How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-11-2009, 12:16 PM
SVX owner

Transmission Issues

I have a 1992 SVX LS-L that is experiencing some tranny problems. It has a tendancy to take to long to shift from 1st to 2nd. The RPM will get to @6500 before the shift takes place. I have had it looked at by two different people and both say it sounds like the a solenoid in the tranny. I have gone through and done the error codes for the transmission but it is clear of errors. what could cause the slip? I have checked the Transmission resistor and it Ohms out at 12.2 instead of the 15 ohms. Plus the Fluid is probably 17 years old and needs to be changed alng with the filter. I do not have a place to do the work myself so it is going into the shop tomorrow for the Valve cover gaskets and the Mechanic said he would take a look at the ATF. There are so many things that need fixed on this car, but it is worth it. I am just glad that the engine sounds solid. Does anyone out there have an idea as to what I should do. I also have a whirring sound coming from the back end, either differential or wheel bearings. Thanks
Old 03-11-2009, 12:34 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Re: Transmission Issues

sounds like a shot brake band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAESVX View Post
I have a 1992 SVX LS-L that is experiencing some tranny problems. It has a tendancy to take to long to shift from 1st to 2nd. The RPM will get to @6500 before the shift takes place. I have had it looked at by two different people and both say it sounds like the a solenoid in the tranny. I have gone through and done the error codes for the transmission but it is clear of errors. what could cause the slip? I have checked the Transmission resistor and it Ohms out at 12.2 instead of the 15 ohms. Plus the Fluid is probably 17 years old and needs to be changed alng with the filter. I do not have a place to do the work myself so it is going into the shop tomorrow for the Valve cover gaskets and the Mechanic said he would take a look at the ATF. There are so many things that need fixed on this car, but it is worth it. I am just glad that the engine sounds solid. Does anyone out there have an idea as to what I should do. I also have a whirring sound coming from the back end, either differential or wheel bearings. Thanks
Old 03-11-2009, 12:39 PM
SVX owner

After reading last night I too think it might have something to do with the Brake band. Whether it is shot, or needs adjusting. I did replace a starter on this vehicle and I am concerned that maybe in the midst of repalcing the starter I might have loosened the brake band. They are close together if I remember correctly. Thanks for your input.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Just some dude.

The brake band adjustment pin has a lock nut on it. There isn't a lot of material to wear on a brake band either. They tend to either be good or shot. If tightening the brake band works it will only be temporary and you will be damaging the drum. If you're going to get that transmission rebuilt hard parts damage is bad=expensive. I've never tried it but it might actually be possible to change the brake band with the transmission in the car and enough patience to fumble with doing something the wrong way. With the pan dropped and the valve body removed and the adjusting pin backed out the way out you may be able to get the brake band out and back in and then hopefully the strut. I can't guarantee it though.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:14 AM
SVX owner

So I was taking it to the shop last night to drop it off for the work that it is getting done today. As soon as I got over 40 MPH, I could hear a high tone, almost like a warning tone, or it could have been a a high pitch squeal from the transmission, I have no idea. Once again, no check engine lights and I checked the TCU error codes and there were none. This thing is starting to give me a headache..
Old 03-12-2009, 08:21 AM
Just some dude.

At 40 you would be in 3rd gear.

That means your high clutch is burnt too. Sounds like your transmission is toast. If you can't afford a new one I would suggest calling svxfiles for a low miles 4.11 or 4.44. My experience is that he can find nice clean ones and he can set up a matching rear end for you too.