Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
Phil, I appreciate and agree with all you say regarding advantages when running a an engine above its ratings. I too have enjoyed racing a modified Mini Cooper.

However in affect what has now being generally indicated here, is that the original system as designed and fitted to the SVX is inadequate and faulty. Modern engines at designed to operate at a preset temperature, above normal boiling point and the cooling fluid is held under pressure so that this is achieved.

The system has been designed with normal coolant as has been specified as the bench mark. Why doubt the manufactures technical ability and lower the deigned operating temperature, in order to advantage the supplier of another cunningly advertised product?
Hi Trevor

In general I agree with your sentiment. It does makes me smile when viewing the general "modified" or "custom" car scene in UK/Europe/US/Asia as a lot of the so-called "modifications" are bunk and have no worth what-so-ever. My usual quote is along the lines of: "The car manufacturers spend millions of dollar/Euros/Yen designing a car, with "proper" designers, stylists and engineers developing the product to the point where they are satisfied that it will perform sufficiently well for their intended market and useage, and release it for sale. Then some "berk" (insert insult of choice here) with a GCE in woodwork thinks he can improve on it by slapping on a couple of slabs of GRP, some body filler, and a "cold air intake kit" made of parts from the local DIY store." Most of these "creations" look like their owners ram-raided a hobby shop and got lots of parts from different model aircraft kits stuck on at random and painted in the same fashion..........

Not that I have anything against home-made performance parts, I indulge in this myself on occasion, but the "one size fits all" multi-brand no thought required modifications like "bung a K&N on it" or "that'd look great with some Lexus lights on it" do get my goat. But lets not forget no-matter how ill advised or naive these guys are they are the car enthusiasts of the future, and may well be "into" SVX's in a couple of years time.........

I don't think anyone actually inferred that the cooling system fitted to the SVX was inadequate. From my experience the cooling system of the SVX seems perfectly adequate for it's purpose, maintaining operating normal temperature pretty well in the UK climate under all driving conditions. I think that NZ has a similar climate to UK, so I would expect the system to perform the same for you as I, but as for hotter climes I cannot say.

I'm not sure exactly what the 'stat temperature for SVX is, or what the exact temperature at mid-scale on the temp gauge is, but I guess the stat is about 88 deg C and mid scale about 95 deg C. I also guess that in most situations actual indicated operating temp is somewhere between 90 and 100 deg C. In this case the stat will be wide open and not controlling the operating temp, but the capacity in the cooling system as a whole will. More load more heat, more airflow more cooling, but basically just bobbling about between 90 and 100 deg C.

All I can practically report from my experience of the SVX is that under normal use, both town and highway the temp gauge needle was, to me, marginally but perceptively lower after adding the product than before without doing anything else to the system. If in reality this is product lowered the actual temp by more than 5 deg C I'd be sceptical, but if it makes someone happy to have 5 deg more margin than they did for such a low cost, with no (apparent) adverse effects.........

In the case of this particular product I can report that it did "do something" in my practical experience, which is more than can be said for a lot of "additives" products out there. I don't have any experimental results to back this up, merely observations in both road and track use in the mini and road and highway use for the SVX.

Would I recommend this product ?? Yes, if used as described and for the product's intended purpose. Will it cure someones overheating problem ?? Not a chance.

Phil.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:10 AM

Registered SVX
Hi Phil,

I agree entirely with what you say, particularly as all is so well set out, but you have missed a point and I say again.

"The system has been designed with normal coolant as has been specified as the bench mark. Why doubt the manufactures technical ability and lower the deigned operating temperature, in order to advantage the supplier of another cunningly advertised product? "

It is a point that lowering the operating temperature will reduce the engines efficiency. The temperature as designed surely was no mistake. We are probably talking about that which does not matter, but then, does it?

Special regards, Trevor. *<)

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!