there is a caveat to drain the old stuff prior to use.. It's available under various brand names.

A word of caution. The leak stop product will destroy a service tech's equipment if it's in the system when evacuated.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:33 AM
... a work in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX_MY_BABY View Post
R12a refrigerant works well. Compatible with both R12 ans 134, although there is a caveat to drain the old stuff prior to use.. It's available under various brand names.

A word of caution. The leak stop product will destroy a service tech's equipment if it's in the system when evacuated.
So R12a can be added to existing system with plain R12, or are you saying all the existing R12 needs to be collected & then filled with R12a?

I don't mind trying to tackle a challenge here or there, but I'm the village idiot when it comes to refrigerant & don't want to cause any damage to the car

Old 07-23-2013, 11:27 AM

Registered SVX

You will end up discharging the system, ( against the lawn to allow it to just go out into the atmosphere ) less you can change the connectors with out loosing coolant. The 12 and 134 are different connectors. Mine was converted and works great. Leaks are usually O rings.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:29 PM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pav625 View Post
So R12a can be added to existing system with plain R12, or are you saying all the existing R12 needs to be collected & then filled with R12a?

I don't mind trying to tackle a challenge here or there, but I'm the village idiot when it comes to refrigerant & don't want to cause any damage to the car
Technically to comply with regulations you should evacuate the system. In reality a top up works fine, barring a major leak.
http://www.redtek.com/win_12a_faq.html
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:07 AM

Registered SVX

Do your fans run?

If you lose a/c cooling at stand still and it works fine when car is moving maybe there's no air flow across the condenser?

/T
Old 07-29-2013, 10:10 AM
... a work in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapani View Post
Do your fans run?

If you lose a/c cooling at stand still and it works fine when car is moving maybe there's no air flow across the condenser?
Good question. I just bought some r134a, but I'll check this first when I get a chance since I forgot to grab an adapter when I picked up the refrigerant. Thanks for the tip!!