Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-12-2008, 10:24 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Safety Vehicle Experimental: Bad Accident Survival Stories

Momzsvx shared her sad story of another SVX possibly leaving this world, but the fact that no one was hurt again brought home the fact that among everything else, this is a relatively safe car, probably safer than a lot of current cars on the market in fact. It was one of Subaru's big focuses, as evidenced by one interpretation of the name.

So does anyone have any dramatic SVX survival stories to share?

I don't have one personally, and hopefully never will, but I can share a few I've picked up over the years.

About 10 years ago I read a review on a car review site that a lady had submitted. Her SVX had just been totalled, but she posted a review to praise it's safety. She was driving along when a Dodge pickup ran a stop sign right in front of her. She T-boned the truck hard enough that the truck tipped over onto it's side. The front of the SVX crumpled but she walked away with no injuries and her infant daughter strapped in her car seat in the rear was fine. In the review she said she wanted to find another SVX.

Another story comes from an old member here - the guy in Montana that eventually got sent to prison on some drug charges or something and the Feds were auctioning off all his property including half a dozen SVXes. He once posted how his love of the SVX started with some amazing account of crashing into a truck in his mom's SVX and then flipping it several times and walking away to the amazement of everyone. I forget the details, but I think it was posted somewhere here in the early days. Could be worth a search.

Unfortunately I do know of one SVX death and it was a member here. His name was Chris(?) Pape and Randy used to have a RIP memorial for him in his signature. He died several years back by driving his SVX off the road and into a ditch and hit a tree I believe.

On a lighter note, anyone have some good stories of how their SVX saved them from a fate a lesser car might not have? I'd hate to ever lose my SVX, but if it had to go out, saving my life as it's last act would be an honorable way.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...