How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-25-2007, 05:35 PM

exhaust fixed...engine noises...

Hi all.
Got the exhaust fixed. After being told by 2 muffler shops it needed the whole front head/exhaust pipe, it was in to a recommended mechanic for a tranny cooler& filter install and they were going to quote on fixing/making the new exhaust set-up for me. When I picked it up, they mentioned offhand that they fixed my exhaust problem...hole was in the straight section of pipe, so they cut it out and welded in new. She is sooo quiet! Since I've only had her 3 weeks, and all tha time very noisy, I can hear things in the engine that has me saying "What's that?", "Is that whirr supposed to be there?" You get the idea. LOL
The shop says she's in great shape and runs nicely, so I guess the sounds were there all along, and are normal (is anything "normal" about this car)
So thanks to all the info on the muffler/exhaust. I walked in with print outs of other people's set-ups, prices of parts, etc., all due to this wonderful network.
Cynth
PS Teenage son liked it better with sound!! Told him to research mufflers (Flowmasters etc) and then we can talk about it. With some $$ from him.
05 Mazda 3 (Hubby's DD)

"You win some, you lose some, you wreak some." Dale Earnhardt
Old 08-25-2007, 06:26 PM
H6 THE ONLY WAY!

Send a message via AIM to Seraphinwolf Send a message via Yahoo to Seraphinwolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic
Hi all.
Got the exhaust fixed. After being told by 2 muffler shops it needed the whole front head/exhaust pipe, it was in to a recommended mechanic for a tranny cooler& filter install and they were going to quote on fixing/making the new exhaust set-up for me. When I picked it up, they mentioned offhand that they fixed my exhaust problem...hole was in the straight section of pipe, so they cut it out and welded in new. She is sooo quiet! Since I've only had her 3 weeks, and all tha time very noisy, I can hear things in the engine that has me saying "What's that?", "Is that whirr supposed to be there?" You get the idea. LOL
The shop says she's in great shape and runs nicely, so I guess the sounds were there all along, and are normal (is anything "normal" about this car)
So thanks to all the info on the muffler/exhaust. I walked in with print outs of other people's set-ups, prices of parts, etc., all due to this wonderful network.
Cynth
PS Teenage son liked it better with sound!! Told him to research mufflers (Flowmasters etc) and then we can talk about it. With some $$ from him.
LOL I know what you mean with noise. I got a chance to see the difference first with mine. after I'd say a month my bracket for the straight pipe to the Muffler broke and thusly no Muffler AT ALL! Sounds cool but I know it really isn't. But at least I know what it is...OH and can fix it with a new bracket a right sized socket and the ratched in 5 minutes. And yes they are VERY quote when everything is how it was new. Rev all you want you won't hear much. Good luck with your SVX.
-Gaddis
Rota Tarmac 3's 18x8" on 245/40/18 Dunlop SP Sport 600's, Perrin light weight crank pulley, PRW radiator, custom coilovers(not GC's), 9006 HID 4300k 50W low beams, DIY garage door lip, and SVXfiles brake kit. Fixxed exhaust so no more sweet sound.

97 White/Black trim Impreza Outback Sport (March 13/08) 150K-180K(sensor broken)Good news is EZ30R and 05' 6speed full powertrain swap is in motion!: Will be doing more work as I can. Gonna be run by a Hydra so yeah fun to be had.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Gaddis
Old 08-27-2007, 06:41 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic
Hi all.
Cynth

Nice one Cynth

I actually like them to be quiet. My latest '95 is excellent in that respect. Standing beside it you can't hear it with the engine on.

It also does not have the rattle or fizzle in the resonator. Baffles can work loose in the resonator below the gearbox, and this causes a rattle at certain revs. It drives owners nuts! It makes an otherwise tight and high class car sound like a banger.

Hopefully you won't get this, but if you do, at least there is a cure!

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Last edited by svxistentialist; 08-27-2007 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:04 AM

I stopped to buy flowers at a roadside stand yesterday. Put her in park and hopped out with her running...then the time I was out of the car, I kept thinking "Didn't I leave the car running?" Couldn't tell, even when I got back the eight feet to her. That's quiet.
05 Mazda 3 (Hubby's DD)

"You win some, you lose some, you wreak some." Dale Earnhardt