Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-07-2005, 04:31 PM

Angry No Lights

I was on my way home driving on the freeway when my dash lights, console indicator lights, lighter light, and the lights for the climate control went out. The shift indicator on the dash and warning lights still work. I pushed the buttons on the climate control and got heat and different vents, but no green lights or temp gauge. I pulled the 10A ILLUMI fuse it was blown, so I replaced it and started the car and it blew again. I replaced that one and tried it again, but this time it didn't blow and still no lights. Anybody have an idea whats up. I NEED HELP!!!!
Old 11-07-2005, 04:36 PM
Shadabob

Wow, sounds just like my first SVX. Second day I owned it had the same exact thing happen. Double check make sure that is the right size fuse. Mine was caused by a short in the lighter. I never used it, but if I wiggled it a bit it would blow the fuse on occasion.

Good luck
Erik
Old 11-07-2005, 04:55 PM

I have been using my lighter alot lately, maybe I'll try screwing with that and checkin the fuses. I just don't understand why the third fuse didn't blow yet nothing works. I'm thinking it might be a relay. I looked in my Chilton and don't know what circuit these lights are on, I'd like to test it with a volt meter.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:09 PM
OasisRed

I'm having a very similar problem

I'm having a similar problem. What I can tell you is that there is another 20 amp fuse under the hood that also controls the dash illumination, security system button, cigarette lighter, etc. Mine keeps blowing repeatedly and the dealer can't replicate the problem.

I had a cell phone charger that basically fell apart in the lighter and I later found a piece in the lighter slot. Even after having the lighter replaced (I broke it and the mounting trying to get the piece out), the fuse continues to blow. It doesn't blow right away and usually doesn't blow until I've been driving a while. I do have the lights on during the day and the climate control and radio are also on at the time.

The frustrating piece is that the fuse controls the security system (I keep walking away without locking the car) and the tail light and dash lights make it very difficult to drive at night both from a getting pulled over standpoint (can't see the speedometer) and from a safety standpoint.

Any other hints or ideas to have the shop guys investigate would be much appreciated.