How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-10-2008, 12:46 PM

Registered SVX
Qucik questions on Differential, tranny, Solenoid C change options

My front differential is shot, and I’m contemplating between installing used F. Differential or used forester/legacy/impreza transmission and rear differential. It would be depending on which part I could find very soon in reasonable shipping, but I have the following questions.

If I want it to be a drop in, and if installing whole transmission and rear differential, what model year, the donor car should be?

Once the mechanic drops the transmission, how much more $ should I pay for replacing duty solenoid C? ( if it is just run-of-the mill tranny shop not suby dealer) Could any one point me to a step by step direction on sol C change, if available? The shop says ~2 hrs and not sure whether this is a reasonable estimate.

Thanks!
Old 08-10-2008, 02:10 PM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Qucik questions on Differential, tranny, Solenoid C change options

I recently bought a '92 with a bad front diff. Loud clunking sound when slowly driving it up on the trailer. I searched www.car-parts.com for a SE region replacement, a few showed up. However, local tranny shop labor quotes for a diff change were more than a SVX tranny swap. And there was no guarantee that the old tranny didn't sustain some internal damage. On top of that, the cost of a Legacy/Forester tranny over an SVX replacment was even better. I decided to go with a good price on an early '98 Legacy tranny (4.44) and rear diff fom Budfreak. Never having done it before, but having a helpfull friend with shop and lift, not to mention my son, the old tranny was dropped in 4 hours and the replacement installed in 3. My inexperience gave me cold feet on the back end so the stock rear dif and the replacement 4.44 diff are going to a tranny shop for the gears and LSD swap out. So far the car's running nice with the FWD fuse in.

Looking at the chewed up and broken gears on the old diff, you wonder how this happens? Also, found a broken tranny mount. Which came first? Shouldn't the tranny swap also solve the selenoid C problem?
Gene
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)

Last edited by bwb3; 08-10-2008 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:30 PM

Registered SVX

Thanks for sharing your experience. The availability of higher gearing ratio tranny/rear diff is main reason for me to consider it.
O.K. 98 Legacy. How about forest or impreza? Which model year are compatible?

I think I actually like the lower ratio of stock SVX. So my best choice would be stock ratio differential / manual tranny. But I don't have fund to do manual swap now... So I prefer getting use Front Diff. but if I can't, I could go higher ratio tranny/rear. (Here I would still prefer a lower than 4.44 ratio if possible.) New front Diff. + Sol.c will cost me ~$750+.

Any idea how many hours / $ for replacing sol. C after dropping Tranny?

Last edited by redsvx94; 08-10-2008 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:16 AM

If you have the tranny shop fix your front diff, replacing your solenoid c should not take 2hrs. Since replacing the pinion gear involves removing the tail housing anyway...
After getting a 2hr estimate, I would be concerned that this shop doesn't really know what there're doing.