Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-30-2006, 11:52 AM
cpelsy2k1

exhaust system question

hey guys,

im just about to order some exhaust parts for a custom cat back system for my svx. I looked at a bunch of people on the forum and what they did for exhaust and here is what i am thinking. From the headers two Dynomax Magnum Glasspack Mufflers, 2.5 in/out to a magnaflow 2.5 in/out y pipe to another Dynomax Magnum Glasspack Muffler, to a high flow 2.5 in/out cat, and finally to a crossflow dynomax 2.5 in/2.25 out muffler. Im going to take it a good shop that will custom bend me the pipe and throw up everything in there. Does that parts list sound good? Any last minute ideas before i order in the next few days? Thanks!
Old 05-30-2006, 01:40 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpelsy2k1
hey guys,

im just about to order some exhaust parts for a custom cat back system for my svx. I looked at a bunch of people on the forum and what they did for exhaust and here is what i am thinking. From the headers two Dynomax Magnum Glasspack Mufflers, 2.5 in/out to a magnaflow 2.5 in/out y pipe to another Dynomax Magnum Glasspack Muffler, to a high flow 2.5 in/out cat, and finally to a crossflow dynomax 2.5 in/2.25 out muffler. Im going to take it a good shop that will custom bend me the pipe and throw up everything in there. Does that parts list sound good? Any last minute ideas before i order in the next few days? Thanks!
I'd lose the first set of glasspacks and y-pipe for 2" straight pipe into a 2"in 2 1/2"out 2-1 magnaflow cat, then a aftermarket resonator then to a 2 1/2" in 21/4" dual out magnaflow muffler. Or you could go with 2 1/4" true duals with flowmasters or even glasspacks. You don't want to go to big in pipe size right after the headers as you will probally lose low end torque. My system is pretty much as described. 2" straight pipe from headers to 2-1 magnaflow cat to a stock resonator then to a magnaflow 2 1/2"in dual 2 1/4" outlet muffler. It has awesome power with this setup and I like it. Try contacting Svxfiles about it. He's had about 15 different exhaust setups now and can tell you what works. Good luck.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:15 PM
hophead

Exhaust set up

Hey Budfreak, your system sounds nice but what was its $$$? My local exhaust guy said IF he did a custom job, but he did not really want to mess with it, he would charge about $2000. He said it was "a plumbers nightmare". He fixed a small leak for me in the front gaskets to the cats for $180 parts and labor. He said he had to be real careful because some of the pipe was thin and weak.
By the way, I'll send pics to you of your old spoiler on my 92. Put it on this weekend. Looks great, thanks. Fred
Old 05-30-2006, 02:16 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
I agree...definitely don't go so large immediately after the header. 2" is probably as large as you want to go in that area. I'll leave the rest to the guys who have tried multiple setups.
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 05-30-2006, 02:46 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Unless you are going to run NOX, S/C, or a turbo, 2" OD/1,7/8" ID is fine for the headpipes, and 2, 1/4"-2,1/2" for the rest does not impede gas flow.
I prefer strait through resonators, rather than chambered mufflers.
And the stainless steel "Ultra Quiet Design" resonators from Verocious Motorsports do a GREAT job of quieting things down.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 05-30-2006, 03:22 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by hophead
Hey Budfreak, your system sounds nice but what was its $$$? My local exhaust guy said IF he did a custom job, but he did not really want to mess with it, he would charge about $2000. He said it was "a plumbers nightmare". He fixed a small leak for me in the front gaskets to the cats for $180 parts and labor. He said he had to be real careful because some of the pipe was thin and weak.
By the way, I'll send pics to you of your old spoiler on my 92. Put it on this weekend. Looks great, thanks. Fred

Glad to hear the spoiler is alive and well again. Glad I could help. I paid 70 bucks for my muffler and 60 for my cat from performancepeddler. Call them for the best prices.Look in my budfreak1 locker for pics of it. Svxfiles put it together for me. He still has the muffler and I'm just waiting for him to put it together so it will bolt up. I'm running a stock muffler right now. Find a cheaper exhaust guy.(Svxfiles comes to mind) For the money you'll save it would be worth the drive. Waiting for pics. Jason
Old 05-30-2006, 09:56 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
That exhaust guy is full of it. I had a complete header-back exhaust built with mandrel bends and top-of-the-line stainless steel exhaust parts, and the total cost was $1200 including labor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hophead

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:23 PM
cpelsy2k1

am i going to see a big difference between using a resonator or a glasspack muffler to quiet the exhaust down in terms of performance or exhaust flow? Also thanks for the tips so far, i think i may now go, 2, 2" glasspacks into a y pipe, then a 2.5 " glasspack, to a high flow cat, and then to 2 dynomax or magnaflow mufflers, im looking to do a system real similar to mbtoloczko, you can check out his system in his locker http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?mbtoloczko, thanks!
Old 06-02-2006, 09:34 AM
The car named NIGHTMARE

Send a message via MSN to Nomad
just wonder...

I think of : anybody ever dynoed an exhaust before and after??? I think i'll do it this summer, i'll have to find a dyno near my location, like Montréal. Could be interresting ? no ? So maybe I could play with the sonic wave or scavenge effect....humm....