Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-30-2006, 12:27 AM
$13000 and counting...

Send a message via AIM to Crusader Send a message via MSN to Crusader Send a message via Yahoo to Crusader
I had no success with any of my patch attempts... but I never had time to remove the rad and drain it, I needed to drive the car too much... It smoked at stoplights and I think the antifreeze leaking all over the place caused my crank pulley to separate, but the engine never came anywhere near overheating.

eventually (~$600 later) I had a brand new OEM radiator , next day shipped and installed at a shop. Wish I would have had time to not ship it next day and do it myself, would have cut that number to like 440.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:10 PM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse
Quote:
Originally Posted by intelisevil
I installed my band-aid today. I went to the store for some JB Weld and bought a Permatex Radiator Repair Kit instead. The kit is very complete and has a much shorter curing time than JB Weld. One drawback is that it's a one time use product.

The kit includes fine sand paper for cleaning/roughing up the surface and an alcohol wipe for final cleaning. After you've prepped the area with the included materials, you cut a piece of fiberglass mesh (included) to size. Mix up the two part epoxy resin in its plastic bag, cut off the end of the bag and spread some of the epoxy on the crack. Apply the fiberglass mesh and cover with the rest of the epoxy. Use the supplied brush to make sure everything is smoothed out nicely. Then wait about 30 minutes to cure.

The only thing not in the kit was scissors to cut the fiberglass and open the plastic bag of mixed epoxy.

My PWR radiator is on its way . . . $500 shipped.

Dan
Good luck with the band aid, mine held up for about a week before it started leaking again.

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 04-02-2006, 08:39 PM
Giong back to the beaters...

mine did about the same....next mod RADIATOR!!!! ....yeah I've been driving with a cracked radiator for a couple of months now and so far have not overheated it
89 240sx se red ~165k miles Gone and unknown
89 240sx se Black~185k R.I.P.
85 Toyota pickup ~205k R.I.P.
85 BMW 325e ~ Gone and unknown
85 Ford Mustang getting engine swap now!
05 Colorado ~108k Daily Driver
Old 04-05-2006, 03:47 PM
Jeff Koren

My Radiator Patch...plus duct tape and a towel

I also tried the off the shelf radiator patches while waiting for a new radiator. After reading this forum, I had a good feeling it would fail (crack was front-top of radiator). To keep the car decently clean if and when it failed, I duct taped a folded up towel over the patch to absorb the radiator fluid that would leak out when it failed. It did fail after a few days (could tell because the towel was wet). The towel also seemed to help keep the embarrassing steam from coming out from under the hood while stopped in traffic (I drive though a pretty nice area to get to/from work and it is embarrassing to have a steamy car next to BMWs, Mercedes, etc.).

Note I drive the car only 10-12 miles at a time to/from work taking about 20 minutes.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:56 PM
word words wording

Im guessing heat cuases them to crack but dont all radiators get hot? whats the deal with ours? Are SVX's that dam special

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 04-06-2006, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Koren
To keep the car decently clean if and when it failed, I duct taped a folded up towel over the patch to absorb the radiator fluid that would leak out when it failed.
I did the same while awaiting my radiator, to keep the spray from covering the engine bay.

dcb
Old 04-06-2006, 07:08 AM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
My Volvo radiator cracked in the same place at 110,000 miles. It's not just SVX's.
Gene
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)
Old 04-07-2006, 08:02 PM
word words wording

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwb3
My Volvo radiator cracked in the same place at 110,000 miles. It's not just SVX's.
Gene
It just seems to be more common on a SVX. 3 out of 4 ive owned have had cracked raditors. sup wit dat

Old 04-08-2006, 01:37 PM
6MT STi-ified, now with R180!

Send a message via ICQ to Nemesis Destiny Send a message via MSN to Nemesis Destiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by intelisevil
I'm still hoping to hear from someone who can tell me if their temperature gauge moved beyond the normal horizontal position when their radiator blew.
Dan
To add to the replies, I can definitely confirm that the gauge WILL move if your rad is cracked. When mine went, it was late December, early January, as low as -30 degrees Celsius, and it still overheated.
1992 LS-L Touring, Liquid Silver w/ Black, 110k mi. "Alice." Rebuilt title. Mods: WRX 6-CD changer, 17x8" Motegi LC-12 (16.5lbs), PWR rad, Perrin LCP, JDM v.8 6MT + R180, Koni + Ground Control (325f/280r), Earthworm Bushings. Awaiting resto.
1994 LSI The legendary "Shotgun Slade" 110k mi and still going strong!

2005 Outback XT Limited 5MT, Obsidian Black Pearl, 211k km, daily driver.
1999 Mazda MX5 base 5MT, Twilight Blue Metallic, 152k km. "Twilight Sparkle" Summer daily driver!
2007 Honda CR-V, some awful shade of light green *yawn*

1992 LS-L Touring, Ebony Mica, 176k kms. Parts car. SCRAPPED.
1992 LS-L, Dark Teal, 367k km. "Wintergreen" the winter beater.*SCRAPPED due to rust*