Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-17-2006, 02:11 PM

Registered SVX
Remote Locking/Alarm

Hi,

Finally found my perfect SVX Alcyone in Japan after 4 years of searching and it arrived in the UK this week!

It has the key operated remote locking (possible Alarm) but the key is damaged and not working.
My local Subaru dealer here had no idea what an SVX was, Great start! and could not find a key with built in transponder ( or seperate remote fob for that matter).

Any ideas if this is a Japanese market item or would it be available in the US as a blank key? or even if a seperate keyring type remote fob is available that could be programmed?

I would like to have the option of using the origional key and my cat1 alarm can be wired into the factory locking and saves and extra bulky remote fob it comes with.

Thanks
Darren
Old 11-20-2006, 03:38 AM
Phil & Belha

Hi Darren, welcome to the club!

I think the Infra-red central locking (no alarm) was only standard in Japan, but it may have been an option in some parts of Europe. I have seen a UK SVX with the slot cut in the driver's door handle for the infra-red sensor. USA models have a completely different system with an alarm.

I read somewhere that you can program the locking system to any infrared remote you like, but I don't have the procedure for doing it. I'd love to know how to do that. I've also seen a Japanese website where a guy built his own remote control because for some reason he couldn't get one from Subaru.

I'm not sure it's worth the effort though. My remote keys only work if you hold them about 4 inches from the lock and aim it very carefully at the sensor. It takes several tries.

You can certainly wire a cat 1 alarm into the system, but the problem is that most alarm installers have never worked on an SVX before and don't have a clue. We had a Cobra alarm professionally fitted to our 92 SVX and we had to take it back twice because the alarm guy couldn't figure out the wiring. Even now, the door handle code entry doesn't work on that car and the auto-locking is sporadic.

I fitted the alarm to our Legacy myself and am planning to do the same to our 94 SVX as I suspect the wiring will be similar. As I remember, there is one particular control wire: grounded=unlocked, floating=locked. If you want to investigate, the keyless entry module is located next to the reel for the driver's seat belt and the central locking controller is located above the glovebox.

What is your car like?
What version? (http://www.geocities.com/jamsvx/versions.html)
Any pictures?

Phil.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II

Last edited by b3lha; 11-20-2006 at 03:41 AM.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:58 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
I used to have it. It is a one button central locking remote.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:19 AM

Registered SVX
Hi,

Thanks for the advice.

The car is a version L in mica black with black leather.
It an 11/95 grade 4.5, 1 owner from new and covered just over 70,000 miles It has been part of a collection from new. it even has the plastic on the door cards and origional nasty blue swirl pattern fitted mats with the stainless sva Alcyone badges in as new conditon!

I import cars from Japan as my business so was lucky enough to have the contacts in Japan when this 1 came up for grabs.
It was well worth the 4 year wait to find the right 1, it is virtually as new & totally standard.

The speed de-limit page has been a god send today! The guys I use in SVA prep didnt have a wire code for the SVX!

Im giving up with the remote key idea, I'm having a toad i606 cat 1 alarm fitted so will use the alarm fob for the locking, window closure & remote boot release. I managed to get hold of a genuine prodrive JDM key blank that I have had cut to fit.

Cheers
Darren
Old 11-27-2006, 01:56 AM
Phil & Belha

Sounds like you've got a real beauty. Be sure to bring it to the next summer's meeting so we can all drool over it.

A lot of people don't like the floor mats, but they do grow on you. The pattern looks to me like blue roses on green leaves.

I'm glad the delimit page helped. Hope the alarm wiring works out OK.

Phil.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
Old 12-02-2006, 02:18 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha
... the keyless entry module is located next to the reel for the driver's seat belt and the central locking controller is located above the glovebox.
In 94 and up model years the keyless/alarm module is in the trunk.

See this post by "PhatWeasel": After market alarm install document

I'm working on a "plug-n-play" installation of after-market alarm modules via the SVX's factory alarm harness. I've found the proper connector shell, just looking for a supplier for the contact pins. Stay tuned for an update.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:32 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXdc
In 94 and up model years the keyless/alarm module is in the trunk.
We're talking about a JDM model built between 91 and 93 (even though Darren's car was first registered 11/95). My S40-II (built late 1994) has the control module next to the driver's seatbelt reel.

It is a different system to the USDM model: It is operated by an infra-red remote which is built into the ignition key. The remote has a range of only a few inches and must be carefully aimed at a sensor in the driver's door handle.

Great idea to make a plug-and-play harness for aftermarket alarms! It will save a lot of butchered wiring from alarm installers that don't know what they are doing. I'd like to see the diagrams once you have them worked out to see whether I can adapt it to work on my JDM cars.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II

Last edited by b3lha; 12-04-2006 at 02:36 AM.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:33 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha
... It is operated by an infra-red remote which is built into the ignition key. ...
I had no idea Subaru used such a different animal than what we see in the USDMs. Even the 92/93 models here still had the same module and pinout as the 94-up models.

Quote:
... I'd like to see the diagrams once you have them worked out to see whether I can adapt it to work on my JDM cars.
Phatweasel put together an installation and wiring guide in a PDF file. That should tell you what you need to know. See the link in my previous post.

Let me know if your module uses the same pinout (but I'm guessing it will be completely different).